BC Boards

How long do play sessions last?

First week down, and the house is still standing. My new pup Dave is fitting in to our home just fine.

Housebreaking is going very well, leash training coming along great. He and Maggs are becoming

great buddies. He is definately "Momma's boy" though. I'm good enough when my wife isn't around,

but when he sees her, I'm invisible to him. It's not quite that bad, but she's his favorite.

Anyway, the reason for post. How long do play sessions go on for any of you with younger dogs?

These two will go for an hour or more in the house with no signs of stopping. I'm not complaining,

I'm glad they get along, but after that long, they're both just slobbered up messes. If one decides

to quit, the other keeps it going and vice versa. Was just wondering if this will slow down with age

or is it just the puppy pestering stage? Neither show any signs of aggression during these times.

Been a long time since we've had a pup this age, maybe I just blocked it out of memory

from many years ago :rolleyes: .

I let ours go as long as they want - but Psyche's a 7 month old, and Bella's a two year old GSD. They play, and play, and play, and eventually, we have to tell them to go to another room. They'll rough house, then Psyche will bring me a toy, and I'll throw it for a while, then they go outside to play.

The playing never stops here - not until they're crated which is only when we're not home, or it's nighttime.

A very good question. I have no idea how long play sessions would last if I didn't intervene. After a while, either I fear for my furniture or what little grass I have left in my back yard, and I tell 'em to take a break.

Annie will be 5 years old next month. Play sessions start when she gets up in the morning (roughly 5:30 AM), and last until she goes to bed (roughly 9:30 PM). In 5 years, I have never seen her stop or rest during the day; the only time she is calm is when we have to crate her for a short period while we are out. There is light at the end of the tunnel, however; the vet feels that Annie should calm down and start taking naps by the time she is 17 or 18. (Memory would do me no good; we have NEVER had a dog like Annie before!)

IMHO, now is the time to start training your pup how to chill and have down time. Energy and drive do not need to equate into nonstop activity. Many Border Collies can and do learn how to relax when they are not needed to work or it is not a good time to play. Plus circumstances change. Their playmate is no longer available. Play time needs to be more structured because of a move or change in work schedule. The dog (or you) becomes sick or injured and needs to rest. 18 months ago, my Sheltie had to go on crate rest for 6 weeks. It was no fun for a mild mannered 9 year old dog. It would be much harder for a young, energetic dog. And pure misery for an energetic dog who never learned to settle.

Some dogs do seem unable to learn an "off switch." But I believe that most of them can if they are taught. Personally, I find the ability to settle really important in a dog I live with. Quinn was a wild one as a youngster. For the first few months, I felt like I had brought home a coyote puppy. I figured out a schedule of play, training, crate time and quiet hanging out together that worked for both of us. By 6 months, he went from being exhuasting to the best puppy I ever had. Today I am thrilled to report he is a fabulous companion who is happy to be on the go all day but is just as great at hanging out with me at home, work or in the car.

Every puppy is different, ranging from barely giving their owners a moment's trouble from day one to never learning how to be mellow even at the end of their lives. Chances are your pup falls somewhere in between and you will be able to train him to be a dog that you find a joy to live with.

IMHO, now is the time to start training your pup how to chill and have down time. Energy and drive do not need to equate into nonstop activity. Many Border Collies can and do learn how to relax when they are not needed to work or it is not a good time to play. Plus circumstances change. Their playmate is no longer available. Play time needs to be more structured because of a move or change in work schedule. The dog (or you) becomes sick or injured and needs to rest. 18 months ago, my Sheltie had to go on crate rest for 6 weeks. It was no fun for a mild mannered 9 year old dog. It would be much harder for a young, energetic dog. And pure misery for an energetic dog who never learned to settle.

Some dogs do seem unable to learn an "off switch." But I believe that most of them can if they are taught. Personally, I find the ability to settle really important in a dog I live with. Quinn was a wild one as a youngster. For the first few months, I felt like I had brought home a coyote puppy. I figured out a schedule of play, training, crate time and quiet hanging out together that worked for both of us. By 6 months, he went from being exhuasting to the best puppy I ever had. Today I am thrilled to report he is a fabulous companion who is happy to be on the go all day but is just as great at hanging out with me at home, work or in the car.

Agreed 110%!!

I think I'd go nuts if my dogs didn't know how to chill!

I know Odin's sire is a very easy-going, relaxed, content sort of guy, so I may have it easier than some. Still, Odin is the type of dog that gets the sort of awed-nervous comment a lot: "Wow. A LOT of energy!" But he can still chill. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise that he had major surgery followed by crate rest at 8 months, because this dog who wants to constantly go-go-go on a 7am to 9:30pm schedule too (if allowed or enabled), will lay down and sleep all day if need be. As a pet dog, it really comes in handy on a day like today where me and DH both have terrible colds and are not. going. on. walkies. Odin accepts it and relaxes, even if a bit disappointed in the change in routine.

I am interested in the dog-dog question too, though. I'm a 1st-time dog owner who has had multiple family dogs growing up but never more than one dog at once. I wouldn't know how much play would be normal, either. We are moving towards adding to our pack ( :D) , and I wouldn't know when to shut it off. I do relatively quickly with him and Benway (5-10 minutes at most of bitey-slappy face, and only if all stays reasonable), but I realize the cat-dog thing must just be different, even with Benway the way he is. Odin plays with Margie the doberman until she can't, but she's older (8 yrs). It can last 3 hours when we first arrive there, but will lessen the longer we stay. Margie gets very sore, poor thing :rolleyes: But she does seem to be enjoying herself immensely!

Every puppy is different, ranging from barely giving their owners a moment's trouble from day one to never learning how to be mellow even at the end of their lives. Chances are your pup falls somewhere in between and you will be able to train him to be a dog that you find a joy to live with.

I completely agree with you on the need for downtime. He will willingly go to his crate and settle

down without too much fuss, and my female will then settle in like she always has. Well,

not always has, she was probably 18 months old before her "off switch" really became apparent.

I think he'll do fine, as he is showing real progress in just a short time.

Now, outside, they don't seem to be as "in your face" with each other for near as long of periods.

They run and chase for 15 minutes or so, then Dave wants to play fetch and Maggs is usually

content to just hang out with me or look for chipmunks.

Also, while indoors, just separating them on opposite sides of the baby gate will calm both down,

until the next go 'round....