BC Boards

Length of Exercise

By the way:-

I would just like to point out that i'm not saying that those with disabilities shouldn't own a Border Collie, not at all.

You are able to provide equal amounts of excercise to keep the dog happy with games like fetch, and if your dog is anything like mine, then he will also enjoy a run around the field on his own or with other dogs.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I partially agree with this statement. I try to read the dog and let him/her tell me how much is enough. But that is not to say if my dog, after running very hard for a while and is panting fast and hard, and still wants to play more ball, that I let him. I think it's a balance between dog and owner as to "who is the best judge of how much exercise."

Though, what I wrote above does NOT apply to young pups. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more, of course you need to take a view on whether its too much or not, but at the moment i have had no reason to question the amount of excercise Sam is 'enjoying'.

the person i got Sam from wasn't a 'breeder' he was a 'farmer'

Just wanted to point out ... that if someone breeds a litter of puppies, they are, in fact, a breeder, no matter which way you slice it. They may also be a farmer, but they are a breeder.

Firstly, the person i got Sam from wasn't a 'breeder' he was a 'farmer' and as such his dogs were left in the yard when not working.

If he bred Sam's parents, he is Sam's breeder. Breeders come in all sorts and sizes.

So from the above you can see that the farmer wasn't aware what was happening behind him.

Thanks for clearing that up. Did he have any response to his dog's behavior?

'Despite what some may claim, data from numerous scientific studies provide overwhelming evidence that HD is an inherited disease.'

I don't recall mentioning HD. I was aware of the genetic component of the disease, but thanks.

If he bred Sam's parents, he is Sam's breeder. Breeders come in all sorts and sizes.

And what if 'he' didn't breed them, and he had no involvement and they just naturally became involved? Does that still make him a breeder?

Thanks for clearing that up. Did he have any response to his dog's behavior?

Well no because as i said he was in front and this was happening 50 yards or so behind him.....

I don't recall mentioning HD. I was aware of the genetic component of the disease, but thanks.

You are wellcome, glad i've been of assistance.

As I'm lucky enough to live surrounded by spectacular countryside, mine get half hour to an hour daily during the week and, in the spring and summer at least one long walk at the weekend. By long I mean five hours plus - because that is what I enjoy doing. If for whatever reason they cna't get a long walk, we play fetch instead. I have to watch Rhiw though as intense games of fetch make him very hot very quickly. I have noticed that when this regime has broken down - (illness for example) the dogs do adpat themselves accordingly. Conversely I think the more exercise they have, the more they will take.

Just wanted to say "Hi" - didn't see you for a while and wondered where you'd gone!

As for exercise, with us there's no routine, and therefore, no specific expectations.

Sometimes they get to play ball, sometimes play in the water, and sometimes just sniff and walk (of course if I walk, it doesn't mean that they can't run their legs off, but as they're never both in a playful mood at the same time, this is difficult :rolleyes:).

And what if 'he' didn't breed them, and he had no involvement and they just naturally became involved? Does that still make him a breeder?

If the dogs were his and under his care, yes. Do you see breeder as a negative label? Would accidental breeder seem more appropriate for this farmer? If he's had more than one accidental litter, I'd still say he's a breeder of sorts, wouldn't you?

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, one accident could be seen as a misfortune but two looks like pure carelessness. :rolleyes:

If the dogs were his and under his care, yes. Do you see breeder as a negative label? Would accidental breeder seem more appropriate for this farmer? If he's had more than one accidental litter, I'd still say he's a breeder of sorts, wouldn't you?

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, one accident could be seen as a misfortune but two looks like pure carelessness. :D

No i wouldn't say 'he's a breeder of sorts' in any shape or form, you are trying your upmost to turn this around to your advantage as you quite obviously cannot handle failure/being wrong :D

Everybody is wrong sometimes, you just have to put your hands up and admit it, its quite simple really, after 3 now, 1, 2, 3........ - there you go simple isn't it?

