BC Boards

Really scary moment- beware!!!

I let the dogs out to potty. Usher was wearing his new "martingale collar" we purchased to help from "funny farm" where part of the donation went to a rescue group. I heard yelping. Bliss' foot was entangled in Usher's collar. She was panicked and he was choking. Luckily, the dogs trust me enough to cut the collar away. Say good-bye to one expensive collar. I really liked it too. So, I guess it's like any training collar- only use while training- I learned my lesson tonight.

Please check your collars. This could have been a disaster. Luckily no one was hurt.

We have a great martingale-combo collar from Lupine for Fergie. She wears it when we go on hikes or out to public venues. I decide whether to use it as a regular or martingale according to the circumstances. It's usually attached to her 25-foot retractable leash for hikes. But to our 6-foot woven leash for urban use.

We also have a regular woven collar that we use in the neighborhood. It's attached to her 6-foot leash. Mostly, they are in one of our pockets, and Ferg is walking along on her own. But, if we see strangers - or one of the stranger neighbors - or if there is a lot of delivery traffic as we get afternoons right now - she goes on leash.

Otherwise, she's collarless. I feel safe, even if she bolted from a door (not likely with our homebody), because she's microchipped. Then again, this is the dog that can meet deer on our way down the driveway, look at me, and sit down to watch them.

That's why my martingales are always left attached to our leashes after a walk.

Maggie also wears a quick release collar for carrying ID - Ziva likes to chew on her neck and getting caught would be easy, but I also never want my girls w/o ID. Maggie has the KeepSafe Collar from Premier and a Knot-a-collar from Ruffwear. I like both. I've also heard good things about Tazlab collars as well.

Martingale collars can be adjusted so that they don't choke even when the dangling part where you attach the leash is pulled tight. I've had martingale collars as the main collar and never had a problem with them. Rescue greyhounds come with those collars because they don't easily pull off over the head, and all of my mother's sight hounds wore them continuously without any problems. I'm not trying to minimize what happened to you, but it was likely a freak accident. Dogs have been known to get caught in other dogs' collars even with the flat buckle type....

J.

Martingale collars can be adjusted so that they don't choke even when the dangling part where you attach the leash is pulled tight.

Indeed, that is how they should be adjusted. Senneca's current collar is a martingale from the very same Funny Farm Boutique and we've not seen any problems with it. Nor with her previous collar, which was also a martingale.

I had to cut a martingale collar off one of our old great danes. Not specifically because it was a martingale though, the problem didn't occur because of the chain section. The two danes were wrestling and then I heard panicked yelping. At first I thought one dog was attacking the other for real but I realized they were stuck together. Perdie had slipped her jaw under Pongo's collar and then they somehow turned or twisted and it was twisted around her lower jaw. The more the dogs struggled to get loose the more it choked him and pulled her jaw. I remember we practically had to sit on the two dogs to safely cut the collar off him. After seeing that happen I will never leave a collar of any type on my dogs, I only put them on if they're walking on leash or sledding. Mine spend way too much time rough-housing to risk ever having something like that happen again.