BC Boards

Meet Colt!!

post-9569-1232056694_thumb.jpg

post-9569-1232056598_thumb.jpg

I just adore this little fellow and BC's are definitely different. He surprises me constantly. We've had him four days now and only three accidents in the house. Today he is going to the door himself. Sits there and looks at me. Of course I'm watching him like a hawk so that works for both of us.

He definitely has what I call his "wild" times. Amusing and exhausting and thankfully he settles really well. I think we'll have a pretty solid on/off switch.

Crate training is going really well. I've taken it slow. Putting him in with a treat or two with the door open a few times a day for the first couple of days. Then placing him there when he falls asleep on my lap keeping the door open and the crate beside me or in close proximity. He lifts his head looks at me then goes back to sleep in there. Yesterday I pointed him in and this time closed the door while I did the dishes and he whined for about a minute then settled with a nylabone. I opened the door when I was done. Today he has gone in on his own to take toys inside.

I have to tell you all about throwing the ball for the first time. Spooky. I bought a couple of those puppy balls and I got down on the floor with him, showed him the ball, let him bat it around and chew for a few minutes. Then I picked it up. He stared at it, then looked to me, then back to the ball. I rolled the ball across the floor and he just watched it go, very relaxed, then he looked at me. I said Go and pointed to the ball and he took off like a shot. I thought hah, fluke, so I tried it again. He did the same thing, waited til I said Go. Six or seven more times. So next day I thought OK I'm going to use this. So I started saying wait while he was waiting, same way I say pee when he is peeing. Later I put his dinner down and said Wait and he just stood there looking at me, then the bowl then me and I said OK and he started to eat. This amazes me. He is only 8 weeks old.

Now I trained my last dog to wait on me for things, but only as a safety feature and when we played I didn't make her wait. She was very much a waggy/chasey/excitable gal, but I could call her instantly and easily off a squirrel. With this little guy I feel like I just need to shape behavior that is already there. Give it a name and transfer it to other situations. Like the wait and the go pee. Both which he understand perfectly. Thank God, Leave it, seems to be making sense today.

Oh I could go on and on about all the cute things he does, but he just woke up and is now trying to type on the keyboard so I guess that'll do for now. :rolleyes: See, I'm starting to speak border collie.

Flyer

Congratulations! He's beautiful! :D

And, never be amazed by anything these guys do! We've had Scooter for four years and he still surprises us with his ability to problem solve and comprehend what we want him to do, or not do :rolleyes: , sometimes without us even saying a word. DH and I just look at each other and laugh. :D

Have fun! Sounds like you already are. :D

He's cute! He looks fine boned. I like his little black back toe! :rolleyes:

His mom was smaller, fine boned and silky coated. Very quick. One of her sisters is doing very well in the field. His dad was a big, solid rough coated fellow. I think Colt will be somewhere between the two, though he is the spitting image of his Dad.

post-9569-1232056694_thumb.jpg

post-9569-1232056598_thumb.jpg

I just adore this little fellow and BC's are definitely different. He surprises me constantly. We've had him four days now and only three accidents in the house. Today he is going to the door himself. Sits there and looks at me. Of course I'm watching him like a hawk so that works for both of us.

He definitely has what I call his "wild" times. Amusing and exhausting and thankfully he settles really well. I think we'll have a pretty solid on/off switch.

Crate training is going really well. I've taken it slow. Putting him in with a treat or two with the door open a few times a day for the first couple of days. Then placing him there when he falls asleep on my lap keeping the door open and the crate beside me or in close proximity. He lifts his head looks at me then goes back to sleep in there. Yesterday I pointed him in and this time closed the door while I did the dishes and he whined for about a minute then settled with a nylabone. I opened the door when I was done. Today he has gone in on his own to take toys inside.

I have to tell you all about throwing the ball for the first time. Spooky. I bought a couple of those puppy balls and I got down on the floor with him, showed him the ball, let him bat it around and chew for a few minutes. Then I picked it up. He stared at it, then looked to me, then back to the ball. I rolled the ball across the floor and he just watched it go, very relaxed, then he looked at me. I said Go and pointed to the ball and he took off like a shot. I thought hah, fluke, so I tried it again. He did the same thing, waited til I said Go. Six or seven more times. So next day I thought OK I'm going to use this. So I started saying wait while he was waiting, same way I say pee when he is peeing. Later I put his dinner down and said Wait and he just stood there looking at me, then the bowl then me and I said OK and he started to eat. This amazes me. He is only 8 weeks old.

Now I trained my last dog to wait on me for things, but only as a safety feature and when we played I didn't make her wait. She was very much a waggy/chasey/excitable gal, but I could call her instantly and easily off a squirrel. With this little guy I feel like I just need to shape behavior that is already there. Give it a name and transfer it to other situations. Like the wait and the go pee. Both which he understand perfectly. Thank God, Leave it, seems to be making sense today.

Oh I could go on and on about all the cute things he does, but he just woke up and is now trying to type on the keyboard so I guess that'll do for now. :rolleyes: See, I'm starting to speak border collie.

Flyer

Hi Flyer, he's a nice doggy, my puppy is nearly 7 weeks, had him for 1 week and as you say they pick up on things really quickly, he can sit all on his own now and stay for the count of 10 seconds.