BC Boards

stupid stupid stupid neighbors

Those ignorant neighbors let that flippin dog out again, and we were working with Riven off leash. She was doin GREAT beautifully, playin in the yard with us, she ran straight to the door to go in, and just before we get the door unlocked, guess who comes tearing out of the other house. Riven COMPLETELY ignored us, our noises, us calling her and the other dog ignored her people too. So here come the neighbors, and all be danged if the two dogs just start spinning around down the yard where no one can catch them. Finally the guy gets his dog, and Riven runs toward the female. DH finally got her to come back, and in the door she went (with a little push from me after she hesitated).

These people looked outside and knew we were out there. We saw her look outside like 2 minutes before they came out. SHE LOOKED DIRECTLY AT US. So, now, the neighbors left, and the dam dog is in the back yard yapping away. Im so freakin sick of them they've been there a week, and I've already messed 2 sessions up with Riven cause of that dang dog. I live in a duplex, so my side of the yard is the only place I can go. We arent fenced in. They are, except their front, which is where that stupid dog came from both times. Someone help me out with what to do. I dont know if I should be upset Riven ran, or praise her for coming back. Should I ask the neighbors to let me use that dog for distractions? What do I do, my husband and I are clueless.

Originally posted by smileyzookie:

I dont know if I should be upset Riven ran, or praise her for coming back. Should I ask the neighbors to let me use that dog for distractions? What do I do, my husband and I are clueless.

Always be happy Riven came back, even if it was after she ran off. Always convince Riven you're happy she came back, even if it's the last thing you feel like doing. You don't want to give her reasons not to come back.

How about if you introduce yourself to your neighbors and let them know you're training Riven, so could they not let their dog out front when they see you working with her? You could ask if they'll let you use their dog as distraction. I wouldn't hand my dog off for that use, but then I don't let my dog go running out the front door to disrupt a strange dog in middle of a training session. I might just be funny that way

As long as you're going to be bumping into these people and their dog, you might want to try going the friendly route with them. Many, many dog owners are just ignorant. Your friendship might help educate this couple a bit and make them better dog owners and better neighbors.

One of the things I say to myself when a neighbor bugs me is "If this is the worst thing they ever do to me, I can live with it." Granted, I have been extraordinarily lucky with my neighbors, but the point of my mantra is bad blood with someone who lives next to you or close by can make life so unpleasant or even ugly.

I would be frustrated as well, but your neighbors probably let their dog out out of ignorance. They probably thought it would be a fun opportunity for them to play.

It's a good idea to use their dog as a distraction. Why was Riven off leash though? Even Boy, who learned quickly, was on leash the entire first 6 weeks or so. The better he got, the longer the lead got, until it was 50 feet long! Even then he dragged the lead for quite some time.

Yesterday I bought another 50' lead because hubby mowed over the old one. It cost $12 at PetsMart. It's a yellow nylon one (I think nylon), not the cotton ones, which are too expensive IMO.

The recall is one of the most important things you can teach a dog. Don't screw it up! For step by step instructions, go here.

Using their dog as a distraction would be great - if it was somewhat calm anyway.

Talk to them! Tell them about Riven and training her, they might actually be happy to help (and they might get the training hint too :rolleyes: ) Also (if you can) get Riven on a leash and do training by the yappy-thing's fence. That way Riven will hopefully learn to ignore "it".

The other thing, when you correct your dog - don't just walk away. Go back to the situation and dare them to mess up again. If they mess up again - bigger correction. But do not just walk away - that may actually hurt your training.

Next time (if there is one) once you grab and correct Riven, tell the people to wait and hold their dog. Tell them that you need to train your dog for this. Let Riven go, then call her - if she comes, praise, if not, correct. Then do it again. Once she is coming to you around the dog and ignoring "it" you can tell them that it is OK to leave now.

If they are going to let their dog in your yard make them stay and take advantage of it. :D

But when you are training - if fido messes up, always correct, then dare them to make the mistake again. If they mess up again - bigger correction. THAT is training.

Originally posted by Miztiki:

It's a good idea to use their dog as a distraction. Why was Riven off leash though? Even Boy, who learned quickly, was on leash the entire first 6 weeks or so. The better he got, the longer the lead got, until it was 50 feet long! Even then he dragged the lead for quite some time.

