BC Boards

Unbelievebly Bad Breath

sweet_ceana

Seriously, I think Ceana could melt the siding off of a house if she breathed on it long enough. :rolleyes: We have a vet appointment for her highness tomorrow, but does anyone have a clue what can cause it? Thanks to you guys I know that it is a sign that something could be wrong... lol I just do not know what that something is? Her breath has been WICKED for a couple of weeks now. Can TBD give her rounchy breath? We found a couple of the recently adopted Pepper's traveling companions on Ceana.

Chris did last night, he thought everything looked fine, but I just don't think it is. Eek, Kidney is worry some. We had the Rimadyl overdose in July, I hope the two are not related. I have to remind Chris to bring up the ticks as well. We thought we had got them all, and then we found a few on Ceana. I am going to tick bath both dogs this weekend no matter what. I really hope this is just something simple.

What was done for the Rimadyl od? Did she get fluids to flush her kidneys?

Kidney breath is called "uremic" breath...and it smells just like it sounds. If you've ever smelled it you never forget it. I call it "buzzard breath".

That said, a dog with an abscess of the tooth can smell as bad.

We weren't sure who ate the pills so both dogs got flushed, medicated, and monitored for 3 days at the E-vet. Poor pups. I am leaning toward the ticks, because the breath appeared shortly after Pepper. Come to think of it both ceana and Poke have been more attentative to her , erm business. Could some kind of urinary infection cause bad breath? Poor Chris I'll send him to teh vet with a list of odd things from me

Get a urine sample to take with you to the vet. On the day of the visit, take Ceana out first thing in the morning on a leash. Have a cleaned out disposable plastic tray, like microwave meals come in, ready. When she squats for the first time, slide the tray under her little bottom. If it surprises her and she stops, it doesn't matter, you only need about a tablespoon or so.

You can use a pie plate or anything shallow that is clean. The larger diameter is helpful - the human doesn't have to worry about accuracy. It's important to get her first pee of the morning.

I take the pan and pour the urine into a ziplock plastic baggie, seal it, and put that in another ziplock baggie. It goes in the refrigerator till I get it to the vet, but that needs to be within a couple hours.

Good luck - it can seem awkward, but it's actually easier to do than to explain.

Ruth

Over the years I have developed a preference for only evaluating sterile urine samples when there is a question of infection. My vets agree, and mostly they doing voided samples only because owners can't stand the needle aspirate version. (which is not a big deal, but it involves a "needle"...which gets the collective gasp of most public)

Unfortunately though, you can't see what the problem really is in terms of bacteria unless the sample is uncontaminated.

I'd just make sure you take her to the vet without letting her potty first.

I think there was an article in Whole Dog Journal (or ??, my memory is foggy today) about how important it is to evaluate urine only with sterile samples. Otherwise you get false positive because of natural bacterial contamination when voiding.

The actual exam and the blood work is going to be way more important in checking out this dog. UTI's don't make bad breath....

Get a urine sample to take with you to the vet. On the day of the visit, take Ceana out first thing in the morning on a leash. Have a cleaned out disposable plastic tray, like microwave meals come in, ready. When she squats for the first time, slide the tray under her little bottom. If it surprises her and she stops, it doesn't matter, you only need about a tablespoon or so.

You can use a pie plate or anything shallow that is clean. The larger diameter is helpful - the human doesn't have to worry about accuracy. It's important to get her first pee of the morning.

I take the pan and pour the urine into a ziplock plastic baggie, seal it, and put that in another ziplock baggie. It goes in the refrigerator till I get it to the vet, but that needs to be within a couple hours.

Good luck - it can seem awkward, but it's actually easier to do than to explain.

Ruth

Over the years I have developed a preference for only evaluating sterile urine samples when there is a question of infection. My vets agree, and mostly they doing voided samples only because owners can't stand the needle aspirate version. (which is not a big deal, but it involves a "needle"...which gets the collective gasp of most public)

Unfortunately though, you can't see what the problem really is in terms of bacteria unless the sample is uncontaminated.

I'd just make sure you take her to the vet without letting her potty first.

I think there was an article in Whole Dog Journal (or ??, my memory is foggy today) about how important it is to evaluate urine only with sterile samples. Otherwise you get false positive because of natural bacterial contamination when voiding.

The actual exam and the blood work is going to be way more important in checking out this dog. UTI's don't make bad breath....

And if you do need a sample, a clean plastic soup ladle is a lot easier to to wield than a pie plate.