BC Boards

anal gland problem vs odd habit

Dal & Mad's Mom

I have a new female border collie at the rescue who is shy and really doesnt want to come to me to go in her kennel.

I am working on her confidence with me slowly but, while we are working on her coming she starts skidding on her behind like a dog with anal gland issues. Do border collies get problems with them?

It's the only time I see this behavior which makes it even more strange.

It also looks like it could be that someone started to teach her a trick to crouch and spin but, it didnt work out just right.

Sheryl, can you have her glands checked? That's the first thing I would do. In the meantime, I'd shorten the distance that she is coming to you. In the absence of any physical problem, I'd re-work the training. Have her come just a step or two. Maybe put something in her way so that she has to curve a bit around it to get to you, use a different cue word, change your body language. If it's a learned behavior, then you'll need to 're-wire' her.

Maybe even build her confidence and trust more and let the come cue alone for a little while.

Hope this is helpful,

Ruth

My Ceana just got checked for her funky breath... it was her anal glands. She has randomly since then done the scoot twice that I have seen. She doesn't want anything to do with anyone when they are bugging her either. She likes to go sit by herself and sulk. I would say have her rear end checked out, it might make her feel better and be more cooperative.

My Ceana just got checked for her funky breath... it was her anal glands. She has randomly since then done the scoot twice that I have seen. She doesn't want anything to do with anyone when they are bugging her either. She likes to go sit by herself and sulk. I would say have her rear end checked out, it might make her feel better and be more cooperative.

Well thanks I had never heard they had that problem like other breeds but, I will get them checked as she also had an incision infection and a few other small problems. She only seems to do it when she's feeling submissive. She frequently likes to go out the dogroom door come almost to me go back out the door then come back up to me but, not quite. It's improving.

Well,

can someone explain to me why my dog has bad breath- just got his anal glads dumped and his teeth cleaned when he was bitten by Bliss. He doesn't eat poo. He's fed the same food as the other dog, yet.......boy oh boy.......his breath stinks and he's just a little over 2.

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Anal gland issues can and do happen in BCs. Idolon has always had a terrible time with her anal glands. Hers need to be internally expressed 1-2 times a month. Its important to get them done soon after you notice them being uncomfortable, because if left to their own devices, anal glands can become impacted, and infected. Its not very difficult, and with a home supply of rubber gloves and lubricant, well...your vet can teach you how to go about doing it. Its usually a two-person job, unless your dog is extremely comfortable with you being back there. Its also recommended that it be done outside, or on a surface easy to clean, because man is it FUNKY. Shoo.