Accidents? Do you refer to Mother Nature/Natural Selection as accidents? If so then we are all accidents surely? :rolleyes:

Looks like we are all products of carelessness.........

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, one accident could be seen as a misfortune but two looks like pure carelessness. :D

And by the way, unless i have misunderstood the last paragraph of your post, it is in breech of the rules of registration i.e., 'defamatory', or do the rules not apply to you? :rolleyes:

The amount of time that the Moderator must spend cleaning up threads due to 'certain individuals' posting defamatory comments with the intention to cause hatred and an abusive response is incredible.......

Border Collie Sam, if you own or have care of a dog and it becomes pregnant (female) or causes a pregancy (male), then you are the "breeder".

What kind of breeder you are then depends on your morals and ethics. You can let the dogs run about like mad - get run over by cars and the pups handed like sausage to the first blustering chap with a cheque OR you can take care of your dogs and make sure they are safe, and the pups get to homes where they are at least well mannered loved pets if not working dogs.

You don't get to not be the "breeder" just bacause your were too ignorant or careless to prevent the dogs in your care from mating.

To anthropomorphize (poorly I'm sure) you are still a "father" even if you are a poor parent or give the child up for adoption.

Now why are we still talking about this? Get that pup out and run his legs off! He's got good sense, after all he's a pup! We all know that the young have good sense and in their natural state would be following a pack on a bicycle! And while you're at it leave all the sweets out on the counter for your kids, the matches for your toddler, and the car keys for you pre-teen. They will be *fine*...trust me. Good judgement is never taught, it's born in. Ask Darwin! Hey, ask that vet of yours!

Border Collie Sam, if you own or have care of a dog and it becomes pregnant (female) or causes a pregancy (male), then you are the "breeder".

What kind of breeder you are then depends on your morals and ethics. You can let the dogs run about like mad - get run over by cars and the pups handed like sausage to the first blustering chap with a cheque OR you can take care of your dogs and make sure they are safe, and the pups get to homes where they are at least well mannered loved pets if not working dogs.

You don't get to not be the "breeder" just bacause your were too ignorant or careless to prevent the dogs in your care from mating.

To anthropomorphize (poorly I'm sure) you are still a "father" even if you are a poor parent or give the child up for adoption.

Now why are we still talking about this? Get that pup out and run his legs off! He's got good sense, after all he's a pup! We all know that the young have good sense and in their natural state would be following a pack on a bicycle! And while you're at it leave all the sweets out on the counter for your kids, the matches for your toddler, and the car keys for you pre-teen. They will be *fine*...trust me. Good judgement is never taught, it's born in. Ask Darwin! Hey, ask that vet of yours!

You sure are skilled in the ancient art of Sarcasm :rolleyes:

Funnily, i've just received an email from the farmer asking how Sam is, he said he's done a video of his mum and dad working but he can't seem to send it to me, i think he's trying to email it, i don't think he's that computer literate, he's a farmer afterall not an IT Technician.......

He's also sent through some photos, but i won't post here as don't want to change the original topic of the thread!

No i wouldn't say 'he's a breeder of sorts' in any shape or form, you are trying your upmost to turn this around to your advantage as you quite obviously cannot handle failure .. being wrong

Everybody is wrong sometimes, you just have to put your hands up and admit it, its quite simple really, after 3 now, 1, 2, 3........ - there you go simple isn't it?

Accidents? Do you refer to Mother Nature/Natural Selection as accidents? If so then we are all accidents surely?

Looks like we are all products of carelessness.........

C'mon Lenajo. You can't argue with this logic. Whatsdamattawichyou?

And by the way, unless i have misunderstood the last paragraph of your post, it is in breech of the rules of registration i.e., 'defamatory', or do the rules not apply to you? :rolleyes:

The amount of time that the Moderator must spend cleaning up threads due to 'certain individuals' posting defamatory comments with the intention to cause hatred and an abusive response is incredible.......

Pardon? The playful paraphrase of Oscar Wilde's great line in The Importance of Being Earnest is accomplishing all that? :D