BC Boards

Looking for a livestock dog trainer

BC-Liz

Hi,

I'd love to start, or at least give my dogs a chance at trying to work livestock. But I have no idea where there is a farm around here that I can train them at. Do any of you know of anyone I can contact? I'm in Cary North Carolina. And I guess I'd be willing to drive up to 45 mins away, but hopefully won't have to drive that far. Also, if you know of another method of looking for such a thing, please let me know that too. Thanks!!

wow really? Geez....guess it was hopeful wishing. Well, I guess an hour or so drive every once in a while isn't too bad. Do you know of any in that area? Oh and are there prereqs I should work on with my pups? They already sit and stay at a distance on command, but we kinda have to shout at them...?

Thanks

I go 80 to 160 miles 1 way to work with Julie and Robin. Just fill up the tank and then dont look at the gas guage, crank up the tunes and enjoy the ride! Finding good mentors and trainers to work with is well worth the time and money spent to get there. Training stockdogs consumes a lot of time, and some times a lot of it can be attributed to the driving! :rolleyes:

Hope to see you around, and dont forget, Julie is hosting a Jack Knox clinic in January. Hope to see you there!

I go 80 to 160 miles 1 way to work with Julie and Robin. Just fill up the tank and then dont look at the gas guage, crank up the tunes and enjoy the ride! Finding good mentors and trainers to work with is well worth the time and money spent to get there.

Hear! Hear!

We drive about an hour+ as often as we can--totally worth every minute (but it means you have to trade off other minutes, of course)

I go 80 to 160 miles 1 way to work with Julie and Robin. Just fill up the tank and then dont look at the gas guage, crank up the tunes and enjoy the ride! Finding good mentors and trainers to work with is well worth the time and money spent to get there. Training stockdogs consumes a lot of time, and some times a lot of it can be attributed to the driving! :rolleyes:

Hope to see you around, and dont forget, Julie is hosting a Jack Knox clinic in January. Hope to see you there!

Yep I'm definitely going to that clinic in January. I figure it's a great way to see what I may be getting myself into. :D I've had a few people tell me to contact Robin, looks like she'll be getting a PM from me. :D

We're only going for the trial days.

January 10 Open & Nursery to run in that order

January 11 Nursery, Ranch, Pro Novice, Novice (If time allows we will run Ranch,

Pro Novice

and novice classes a second time.) to run in that order.

fun day on Monday January 12th the cost will be $10.00 per

run.

All the Peglets are growing up! Someone needs to video, please. I won't be able to travel that far. Good luck Mark and remember, "Use the force, Luke" (sometimes running these breathlessly fast dogs reminds me of the scene where Luke is fighting the little zippy floaty things blindfolded).

Yep I'm definitely going to that clinic in January. I figure it's a great way to see what I may be getting myself into. :D I've had a few people tell me to contact Robin, looks like she'll be getting a PM from me. :rolleyes:

You're going to go home from the clinic with a head ache from all the information to be learned from a first time at one of Jacks clinics...

Don't feel bad about driving long ways, I drive sometimes twice a week to work with Anna and that's easily an hour and half drive one way. I can't think of a better way to spend a day!

Don't feel bad about driving long ways, I drive sometimes twice a week to work with Anna and that's easily an hour and half drive one way. I can't think of a better way to spend a day!

I agree, I drive a little over an hour one way to work with Wendy. It's well worth it. I can't think of a better way to spend a day, either!

I think I have you all beat!

I drive at least 6.5 hours at least once a month and spend a few days. It's mental health for me!

I have local sheep access at anytime, but my mentor lives in MO and I live in AR.

If there was a closer local trainer that I felt good with I'd be going, but that's the price you pay for good advise!

I don't do anything else, like shop for clothes, go to movies, or generally have a life other than sheep and dogs but it's my choice and passion so it makes/keeps me happy.

Wow, I think Kristen wins the "long haul" award!

I used to drive nearly two hours and thought absolutely nothing of it. I went two or three times a week. If I were less busy I'd probably do the same now - except now I only have to go about 45 min!

A good instructor and a good setup for training and mentoring is totally worth it.

When I first started out, I drove 1 hr. 15 minutes or so to my mentor's place. I did this 4-5 times a week. Granted, gas was cheaper then, and I still had my gas-sipping Honda Civic, but I think especially in the beginning it's important to put the time in and go as far as necessary to get the right training from the right instructor. I might have been able to compromise and find someone closer, but I doubt I would have gotten the great foundation I did, so for me it was worth it to put the time and distance in....

J.