BC Boards

Bluegrass?

I'll be pulling in on Monday, helping out all week, and leaving next Monday. I know a lot of folks that have been there before do not seem to be entered this year. The economy has hit lots of folks hard...

Robin French, Christine Henry, and Denise Wall are all running dogs in Open but I didn't check all the classes to see who might be running elsewhere. Eileen Stein's on the wait list. Joan (It's a Dog's Lyfe) might be there also.

How would you guys like to get together for a dinner? The handlers' dinner is Saturday evening, and as far as I know, volunteers are able to purchase a ticket and enjoy that. It is quite a bit of fun and a chance to socialize.

I wondered if just you ladies would like to do dinner another night, perhaps Sunday since that's the only day Joan will be there? Normally, I don't eat out on a Sunday but since it's away from home, I think that would be okay for me if everyone would like to get together after the awards are given out. Otherwise, I'd prefer Friday maybe? There is a really nice Chinese buffet within a few miles, a really good Mexican restaurant, and also one of those el-cheapo spaghetti places, as well as other options.

Robin Q, I saw your name on the volunteer schedule, and you can locate me most anytime by that schedule.

Robin French, Christine, or Denise - Want to join us?

I won't be reachable after early tomorrow morning except by cell phone so PM or email me if you want that number.

Julie - I'm PM'd you and will miss seeing you there. Next year, hopefully, and at the 2010 Finals, right?

Robin and Bill were overall reserve in P/N (with a 1st yesterday and a third today). It looks like Robin and Jet and Christine and Tweed made it into the top 20 percent for the first go round of open (as well as Dee Penatzer and Rob--Dee doesn't post on these boards but lives nearby, and Rob is Larky's grandsire.....). Also it looks like Robin Q. (Pippin'sPerson) came back from a tough go yesterday to win the second go round of N/N with Hamish. Way to go ladies!

J.

Robin and Bill were overall reserve in P/N (with a 1st yesterday and a third today). It looks like Robin and Jet and Christine and Tweed made it into the top 20 percent for the first go round of open (as well as Dee Penatzer and Rob--Dee doesn't post on these boards but lives nearby, and Rob is Larky's grandsire.....). Also it looks like Robin Q. (Pippin'sPerson) came back from a tough go yesterday to win the second go round of N/N with Hamish. Way to go ladies!

J.

Woot! Go Bill! And I'd love to see Jet do well - what a neat little dog she is. And of course we've got our popcorn and drinks ready to root for Sam's daddy Tweed - go Christine!! Good luck to everyone else, too.

I didn't talk to Robin last night - but night before she said that as always the field is tough. She said that the sheep being used on the novice field are pretty nice - and I can't remember exactly what was said about the Open field, except for there being a lot of RT's. If I talk to her tonight I'll get a better update (and try to remember what I'm told :rolleyes: ). Dang, I sure do wish I was running Nick there this week.

I can only speak for the novice field, I was there Wed-Fri, never once even saw the Open runs. Drats...maybe next year, we ended up finishing too late and I had to hit the road Friday night to get home (4-H horse show Sat/Sun).

The sheep on the Novice field were Ann Keller's, nicest bunch of sheep I've handled in a few years there. I met John W. with big yellow boots from Wisconsin, he was a good partner, handled sheep well and has a steady, calm work ethic that makes it easy. Those first sheep were delightful, in great physical shape and mentally sound, a lot were graduates of past BGC commercial flocks, from what Ann said. John and I BEGGED to be allowed to NOT use the trailer for P/N and N/N and powers that be let us, and it was outstanding, with the teamwork of John and his leg-work and my shoving sheep out him non-stop. This would not have worked without these great sheep. From what I could see, the sheep handled themselves fine if they weren't run or hassled (duh...sorry, that's all I can say with any real handler credentials).

Friday brought the graduates from the Open field, and these were also nice and healthy, mentally and physically, I always love working with these babies. They weren't dog savvy, but responded great to the handling system and set out, and most of the runs I saw went fine with good handling. Wish I could have seen them on the Open field, they were some nice sheep. I hope some of them end up staying behind with some local folks. All in all, I thought the three days I saw went well, wish it had rained less, but that's a given. It was nice to work with John W., he gets it done well and consistently. I can honestly say too, that I think I'm over the creep-out feeling I have with that field (time does heal all wounds), so I hope to get asked back if they need help up there in the future.

Here's the top 20 running in the double lift today, along with the individual awards that have already been given:

Sunday May 17

1 Washer, Bob Clare

2 Worthington, Joan Sam

3 Whittington, Don Fionn

4 Williams, Cheryl Spot

5 Boyce, Dawn Tink

6 MacRae, Alasdair Nap

7 Molloy, Sally Bett

8 Harvey, Janet Scott

9 Glen, Jenny Lad

10 Brannen, Connie Trip

11 Molloy, Sally Paige

12 Penatzer, Dee Rob

13 Schragel, Mike Tek

14 Westbrook, Gary Tate

15 Murray, Dave Moe

16 Henry, Christine Tweed

17 Luedecke, Emil Spot

18 MacRae, Alasdair Star

19 MacRae, Tricia Cap

20 VanDerMerwe, Jeanine Jade

SPECIAL AWARDS, BLUEGRASS 2009

Best Gather – Jeanine VanDerMerwe & Jade

Best Drive – Alasdair MacRae & Nap

Best Pen – Don Whittington & Fionn

Best Shed – Bob Washer & Clare

Most Promising Dog – Lyle Lad’s Sid

Most Promising Handler – Sharon Woolman

Amateur Nursery Award (presented by Alasdair & Tricia MacRae, to highest scoring Nursery dog by a handler who has not won an Open trial) – Shelby Cook & Ben

Linda Wright Service Award – Becky Randolph

Top End Award (given by set-out workers Linda Maier & Rusty Kreider) – Janet Harvey & Scott

Long Road Award (presented by Vergil & Annemarie Holland, to highest scoring Open dog trained only by its present handler): (to be awarded after Finals)

Best KY-Bred Dog: (to be awarded after Finals)

J.