BC Boards

roaming dog

Ok. I have a new BC. He is 3. Great working dog. No problems with commands. His problem is that he roams. Tonight, for example, I took him out for a walk on the farm here, no lead seemed necessary as it was just a short walk to get some energy out and to pee before bed. He took off. Racing towards the neighbors house which is perhaps 300-400 yards up the hill across some pasture. No fences inbetween. He likes to head there to pee and mark his territory as the neighbors have a neutered Wheaten Terrier dog. My dog apparently has taken to peeing on their deck. I think actually up on their new deck. Im not sure.

When he is on the way up towards the neighbors house he absolutely refuses to respond to commands. That'll do, lie down, here, stop, drop, roll, FREEZE GOPHER, nothing. He has to do his thing before he will even contemplate listening.

What the heck can I do? He is a new dog. Ive had him 2 weeks. He takes off to the neighbors house on me often and doesnt listen to me to come back.

How do you correct this behavior? Only walk him on a lead? Put him in a dog run when he isnt working sheep?

Id love to trust him to be out with me when Im working around the farm but I cant yet. Will this come with time?

Obviously being off lead is something he's not ready for, so I'd be walking him on a longline for his recreational walks and really working his recall in a variety of settings, starting in easy areas and then working up to walking near the neighbors house.

if I were your neighbors, I'd be pretty ticked that your dog was running amok marking my deck up.

I have a related problem. My pound dog had two previous families. I'm guessing the first (which moved to Japan and couldn't take him) was pretty good - but they had kids and I think it was a game to chase the loose puppy. The second owner beat him when he came back - the first time he came back to me, he crawled on his belly, then rolled over, closed his eyes and shook like a leaf. The second owner took him to the pound because 1) he's not housebroken, 2) he digs, and 3) he's a runner.

In reality, he was completely housebroken, he digs when bored (hasn't dug a hole in our yard now for 2 years) and...yes, he's a runner! And damn the idiot who taught him to be one!

3 years ago, he would run until he was too thirsty to stay away - typically 12-30 hours, depending on weather. Now, he will not come to me - but if I drive a car out after 30-45 minutes and open the door, he'll hop in. Improvement.

I take him out in the desert to run loose several times a week. He'll run for his 30 min, then return to the car (not me). I never call for him unless I have reason to believe he'll come...to the car door. :rolleyes:

In a fenced in area, he has perfect recall. Comes at a run the very first time. 100%. :D

Open a door, and he'll be out and ignore you. :D

Any ideas? He is more than smart enough to know the difference between a fenced in area of 1/2 acre, and truly being loose. Apart from that, he's competitive for the best dog I've owned. Completely gentle but a great guard dog. Woke me up at 2 AM to let me know a neighbors unoccupied house was on fire, and alerted me to a rattlesnake in the living room at midnight. On the latter, he then stood back with a look that clearly said, "I let you know when something is wrong - YOU deal with it!" Would never bite a human, but will make noise if someone is acting inappropriately. Incredibly patient with puppies and smaller dogs. Willing to play with larger dogs unless they threaten his humans.

Great dog - but a runner!

DSC02385small.jpg

Very simple

Keep him on leash until you can trust him off leash...

Behavior practiced is behavior repeated.

In two weeks you haven"t even bonded yet... This dog has waaaaaay too much freedom and as your neighbour I'd be a tad pissed that you are letting your dog on my property uninvited.

Any ideas? He is more than smart enough to know the difference between a fenced in area of 1/2 acre, and truly being loose. Apart from that, he's competitive for the best dog I've owned. Completely gentle but a great guard dog. Woke me up at 2 AM to let me know a neighbors unoccupied house was on fire, and alerted me to a rattlesnake in the living room at midnight. On the latter, he then stood back with a look that clearly said, "I let you know when something is wrong - YOU deal with it!" Would never bite a human, but will make noise if someone is acting inappropriately. Incredibly patient with puppies and smaller dogs. Willing to play with larger dogs unless they threaten his humans.

