BC Boards

Sick Pup

momtotwo

My little Zahra (born end of July) is sick! I noticed Wednesday night that she was kind of lethargic and by Thursday morning I could tell she wasn't well at all. She stayed in her kennel during the day and started acting like she was hurting. She had not been eating and drinking just few laps. No vomitting or diahrrea.

Today she continues to be lethargic, temp of 105 and she cries when you lift her tail and doesn't want to be moved.

Took her to our small town vet. Her WBC is high, Specific gravity and urine protein off the chart. He gave her gent and dex IM and sent her home. He said he'd never seen anything like this and it was out of his normal practice.

My best friend is a vet and she is concerned with that treatment. She lives on the other side of the state! :rolleyes: She'd prefer I go to the ER tonight but at a minimum to a vet friend of hers tomorrow.

We came and she ate some moistened food and drank some so I'm happy about that. She's back sleeping in her bed now though.

Poor little girl! The vet tonight said "You're too pretty of a girl to be so sick!" I'm just talking out my concerns! Thanks for listening!

post-9339-1228443219_thumb.jpg

He gave her gent and dex IM and sent her home.

My best friend is a vet and she is concerned with that treatment. She lives on the other side of the state! :rolleyes: She'd prefer I go to the ER tonight but at a minimum to a vet friend of hers tomorrow.

I see why!!!

If she was my pup she would be on the way to the nearest referral center right now.

Today she continues to be lethargic, temp of 105 and she cries when you lift her tail and doesn't want to be moved.

Took her to our small town vet. Her WBC is high, Specific gravity and urine protein off the chart. He gave her gent and dex IM and sent her home. He said he'd never seen anything like this and it was out of his normal practice.

>>

Does your small town vet not do hospitalization? A 105 temp that isn't going down is an emergency- get her to the ER ASAP.

>>

Does your small town vet not do hospitalization? A 105 temp that isn't going down is an emergency- get her to the ER ASAP.

Wow, that's serious. Yes, take her to the ER before something bad happens! Poor baby!

No they don't do hospitalization...well I could have left her there but no one would have been there with her! Temp is down (from the dex), she ate, drank, and went out to potty. She even met me at the stairs when I got home from picking up my son! We'll see what 12 hours does as the dex wears off. She's even cleaning herself up. She's sitting up on her bed now too. All good things! :rolleyes:

Thank you for your concern! I really do appreciate it! I will followup with a vet tomorrow or if she declines in the night we'll get in the car and drive but for now my friend is pretty comfortable with what she's doing and I trust her.

I'm happy to report that this morning things are looking good! She has been outside twice this morning and both times went off the deck and into the yard. She is eating and drinking and best of all wagging her tail! Will check in with my vet friend this morning and then follow up with a vet today.

We just moved to this area this summer. It's a rural area and even the "city" is rural compared to what I we were used to. I worked for the ER clinic in town and had a wealth of options so this was a little challenging! :rolleyes:

Dex is dexamethasone...it's a steroid

Oh don't worry I won't "wait until she crashes"! She'll be followed up with today! She needs to complete some antibiotics and get this all cleared up. She isn't "healed" by any means it's just good to see her feeling better!

Update on the pup! Went to our follow up appt. Took her to a different vet. We did a CBC (WBC still high), UA was negative, no temp, Metabolic panel all good. Then an ultra sound and nothing, then 2 abd x-rays....looked suspicious so started barium serie. 1 spot that is still concerning. It looks like we may be in for a foreign body sx. She still had had no vomitting even after eating 3 bowls of food and drinking plenty of water, no stool though either that we know of. She is not presenting like a normal foreign body but the xrays are pointing there. She is still stable so they are going to give her until morning and see what happens.

Puppy is all well! Barium x-rays proved inconclusive so they kept her for observation. No temp since Thursday. She has eaten and drank and pooped and peed. She's wild and crazy happy to be home! :rolleyes: They don't know the cause but he's suspecting a virus. Just glad she's normal again!

• 2 weeks later...
Puppy is all well! Barium x-rays proved inconclusive so they kept her for observation. No temp since Thursday. She has eaten and drank and pooped and peed. She's wild and crazy happy to be home! :rolleyes: They don't know the cause but he's suspecting a virus. Just glad she's normal again!

Do you mind if I ask how much you spent in vet bills for this episode?

Sure! I think I got a very good "deal" considering the care I received. I paid the orginaly vet $31 (visit, wbc (slide), ua (dip stick), abx and dex)

The other vet charged me $421-exam, 2 abd xrays, cbc, complete panel, ua, ultra sound, barium series and over night in the ER.

She's doing excellent too by the way! She has grown a ton in the last week and her coat is getting wavy and she's so soft!

Sure! I think I got a very good "deal" considering the care I received. I paid the orginaly vet $31 (visit, wbc (slide), ua (dip stick), abx and dex)

The other vet charged me $421-exam, 2 abd xrays, cbc, complete panel, ua, ultra sound, barium series and over night in the ER.

She's doing excellent too by the way! She has grown a ton in the last week and her coat is getting wavy and she's so soft!

I'm really glad to hear it. Thanks for the info. I just wanted to compare what I pay in Indiana.

Could you post some more pictures of the pup? She is beautiful.