BC Boards

Is anyone a Veterinary Technologist?

I am applying to the only college in my state that has a degree for this. They only take 30 students a year. It is a rigorous road to make the top 40 applicants, which are the only ones invited to the oral interview from which they select the 30. I will also be taking about a 50% pay cut. However, I think I really want to do this. I love animals. I love the medical field. I love helping people and animals, and I have been doing what I do for over 20 years and I am pretty burnt on it. I already have a degree so I would only have to take the VETT classes and labs and my school is paid for.

So, I was wondering if there are any of you out there that could give me some input. Is it worth my busting my buns to get in (we are talking lots of intense chemistry and biology classes in a short amount of time. lol). Is it worth the giant pay cut? That is really the least of my concerns. I am more interested in the job satisfaction and loving what I do. Do you love it? Hate it? Is it stimulating enough? Do you actually assist the Vet in procedures? Whatever you can tell me I would love to hear and appreciate the insight.

thanks,

Tammy

I am applying to the only college in my state that has a degree for this. They only take 30 students a year. It is a rigorous road to make the top 40 applicants, which are the only ones invited to the oral interview from which they select the 30. I will also be taking about a 50% pay cut. However, I think I really want to do this. I love animals. I love the medical field. I love helping people and animals, and I have been doing what I do for over 20 years and I am pretty burnt on it. I already have a degree so I would only have to take the VETT classes and labs and my school is paid for.

So, I was wondering if there are any of you out there that could give me some input. Is it worth my busting my buns to get in (we are talking lots of intense chemistry and biology classes in a short amount of time. lol). Is it worth the giant pay cut? That is really the least of my concerns. I am more interested in the job satisfaction and loving what I do. Do you love it? Hate it? Is it stimulating enough? Do you actually assist the Vet in procedures? Whatever you can tell me I would love to hear and appreciate the insight.

thanks,

Tammy

Hi,

Do you mean Veterinary Technician? I am not a tech, but I have been a practice manager for more than 12 years now. Licensed technicians are very useful for a practice to have IF they have the necessary skills. In my area, those skills (having practical vet assistant experience before school) will get you short tracked into our community college program. Yet I would say the last 3 techs we've hired have been horribly lacking in those skills. If you want to be an indispensible asset to the vet hospital, the main skills you should have are drawing blood, placing catheters and dealing well with people. Those three skills alone are the hardest for us to find in the same person.

The money is not great- especially now with the economy as bad as it is. Our hospital can't afford a licensed tech right now, but we are lucky enough to have three very competent techs in training (two of which have been better than any licensed person we've had). When the economy was good a few years ago, a licensed tech could make $13-20 or so an hour. Emergency/specialty work pays the best in our area. I think it is rewarding to some people, but I've noticed it has the most burnout compared to other positions in the hospital. The best technician we ever had, she worked for us for 7 years but got burnt out and went to urban animal control officer instead LOL. Not sure what that says about it :rolleyes:.

If you have never worked for a vet, I would go that route first or during your pre-reqs. Be prepared to start by scooping poop- believe me if you keep the kennel spotless and are on hand to help, you will be brought in to learn more. But I cannot stress enough that practical experience along with schooling is the way to go .

Hi,

Do you mean Veterinary Technician? I am not a tech, but I have been a practice manager for more than 12 years now. Licensed technicians are very useful for a practice to have IF they have the necessary skills. In my area, those skills (having practical vet assistant experience before school) will get you short tracked into our community college program. Yet I would say the last 3 techs we've hired have been horribly lacking in those skills. If you want to be an indispensible asset to the vet hospital, the main skills you should have are drawing blood, placing catheters and dealing well with people. Those three skills alone are the hardest for us to find in the same person.

The money is not great- especially now with the economy as bad as it is. Our hospital can't afford a licensed tech right now, but we are lucky enough to have three very competent techs in training (two of which have been better than any licensed person we've had). When the economy was good a few years ago, a licensed tech could make $13-20 or so an hour. Emergency/specialty work pays the best in our area. I think it is rewarding to some people, but I've noticed it has the most burnout compared to other positions in the hospital. The best technician we ever had, she worked for us for 7 years but got burnt out and went to urban animal control officer instead LOL. Not sure what that says about it :rolleyes:.

If you have never worked for a vet, I would go that route first or during your pre-reqs. Be prepared to start by scooping poop- believe me if you keep the kennel spotless and are on hand to help, you will be brought in to learn more. But I cannot stress enough that practical experience along with schooling is the way to go .

Thanks for replying and for the advise. I appreciate it!

I have never worked for a Vet, but I worked for a doctor in an out patient surgery center for a few years and I worked as a phlebotomist while I put myself through college the first time. So, I can draw blood from humans. I am sure it is much more difficult to draw from an animal. Part of the acceptance program is to spend a certain amount of hours shadowing a Vet and then writing one, of three, essay's about it. My Vet, that I have had for years, has agreed to let me do that at his practice. I would not be able to work for a Vet and go to school as the school is a 2 year day time program. I might be able to work for the emergency care hospital at night though. Thanks for telling me about the techs in training that work for you, I am going to check it out. In fact, that is what I was hoping to do. I don't mind scooping poop and cleaning kennels but it will definatly be a huge change. I am a software developer for a University right now. Going from my nice cushy office to scooping poop will be at the least, humbling. LOL.

Thanks again for the advice!

Tammy

I considered the veterinary field (tech or DVM) and did a ton of shadowing in the process. I gotta say shadowing was the BEST thing I could've done because it let me get a handle on what the job entails and in the end, though I loved the idea, I felt that I would be better suited for some other animal related job. I work in behavior at a shelter and LOVE it and I really can't see doing something else right now. Tech work can be great, but it can also be a lot of hard physical labor, tough days, dealing with people all day every day, and handling animals that aren't happy to be with you, plus all sorts of bodily fluids.