My husband's Siberian Husky is the same way. If he somehow gets loose (he is never let off leash on purpose, but accidents happen and he has run off a few times), the only way to get him is with the car. You have to drive by slowly with the door open, call him and he will jump in. Otherwise, he just keeps running. My husband has had him since he was a puppy. He was never abused. He cannot and never will be trusted off leash.

The answer for us is simple - unless he is in a fenced area he is NEVER allowed off leash.

Hello "Greenakeys",

Sorry that you are having problems with your new dog. First, I suggest that you contact the person from whom you purchased the dog to ask for their suggestions about how to correct his habit of running off. I imagine that they would be the best source of information.

You asked about the dog being kenneled when not working sheep, and like so many questions regarding dogs, the answer is "it depends". It depends on whether the dog will be supervised when not working, or running loose around the farm during his time off. Dogs need supervision when not safely confined, and this will also keep him from interacting inappropriately with the sheep when not working. So, he will either need supervision or confinement with not working.

You asked about walking the dog on leash until his running off problem is corrected. Well, to keep your dog safe and at home, the answer is yes.

Since the dog is totally blowing you off by ignoring your commands when he is running away, you need to work on your relationship. You need to establish a leader/follower relationship with him, with you the leader and him the follower. Oh, one other suggestion. If the dog is running off to mark the neighbor's deck, neutering him should help.

Regards to all,

nancy

Hello "Greenakeys",

Sorry that you are having problems with your new dog. First, I suggest that you contact the person from whom you purchased the dog to ask for their suggestions about how to correct his habit of running off. I imagine that they would be the best source of information.

You asked about the dog being kenneled when not working sheep, and like so many questions regarding dogs, the answer is "it depends". It depends on whether the dog will be supervised when not working, or running loose around the farm during his time off. Dogs need supervision when not safely confined, and this will also keep him from interacting inappropriately with the sheep when not working. So, he will either need supervision or confinment with not working.

You asked about walking the dog on leash until his running off problem is corrected. Well, to keep your dog safe and at home, the answer is yes.

Since the dog is totally blowing you off by ignoring your commands when he is running away, you need to work on your relationship. You need to establish a leader/follower relationship with him, with you the leader and him the follower. Oh, one other suggestion. If the dog is running off to mark the neighbor's deck, neutering him should help.

Regards to all,

nancy

Thanks Nancy. He is always supervised. He is just smarter than I am. :rolleyes: He does come back to me, just after he is done peeing. He isnt that hard headed, just independent enough to test me, I think. He will absolutely obey all his other commands with me. I just have to keep after him and keep an eye on him. He wants to turn to head to the neighbors house and if I dont put a stop on him immediately, he takes the inch and goes the mile, so to speak. Im guessing that it will take a while. But any suggestions as to the sorts of exercises I could do with him to get him to be a good follower would be appreciated. I guess I could get some duck tape...

Very simple

Keep him on leash until you can trust him off leash...

Behavior practiced is behavior repeated.

In two weeks you haven"t even bonded yet... This dog has waaaaaay too much freedom and as your neighbour I'd be a tad pissed that you are letting your dog on my property uninvited.

Well, Im not "letting" him on their property uninvited. I dont simply let him out the door and then call him back 10 minutes later. We are out walking together or working on his recall. He is just faster than I am. :rolleyes:

If I never give him the chance to be off of a lead, how would I work on his recall? He isnt a puppy. He is over 3. And very well trained. Just new to me.

Any suggestions in helping the transition to a new owner would be very helpful as I think that is where the problem really lies.

Well, Im not "letting" him on their property uninvited. I dont simply let him out the door and then call him back 10 minutes later. We are out walking together or working on his recall. He is just faster than I am. :rolleyes:

If I never give him the chance to be off of a lead, how would I work on his recall? He isnt a puppy. He is over 3. And very well trained. Just new to me.

