BC Boards

Whining dog in Agility Class

Today I attended my first agility class. I took my 4 yr old super laid back, super quiet and well behaved border collie. He was like a different dog! He whined the whole time unless he was doing an acitivity. He pulled me around and just had a hard time listening in general! He wanted to play and visit the other dogs. When we were doing an activity (we walked on a boardwalk, over a ladder lying on the ground (over the rungs), a tunnel and parachute) he did awesome! He loved it and totally caught on. But then the whining would begin. I treated, I scolded, I ignored. Nothing helped.

He has done his CGC so he knows his obedience. He was just unruley! I know it was his first night but we could hardly hear the instructor because of his crying!

She suggested a tug toy. He very submissive so she suggested something soft.

Any suggestions? My hope is that it will get better but he just gets so wound up!

He self rewarded on the way home and sneakily ate a pound of turkey deli meat! When I opened the back of the car I knew something was up! He was so guilty! :rolleyes:

Thanks so much!

This reminds me of when I took my youngster (much younger than four - but I think the same genes as yours!) to a four-day seminar with LOTS of other dogs around. We spent TWO FULL DAYS with me just trying to get his attention. Thankfully, I could take him "away" where I could still see and hear some of what was going on. We were back this year, and he was MUCH better.

A lot of folks work on the "look at me" thing. I don't like that, because I am NEVER (at least when standing still!) going to be as interesting as another dog working. So, mine now gets rewarded for WATCHING - if he's quiet and not pulling my arm out of its socket. Sometimes we still have to back off - get a bit farther from the action - but he has learned a lot in the past six months.

Perhaps if your instructor has another class you can attend and not participate - you could work on that sort of thing, without missing "your" class.

Just a thought. Hope it works!

diane

In your situation, I might try a crate. I wouldn't elect to crate the dog away from me, if possible. I would crate the dog next to me and toss in some treats from time to time when the dog is quiet. If your dog is getting over-excited from all of the activity in the room, having a specific action-free spot might do the trick.

It's worth a try if you have a portable crate, or there is a crate in the room you could borrow. I would probably cover it partially and reward the dog heavily for going in and settling down. This isn't punishment, but a way to teach the dog to relax.

I would also start this as far away from the action in the room as possible to set the dog up to succeed.

If I tried this and it didn't do the trick, I would move to more specific training to teach the dog to relax and focus.

ETA: Personally, I would not use a tug for this. I always want my dogs to learn to be in a room full of action and to be able to eventually settle down without me having to do anything to make it happen. Eventually, I want to return to my seat and the dog knows to settle either in a crate or on a mat, or just on the floor by my feet. Playing tug doesn't teach a dog to do this.

Don't get me wrong - tug is a fantastic reward out on the course, and it has a lot of excellent uses in Agility training and behavior modification. I use tug a lot in Agility. But for relaxation on the sidelines, I've never had one shred of success with it.

Oh, I wanted to add - if you decide to try the crate, make sure that your dog is familiar with going into a crate at home and that you heavily reward going in and lying down before you try it at class. It doesn't need to be a fluent, offered behavior before you take it to class - just something that your dog will find familiar. You might need to "re-teach" this in the class setting, but if it is familiar from home, that will usually go much, much faster.

As you noted, it was his first night so he could be much better next week as he becomes more used to the environment. Quinn's first night at agility class was grueling for me (fun for him) but he was much better behaved and I was better prepared for what I needed to do to keep his attention on me at our second night. He was the first dog I've had who didn't easily stay focused on me and what I wanted.

If you can get him to focus on you with a tug, great but you may need to really work on that skill away from competing stimuli -- several yards away from where the other dogs are or even outside the building. Is tugging something he will do with you at home? If not, I'd want to work on that before going back to class. Upping the value of the treats is often helpful in these situations (I take it your boy was ok after eating a pound of deli meat?), especially when combined with feeding dinner after class so the appetite is keener.

I also second using a crate to help him relax, covering it if necessary and treating for good behavior. And as Kristine says, you want the dog to be comfortable in the crate before using it as a calming technique. A dog who crates nicely is wonderful if you plan on doing any showing.

I use Watch Me as a handy tool with all my dogs, though I know Look at That is big nowadays. I've just never had the need to use it. The idea of using another class to work on calm behavior is also a good one. Your instructor might be open to that as long as it doesn't distract the handlers and their dogs.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I can't wait to go back. He has never been in a small kennel but may have to try that. I was just thinking tonight about how at our old house we had a roping arena and whenever he'd hear the gate he'd do something similar to what he did yesterday. He's such a quiet dog that we definately notice when he acts this way. He just loves to work. Now I just have to find the turn off switch! He's very focussed when he works. Yesterday the instructor was telling people about not facing their dogs when they came out of the tunnel as that would slow them down and then she came to us and laughed and said I needed to face my dog because he needs to slow down. He just loves the tunnel! It's so cool to see him having such fun!

Well tonight was MUCH better. I was much calmer going into class and walked him around outside and worked through some commands first. He cried a little but nothing like last week. He is doing so awesome!!! He loves to run through the chute! It's so fun to see him having so much fun! He had much better focus this week. Thanks so much!

Troy-boy is like that also on his first couple of days at agility class. His "problem" is he wants to say hi to EVERYONE and get to know them(maybe play is a better word) before he can settle. After the first day(sometimes 2) of class he is much more focus on what is expected.

Stella

Wow he is better at the second class. You should be happy. Remember TTT things take time. Your boy is smart and keenly aware that a lot of new exciting stuff is going on. Agility is challanging and you will need to be patient with him and yourself. Sounds like a great dog

george

post-9348-1226641291_thumb.jpg

Thank you again for the suggestions! I'll check into the book. :rolleyes: Tonight was week #3. Oh my I'm having so much fun! I'm sad it's half way over! He is doing pretty well. Still a little whining but so much better than that first class. If I keep him busy he's fine.

Tonight we did a double tunnel (not sure the right name for it...2 tunnels in a row), practiced 2 on 2 off on a A frame ramp, chute, tire, wobble board, down stays, and turn (in and out).

He wanted to go through the corner of the tire but otherwise he's doing very well. He's a tunnel freak! He's having a blast!

My Mom (who is going with me with her Mini Aussie) and I are both already in panic mode because "what will we do when class is over". I think you can say we are successfully addicted!