BC Boards

Are You Supposed to Cut the "Feathers"???

Well, we couldn't get all of the stickers out of Allie's fur despite our best efforts and the help of the Showsheen. So, we took her to a groomer today for the first time.

Because I've almost always done my dog grooming at home, I'm not really saavy as to how the experience was supposed to have gone, but I must say I'm not too thrilled. Most of the stickers are gone, but on one leg the groomer left the "feathers" hanging and on the other side they were completely cut off. (Kind of a funky asymmetrical effect.) One elbow has longer tufts that stick out and the other doesn't.

I wanted to take her back to them in the morning to fix it, but my husband convinced me to just even it up myself. I doubt I'll be going back.

My question: Are you supposed to cut the long "feathers" on the haunches and forelegs? I think the whole effect is very weird.

I keep the feathers trimmed on Happy but not totally cut off! I just trim then shorter and neater(so the feathers stay behind the leg rather then fray all over in random places) cutting totally off would look rather odd...and the groomer only cut the feathering off one leg? thats sounds like an awfully amature groom, even I know better then that and I aint no groomer!

Heheh - not if you want to show Allie in AKC conformation! :rolleyes: Otherwise, you do what you have to do. Have you tried the rotating teeth comb (discussed on another thread) - that's not bad at getting buzzies out - you can use it end on to try to get through a knot in the same way you'd use fingers.

But if all else fails, you can trim the feathers - I would be doing it yourself - can't believe a groomer left one side trimmed and the other long - as you say - funky - but not really attractive.

A friend just neatened up his boy's britches and the nearest to the body part of the tail feathers for the same reason - he did a good job,a nd the hair will grow back.

No "feathers" left, I'm afraid. I evened those feathers on the haunches up with my scissors and Allie is now a major "puffy-butt". :rolleyes:

From now on I will now always do my own cutting, trimming and sticker removal! This groomer specializes in conformation and show dogs so I really expected better. On the plus side, her nails are neatly trimmed and they supposedly expressed the anal glands (although how you check THAT I haven't a clue).

I started cutting Oreo's feathers a couple years ago when they just matted up like crazy. She has aweful kinky fur that's near impossible to brush, and it just wasn't fun for her. So I cut it all half as long as it was (or maybe shorter... she has LONG feathers). We both appreciated it.

I can't believe they trimmed one and not the other. O.O I guess she thought leaving whatever she could was MORE important than it.... looking decent?

Deb, Tiga has had his anal glands expressed. It stinks really bad. When we got home from the vet when he had it done I had to bath him. It smells like a fishy smell. They usually do it on their own, but occasionaly need to have it done for them.

I know "about" the anal glands, but just don't know (or at least prefer not to) how to see if they really did it. She wasn't having any problems in that area that I could tell.

Well, puffy-butt or not, she does look better with the stickers/burrs gone. I'll just chalk this one up to experience and do it myself next time.

the groomer should not be expressing anal glands unless the dog needs it, usually small dogs, not Border Collie size. Also a good groomer would never leave a dog lopsided. She might have to cut back feathering if there are too many mats, but even mats can be removed without taking off the feathers. I personally would never trim off feathers, and most especially not just on one leg unless I talked to the owner first. I never groom a dog in such a way as to be a "surprise" to the owner. Stickers can be removed fairly easily by bathing and drying the dog then brushing them out. They are removed much easier from a clean coat. I have removed tons of stickers on one dog without trimming the feathers off. Anyway, just my opinion.