Any suggestions in helping the transition to a new owner would be very helpful as I think that is where the problem really lies.

By not being able to stop him from going to your neighbor's porch, you ARE letting him do it, even if it's not a direct order. Stop by any farm store or even walmart and get a 30-40ft long line. This is a great way to teach recall. Make it a fun game, get all excited when he comes to you, have awesome, yummy treats when he comes. Don't wait to praise him until he gets to you. Start the praise as soon as he takes a step in your direction.

I wouldn't let him off the long line for awhile. He can get plenty of exercise with it. Like someone else said, he's not bonded to you yet. It can take 1-3 months depending on the dog. Be patient. He sounds smart and i'm sure he'll get the idea real fast. Good luck :D

Since the dog is totally blowing you off by ignoring your commands when he is running away, you need to work on your relationship. You need to establish a leader/follower relationship with him, with you the leader and him the follower.

I agree with the above statement. Since this is a trained working dog, he knows what these commands mean. He's probably just thinking well...why should I do them for you? That relationship takes time to build. I started out with a long line. Lots of praise and occasional treats when he would comply. I would walk him down when he didn't. This taught him what "come" meant. Practiced alot of the NILIF stuff to build the leader relationship. Was consistent in my expectations, rules, and follow-thru. So now he knows all good things come from me and when he's not working or playing...there's no place like home. This would not have been the case after 2 weeks. This took months. It may not take you that long though since you have an older dog. :rolleyes:

Georgia

When buying an older, trained dog many people will choose to repeat the whole sequence of its training in compressed time "as if" it were untrained. In a way, it is a sort of game. But it is a game w/ a point: it lets you and the dog get to know one another, get used to each other's style.

If you had an untrained dog or pup that had no recall, you would not let it off-lead at night in a big, unfenced field! So wait a bit w/ the new dog. Make sure you are confident in easier situations first. Use a long line. Use treats - they can be a really effective short cut w/ an older dog that understands "here," but doesn't get that this means here to you, the new guy. Do whatever gets him used to you and trusting you. Two weeks is not all that much time for him to have switched over to you yet.

I agree w/ Nancy 100%: talk to the seller. The phone can be a great training aid in this situation.

Have you taken him to your sheep? Once you and he start working, your relationship will get a lot more focused.

Ive been working with him for several days now. No more running off and recall has been 100%. He still does seem to want to head to the neighbors house initially but he immediately comes back now. He also, with a "right here" command will come to my side and with a "walk" command will walk right beside me everywhere I want to take him. He is only off the lead when we arent in the fenced in pasture or when Im not 100% focused on him as we take a long walk. He is doing much better. I can put him down and he stays where I put him. Its not totally perfect yet, but its getting there. I think I must have a pretty darn good dog. He is doing very well the last 3 days. Im going to keep working at this for a while. I hope in a couple of months the relationship will only get better.

Ive been working with him for several days now. No more running off and recall has been 100%. He still does seem to want to head to the neighbors house initially but he immediately comes back now. He also, with a "right here" command will come to my side and with a "walk" command will walk right beside me everywhere I want to take him. He is only off the lead when we arent in the fenced in pasture or when Im not 100% focused on him as we take a long walk. He is doing much better. I can put him down and he stays where I put him. Its not totally perfect yet, but its getting there. I think I must have a pretty darn good dog. He is doing very well the last 3 days. Im going to keep working at this for a while. I hope in a couple of months the relationship will only get better.

Good job! I went to your website. You have a beautiful family and I love your farm. It's our dream to do something like that. It's wonderful to be able to live your dream. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

The place needs a lot of work. But its worth it. Id rather grow and sell veggies and chicken and raise sheep and cows than go to work for The Man. Wait. Doesnt that make me The Man? I really just want to take it slow and get it right with my dog and with my farm. We are having a blast so far. Its busy, and its messy, but its fun.