BC Boards

My 9 week old puppy has finally learnt to fetch!

Hi, was getting a little worried that my puppy wouldn't like to play games of fetch.

I purchased Sam a squeeky ball and chewable plastic bone at the same time as his bed around 3 weeks ago but the only thing he will use is his bed!

He has never shown any interest in the ball, and has only chewed on the bone once or twice.

However, he has learnt Sit, Down, Paw, Stay in both sit and down for the count of 10, No, Nicely, Come.

However, i have just been playing with him on the floor and had some socks that were needing pairing up on the floor and paired a pair up into like a ball shape and he was trying to get it out of my hand, so i threw it accross the room and said fetch, he ran accross the room after it, and then i called him back and he came running back to me with the socks in his mouth, i told him down, then i squeezed his jaws apart to get the socks out and repeated the same thing again.

I made a big fuss of him each time he returned with the socks, and then he started dropping the socks when he came back and downed and i gave him treats and now he seems to do it really easily and you can tell he really really enjoys it!

Isn't it funny how he doesn't like a ball, but will play with the socks......

Sometimes you just have to improvise :rolleyes:

Cool! My 7 week old pup is starting to fetch too, I got her some little balls that are like tennis balls but only about 2/3 the size. I roll them across the floor and she chases after them and then brings them back to me and is learning what "drop it" means, but after 7 or 8 times she loses interest and moves on to something else. My last dog had absolutely no interest in fetching no matter how much I worked with her...

I roll them across the floor and she chases after them and then brings them back to me and is learning what "drop it" means, but after 7 or 8 times she loses interest and moves on to something else.

That is great, mattinky! Quinn's attention span wasn't anywhere near that long at such a young age. Sometimes as a 10 week old, his games of fetch consisted of 1 repetition. :rolleyes: My goal when training is to always end with the dog wanting more. Quinn quickly became a retrieving maniac and fetch is his second favorite thing in the world (after sheep). The other thing I made a point of doing was if I saw him prefer one toy over another, I'd put the preferred toy away for a few days or so. After a Sheltie who will only fetch small, furry, squeaky, not too heavy toys, I decided I wanted a dog who would be thrilled to play with any toy. And that describes Quinn quite well.

Have fun with your baby.

Speedy learned to fetch around the ripe old age or 6 months and Dean was over 10 months old when he learned. His former owners didn't teach him.

I used socks to teach Speedy, also. I put the ball in the sock and threw that. After he learned to fetch the ball in the sock (which could also double as a tug trainer if you want your dog to tug), he soon figured out that it was the ball he wanted, not the sock!

BCS,

I hope you don't mind me asking, I am really curious about your pup and how he spends his time. You have mentioned that your fellow doesn't go out on walks or play with other dogs because he hasn't had all his shots yet, that he doesn't chew his bone, has only just started to fetch.

I have a BC pup very close in age and well, it's just so radically different.

Respectfully,

Flyer

You have mentioned that your fellow doesn't go out on walks or play with other dogs because he hasn't had all his shots yet, that he doesn't chew his bone, has only just started to fetch.

I have a friend whose puppy was a complete angel compared to Quinn who was the Devil for the first 6 months of his life. My friend's puppy is now a young adult and showing none of the Irish Setter moments Quinn was prone to at that age -- where he sometimes acted as if he barely knew me much less any of the commands I had taught him months earlier. I think there can be big differences from pup to pup. Some are sweet and sensible. Others are, well, the Devil. :rolleyes:

No, no I would never call Colt a devil. He is actually a very easy pup in his personality. Comes enthusiastically when he is called, understands leave it very well, was house trained within, well he has only gone in the house three or four times since he arrived at seven weeks.

What is so radically different is that I walk him at least three to four times a day, one of those a four K off leash along a river trail where he meets many other dogs and has social times with them and will still follow me when I say "this way". (That just amazes me) He goes out to pee at least every two hours. He comes with me everywhere I go. Chews bones, bully sticks, tug toys and a couple of stuffed dog toys on a regular basis. He is always doing something.

