BC Boards

What Color Is My Border Collie

Looks like a red and white dog with heavy ticking to me. The panda spots around his eyes are interesting, but given the rest of his coloring I suspect the variegation is due to fading from the sun. What was his situation before you got him? He's a handsome boy.

He looks red and white to me but that mask on the eyes is very different. He looks a bit like a burglar and he even has a tool kit. Cooper is a nice looking dog.

Even solid red can have a ton of variation in it and it's highly sensitive to the sun. Julie's Kat looks very similar to Cooper. I'm sure she'll chime in here. But here's a couple of terrible pics I happen to have:

2rps9yd.jpg

kd8mcl.jpg

You say you just got him. He may just need more time to feel comfortable in his new surroundings. I adopted my dog at 2 years old and it was several months before he really started to come out of his shell--I didn't do anything special to encourage it, just let him open up at his own pace.

If he is fairly new to you I would suggest letting him come out of his shell by himself. He will do it as he develops a trust level with you. Let him be close to you. I got my best dog was he was two. He was very shy and reserved. He did not associate with us much at all. I just left him alone but encouraged him to join in everything that we did. I took him with me everywhere and we worked every day. I quickly noticed a few things about him that helped me. He did not like load voices or people carrying anything that resembled a stick. I noted a few other things and I made sure that the things that made him nervous were removed from his life. It took him about six months but he came around and is now an outstanding dog. I also have one of his sons and he appears to have some shyness as well so we give him lots of room to develop and he is going to be a great dog. Have fun with him.

I was in touch with his original owner. He came from a horrible "color breeder" who had no less than 40 intact differently colored border collies all running loose together:( They advertise lots of their dogs as being "lilacs"

I believe he missed out on a lot of early socialization, just living with a pack of dogs and not in a home. I believe he was 4 or 5 months old before they got him out of there.

The dogs I've seen from this situation are all sweet tempered deep down but do have shyness issues. I've found them to be "soft" dogs and my first recommendation would be for reward based training only, steer clear of "dominance" methods, and be careful with invisible fence systems. He was contained with real electric fence in his original environment. Several wires.

He is probably typical border collie energy so something to keep him physically busy and mind engaged like agility or frisbee would be great! I'd let him come to terms with "new people" on his own, wait for him to make the first move, have "strangers" armed with treats, don't expect him to come to their hands, just let them fall from their hands where he "finds" delicious treats near the strangers.

He just arrived so go slowly with him. He'll need a minimum of two weeks, maybe even up to 2 months before he is completely settled in and you are seeing the "real" dog.

Crate training helps a lot with the shy/fearful dogs, let his crate be his place of respite away from the rest of the household, make it a pleasant place for him to just "be" without being bothered or worrying about anything.

Good luck with him, I feel like I "know" him even though I've never met him in person. Please keep in touch and good luck with him. I think you will find him to be a great dog once he comes around!

One other thing that I have found from the other dogs of these breedings I've met through my rescue work - they are very much full of (and I know the board doesn't agree with this wording but I don't know what else to call it) "herding" behaviors with other dogs. They circle and circle and circle and are not afraid to go in for a nip. It's probably "in there" and you may begin to see that with other dogs down the road so watch for it and try to get him to engage with toys and not "other dogs" (or running children!) from the start!

Kathy

Looks like a red and white dog with heavy ticking to me. The panda spots around his eyes are interesting, but given the rest of his coloring I suspect the variegation is due to fading from the sun. What was his situation before you got him? He's a handsome boy.

So he's probably solid red tri and carries the dilute gene. Dogs that are dillute carriers do have coats that are very sun sensitive - especially the lighter pigments like red and gold (not the tri color, but the color that a solid yellow dog would have).