BC Boards

Rescue dog goes home tomorrow

This dog was a "toss away" dog- thrown out in the back yard, very shy. He's attached himself to me so quickly I THOUGHT the best thing was to find a home right away, so he didn't have any more trauma. I went by the guys house. he has a 6 foot fence with a doggie door and is going to buy a crate. I already KNEW how well he treated his old dog that lived to be 17. He was looking and said "The right dog will come my way" Well, we took "Blue" to meet him. This dog does NOT like my BF or any man with a beard. Luckily, he ran in this guys lap- no beard. He is very timid- but not aggressive, not one tad bit!(lucky for me)

I've been working like crazy on this dog- only had him a little less than a week. He walks on a leash well, sits when I stop (I know he won't be showing him.....the old obedience thing kicks in) this afternoon he stayed on a long line with 2 kids on bikes and the mom with another dog going by- GOOD BOY!!! His come is very slow. I don't have time to fix it.

This is when I got him

newdog003.jpg

Today is the first time I saw his tail wag. :rolleyes:

The questions I have is, should I have put more training into him before placing him? Also, he is picking him up from the same vet we both use (Usher has shots due same day) right after the neuter (I think I mentioned HE is paying for heart worm testing and pills and micro chip) My vet knows him very well and I'm bringing in a little bit of my food to mix with what he feeds (science diet-ugh) am I doing this correctly? I thought that "Blue" would be more calm after the neuter and adjust better. He would give him all the lovin' he needs. Sleep on the bed...etc...

Hooray for you, hooray for Blue, and hooray for his new owner!

I have not a clue about whether or not you should have taught him more except to say that I think you might be very smart in not letting him get too attached to you, it sounds like he will be comfy with his new owner, his new owner and he will be able to bond as they work and train together, and his new owner sounds like a gem who is caring and the right sort of person for a dog who needs a loving (don't they all?) home. Yeah, that's definitely a run-on sentence.

Very best wishes!!

I think the amount of training needed depends on the adoptor. Personally, I prefer for a dog that I adopt to have very little training so I can do it myself.

If the adoptor is willing to take the dog as-is and provide necessary training, then I can't see why you should have done any more before placing the dog.

Although this was not the question - I do not place a dog I have had for under a week. His true personality has not yet been revealed to you - at a very minimum, dogs stay with us for two weeks, and preferably a month before placement. How can I tell an adopter stuff about a dog that I don't know? And how do I know what that dog needs if I barely know the dog?

JMO.

RDM

Although this was not the question - I do not place a dog I have had for under a week. His true personality has not yet been revealed to you - at a very minimum, dogs stay with us for two weeks, and preferably a month before placement. How can I tell an adopter stuff about a dog that I don't know? And how do I know what that dog needs if I barely know the dog?

JMO.

RDM

Very valid point RDM-

I don't usually place them this early, either, but this dog is bonding so much to ME, that I just feel it's in the best interest of the dog to bond to his new owner. He's such a quick learner, I'm sure he will love his forever home. Best thing is, I get to see him on week-ends!

I think I might be leery of sending him off that early IF I didn't know and really trust the new owner. Sounds like you have history with the man, and sounds like he's got enough dog sense to work with what he gets. Solidity under his feet sounds like a good thing for Blue. :rolleyes:

Mary