And with all of this stimulation Colt can still have a wild time or two still where he ramps up. (I take him out or contain him in a pen I have in the house for when I have to work.) If I wasn't doing all of this with him I do think he would be a very ansty fellow, which he was for the first five days or so. Absolutely feral.

People constantly tell me what a sensible calm pup he is and he is, but I wonder if this is because of all that we do, so I had to wonder about BCS's pup and what he is like. Is he just a relaxed little fellow who doesn't need to do much?

I suppose I am wondering If I have created expectations in Colt that life is a very active adventure and we need to be doing, doing, doing.

Flyer

BCS,

I hope you don't mind me asking, I am really curious about your pup and how he spends his time. You have mentioned that your fellow doesn't go out on walks or play with other dogs because he hasn't had all his shots yet, that he doesn't chew his bone, has only just started to fetch.

Respectfully,

Flyer

My vet has warned me not to take Sam out to public places until he has had all of his injections, 1 week after in fact, as they had an outbreak of Parvo only a few months ago and one woman brought 3 of her dogs in with it! She was VERY lucky as ALL survived!

However, i take him out with me whenever i go out in the car, and he has a lot of visitors around the house.

Sam has started to fetch as i've just said, however he doesn't like playing with his rubber bone that i bought him, its a squeegy type of plastic thing.

However, he is a very bright and sharp/intelligent pup, excelling in every other aspect, he is so energetic, he sits, downs, and stays in each position until called, and also gives paw, recalls immediately, and also loves a game of tugger war! He does all of these things with only one command, which i think is bloody good for a pup of 9 weeks!

For a 9 week old pup i would say he's doing rather well, would you not?

People constantly tell me what a sensible calm pup he is and he is, but I wonder if this is because of all that we do, so I had to wonder about BCS's pup and what he is like. Is he just a relaxed little fellow who doesn't need to do much?

Flyer

On the contrary, Sam is very energetic and wanting to go, however i am not prepared to risk my pups life by taking him out before he has had all of his injections.

Things might be a little different in the US, but i've been advised strongly against walking him in a public place before then....

On the contrary, Sam is very energetic and wanting to go, however i am not prepared to risk my pups life by taking him out before he has had all of his injections.

Things might be a little different in the US, but i've been advised strongly against walking him in a public place before then....

Oh, good for you. Sounds dangerous over there with the parvo.

I live in Canada and my vet cautioned me as they all must, but also agreed that she had never run into problems. We also talked about the fact that the first three months are the optimum time for socializing and so I chose to socialize my somewhat shy boy. Didn't take him to any kennels or dog parks, mind you. His dad is a shy dog, though kind and Colt was somewhat timid too, so I handed him off to everyone who cooed over him, big men, old ladies, savvy children, took him downtown where my son's Capoeira class is and where he will have to go three times a week ( I live outside a big city/big noises/big energy), introduced him to horses, cats and other dogs at the barn where I ride, had him in other people's houses, the kid's school. All the places where he will be living his life.

I would not characterize Colt as timid any longer. He will never be the life of any party, but he's a congenial little fellow and really enjoys a good conversation. :rolleyes:

Flyer

Wow that is early

Ben was about 6 or 7 months old - and even now if there is a collie to go and fetch the ball for him he just waits for them to bring it back and then steals the ball from the dog to take it back the last few feet and get the treat (and they say the BC is smart??) Mia is just learning as well

Cant see either of them being manic fetching machined tho

With either of them you chuck ball

dog brings ball back

Chuck ball

Dog brings ball back

Chuck ball, dog wonders off to pee, dosent see ball, human brings ball back

Chuck ball

Dog goes to get ball, sees something better

Dog brings plastic bottle/dead rat/ lump of frozen poo back

- oh its a fun game!!