I have worked as a vet tech for 6 years now. In this field you don't make a lot of money but it is worth putting in the long hours, and hard work. I always tell people that you don't get to play with puppies and kittens all day, you get yourself into some gross stuff. Yes, you get to assist the veterinarians in suregery, with appts. Pretty much their whole day. I love my job and wouldn't change it for the world. Sometimes you get tired of the clients, but seeing their pets get better is worth it. You can also specialize in certain areas too, like denistry, suregery, emergency medicine, etc. I personally like emergency medicine. The adreneline is awesome. Hope all goes well for you.

Thank you all so much for the replies. Very encouraging! I will let you know if I change my mind after following the Vet. MaggieDog, it's nice to know there are other options. I don't really have to change career's, but I want to work with animals. I am in my youngish 40's and figure if I am ever going to do it I better start acting. I am very excited about it.

thanks again,

Tammy

I'm a vet tech as well, and I started about 2.5 years ago. I love it. Its awesome that I get to work with animals on a daily basis, and the best part is there is always something new, there is no boring ol' routine to get sucked into. You do have to have a pretty strong stomach, though. You also have to face the likelihood of getting bitten/scratched a lot...LoL, I read once that one of the signs you've been a vet tech for too long is you can play connect the dots on your arms from all the war wounds. I have a handful of those myself.

I love it, though, so much in fact I'm looking into getting registered, or possibly going to vet school. I want to work with exotics.

I worked as a vet tech for 6 years before going to vet school. I loved the job but the pay was terrible. Most techs burn out in the first year. It is a combination (I think) of low pay, long hours, hard work and realizing that they love their own pets but not all animals well enough to put up with being bit, peed on, covered in fur, etc. Do shadow a vet for as long as possible before deciding to commit to school. In fact, shadow multiple vets at many different hospitals if at all possible. Some places don't utilize techs much at all to assist them in procedures while others give them a lot of responsibility, including being in charge of anesthesia, taking histories, doing "tech appointments" (like being a NP). For me the decision to go on to vet school was easy because I loved the medicine and science as much as helping the animals.

I'd love to be a vet tech. I actually love all the down and dirty stuff and the grossest stuff is the most fascinating to me. I don't have any fear or anger at bites, scratches, wild behavior - it's all why I did rescue for 15 years!

I looked into it and one of the local vets is interested in hiring me (as a kennel worker, obviously, not a tech) - but hubby is working two jobs and the kids are home schooling. If it weren't for the second job Patrick's doing I could work it in, but it's impossible now.

Ironically, nursing would work much better for me and I'm looking into it seriously - unfortunately there aren't any vets around here that offer night hours and of course the hospitals need night staff all the time.

Someday when the kids are older, maybe, I'll be able to get into the animal side of things.

I enjoyed my 3 years as a tech. When I got too shaky to hit a vein, it was time to quit. Also, the pain of taking a dog down for his last walk- "dead dog walking" was a little more than I could handle. :rolleyes: Humane Society- They do what they can, but there are too many dogs. Please spay and neuter your dogs. I did mine and he is a great dog, but if they want to go to find a dog...........I will lead him to his breeder- not me.

As a job as a vet tech- it doesn't pay very well. I got 13.00 an hour and that was good. I loved my job, can noy fo iy again. Yet I try.... Oh how I try.

Thanks again for the input. Your experience's and knowledge of the job is giving me a lot to think about. I appreciate it very much. The one common thing I am reading is that you all love it. That is the main thing I wanted to know.

I did think about having to put an animal down. That would be extremely hard for me and the very worst part of the job.

I am going to take your advice and try to set up some times to follow other vets on Saturdays. I guess that will really be the final decider.

Rebecca, just wanted to mention that I am a computer programmer at a Medical University and I work on a huge project for the ANA. Nursing is a great career to get into right now and the pay has gone up greatly. The nurses where I work are saying you can pretty much write your own paycheck and I have a friend who is a nurse and when she gets called in on her day off, they give her 200.00 just to walk through the door.

Liz, I did not realize you were a Vet. That's awesome! I have thought about doing that too, but I only have enough money saved to quit work and go to school for 2 years.

Also, everything I have been reading says that the demand for Vet techs is going to start exceeding the supply. Hopefully, if it's true, that will bring an increase in the pay. Those of you who are doing it certainly deserve more than 13.00 an hour.

Thanks again, and, you all have beautiful dogs!

Tammy

Tammy,

I graduated from tech school in 91. I first had a BS in Biology so I only went to school for a tech for one year. I thought all the classes were super easy, esp after the Biology degree with Physics and Chemistry ect. I really think the secret is finding a super vet to work for. You have to look for one that not only uses the techs, willing to teach and train them but also thinks highly of them and will listen to their thoughts and input, one who will allow and encourage you to pursue your interests. I was super lucky and worked in a great progressive clinic for 8 yrs. I then moved moved west and to the country. They really used techs to hold the animals and clean. I was very unhappy working there and moved on quickly. School will only teach you the basics, the clinic you work in and the vets and other techs you work with after school is where you are able to develop your skills.

I did not find I could support myself on a tech income. The hours are tough depending on the clinic. We carried pagers and did holiday and weekend treatments. Yes the rewards can be amazing and I learned a bunch and use those skills today. I recently began my own dog/cat grooming business making twice as much with setting my own schedule.

I would also say hang out at a few clinics and see if you enjoy it.

hope that helps,

Denice