BC Boards

Glueing ears

I have heard reference to the glueing dogs ears several times on various posts. I did a search and it appears that people have differing opinions on the matter. I just want to understand. Could someone explain the actual process to me?

I'm not interested in starting another discussion as to whether it is right or wrong, I've just never heard of it and am wondering how the operation (is it done by a vet, at home? )works.

Cheers

It's a homedone thing from what I know. I've seen people take real glue and glue the tips over so they would have "proper" ears.

I've also seen someone use chewing gum, ABC, they stick in on the tip and it weights it so it will again tip over properly.

My fav. ear set is prick so no glue for me :rolleyes: But I did think about glueing my kids ears when he was younger. I didn't, and his look pretty good now!

When some of us are talking about gluing, taping, stringing ears, we are just poking fun at those in the KC world that take such things seriously...

I don't believe there's anyone here who is serious about their dogs who would advocate shaping a Border Collie's ears.

The people who do it use skin glue (the same type surgeons and ERs use). Although, I have heard of cases where vets sutured the ears in place :rolleyes: I don't support cosmetic alterations for dogs that cause any pain or discomfort. I happen to like flyaway ears on Dobies and tails on Cockers and Aussies.

I agree I would never do that to any dog. A BC without that long ropey tail to chew on or floppy ears with one slip showing (inside out ear) half the time would be something impossible to live without.

My mom grew up in a breeding AKC Rough Collie world (Floravale, Dahl)..they used a lead paste rubbed onto the tip of the puppy ear to ensure a proper AKC regulation fold. There was a similar thread weeks back about this. I thought at the time, that if you have a superior bloodline, viable genetics and temperment...was it so wrong to fake an ear tip the please a judge, when your dog actually is the best quality...but not the picture of their ACK need? This seems to my memory to be the justification my grandpa had, that his dogs were the best and others bred on problems, I remember colllie headed eyesight and hip dysplasia being mom's peeves even back in the 70s. So trying to improve the breed while conforming to standard....