We were being brave. We were testing her.. stupid maybe but we wanted ot know our progress. And, it was wonderful till that dang dog came out.

It's only wonderful when it works.... and you only know it works when it's tested. Riven was tested - to a point she's not ready for, but at least now you know that.

Chat w/ the neighbor, see if that gets you anywhere. If not, call Animal Control for loose dog :rolleyes:

I would be friendly and explain how you are working on training Riven. I wouldn't be at all accusatory as your dog was also off leash so both parties were at fault. As for the dog barking away behind the fence, I would use it as a training aid and work Riven up to where she can do anything, right beside the fence. If is annoying as heck to have a dog barking next door but unless you live somewhere with noise laws and authorities to uphold it there is really not much you can do.

Why not fence in your part of the yard? That way you don't have to depend on them.

Olivia

I like Kat's Dogs idea. Based on the previous episodes should shock them enough to temporarily plant them. And possibly strike up dog training conversations. If that don't work, I'd go with fence.

Since she looked out just before letting dog out I'd say a few things could be going on.

1. maybe they are looking for excuse to meet ya'll and get together with dogs.

2.Just living in la la land and don't know their dog could have been in danger or could cause trouble.

3. Doing it on purpose just to stir up stuff~ only this option doesn't really seem right since they just recently moved in. But then again some folks are not happy till they make others miserable.

I think there were a lot of good suggestions here. I think the biggest one is go talk nicely to your neighbors and explain that you were training. Most folks would understand that, and be extremely helpful in not letting their dog out. Then maybe suggest that you guys have a play date after training too! That will make them feel welcome and included (and also gives you a bit more control over the situation). Most folks react really well to positive reinforcement.

Originally posted by Kat's Dogs:

But when you are training - if fido messes up, always correct, then dare them to make the mistake again. If they mess up again - bigger correction. THAT is training.

Kat had some really good suggestions too... but I am not sure if I am taking this out of context. I would not initially correct for a dog not ignoring a distraction, until you know it is a proven (say 80%) behavior. Instead I would start with the long lead as Miz suggested, and gradually work from there. If your recall is ignored and you have no way to enforce the recall... then Riven is basically positively reinforcing her own ignoring you with a self rewarding behavior (IE free dog/play chase).

I had a lot of trouble with Angel when I first got her and external stimulus. I set up a "Go see" [OK, go see whatever you are interested in] and "Free dog" [OK, go do whatever you would like to do until the next command] so that I was in control of when she was on and off the clock. It has helped immensly.

As a side note, If I think I am going to lose her attention, I will offer that command before she has decided she is going to do it anyway, and now most of the time, she will just wait for the command.

Correcting a dog in my book can be very little (as I would do here because Riven just isn't ready for a distraction that big) something like just taking her by the collar and moving her (gently, she should be walking not being dragged) back to where you called her. Not even a collar pop in that situation - it would be to much. Sometimes the world (or neighbors:D) don't work with you and training your dog so you have to work with it.

However, with my dogs they know way better by now and I would give a light collar pop or something to them for that same behavior.

Basicly, a correction isn't something mean.

They can be very small - and need to be in a situation like this. Even just tapping her on the back and getting her attention would be a type of correction. (a good, little correction for this situation)

The problem I had though was that I couldnt catch her to correct her. I dont know how to explain it. This dog and her were going in circles. If I'd come near, they'd circle so the other dog was closest to me and I'd have to go around. If the neighbor came, it was the neighbor who got clos to Riven. Make sense? lol

I admit it was stupid to let her off leash. I hate people who let their dogs off leash. So, I guess I shouldnt have.

Riven doesnt really care that dogs over there yapping. Its only when she can see it. We can walk by dogs in fences where we cant see them, and she doesnt care. But as soon as she can, she goes bezerk.

The reason we arent fenced in is unknown. Every duplex here is, except ours. We are moving, just havent found a house yet. We want a home with a back yard and fence. Our problem is we keep finding 3 or 4 bedroom homes. We have no kids lol.. its just too big. :rolleyes: