BC Boards

The things I get excited about these days...

I finally broke down and bought a chest freezer. It is ridiculous how excited I am about this. Just think of the deals I can now take advantage of for the dogs! :rolleyes: At no point, did I consider the freezer might be used for me.

I ended up getting a 13cu ft chest freezer. The reason behind me getting the freezer: a co-worker of mine runs a beef cattle operation. He recently lost a heifer to a lightning strike. As it wasn't a planned slaughter, he ony had room for ~80 pounds in his freezer. He knew I feed Dublin raw and knew I would like to have it. He made arrangements to keep the beef in a freezer at a local store until this weekend to give me time to get a freezer. So now I have 400 pounds of organic, grassfed beef in my freezer. :eek: I have a huge chunk in my refridgerator as well, because I couldn't fit it all in the freezer. He also threw in most of the organs "because he knew I would like that stuff" :D and he wouldn't take a penny for it. He is such a nice guy.

Congrats! :rolleyes:

Having just ordered and received two big, big (big!! And thawed in one case - urgh :D ) boxes of meat and bones - and cow ears! - I have a nicely stuffed freezer myself right now.

Great as it is that way, on days like today it would be nice if there was room for ice cream (not that there'd be much sense in trying to store ice cream in my freezer - I might as well eat it right in the shop :D )

Sounds like you're going to have a kitchen massacre day...or is it already cut to small pieces?

...or is it already cut to small pieces?
Nope...it is very much 'fresh off the farm' and still in big (huge!) chunks. I already damaged my freezer loading the beef. I dropped a leg (about 50 pounds) and it cracked the liner in 2 places. Kind of bummed about that. It is ridiculous that they make the liners of freezers out of plastic. In the 'olden days' they used to be lined with metal - much more durable.

:rolleyes:

On reasons for buying things - a few years ago I had 2 dogs and a pet sheep. I was looking for a new car - test drove an all wheel drive Corolla, which was lovely to drive, but as I said to the salesman - it wasn't a 'proper' station wagonm and I couldn't fit 2 dogs and a sheep in it comfortably - or 5 dogs and 2 or 3 humans when my friend and I would take our dogs somewhere to hike. Salesman's face was a picture!

Can you get the liner repaired? Now you need a food saver to preserve all that stuff without freezer burn. I got pretty excited when I got my chest freezer, too. Between my parents next door and my house we have five fridge/freezers and two chest freezers. My dad wants to buy a whole cow. YUCK! Hopeless city girl.

I couldn't fit 2 dogs and a sheep in it comfortably *snip*...Salesman's face was a picture!

Seems like a perfectly reasonably requirement to me! :rolleyes:

Can you get the liner repaired?
I'm going to try to 'putty' it (well when I can get to it - right now it is under 400lbs of beef). If that doesn't work, I might just resort to duct tape!

Now you need a food saver to preserve all that stuff without freezer burn.
You know, I hadn't even thought about freezer burn. Only having had a 'regular' freezer, the stuff never stayed in there long enough. Hmmmm....I"ll have to think about this...though I doubt the dogs would care if it was freezer burned. :confused:

Yay! That's great!

My parents bought one of those... thingies... a machine that sucks all the air out of freezer bags so things stay really fresh. They *love* it. Though I think you'd have to cut things up a wee bit smaller if you had one!

Talking about driving vehicles with "unusual" animal passengers - we used to have a Ford Pinto Station Wagon many years ago. I would put my grade Nubian goats in the back to take them to be bred to a good buck.

While stopped at a red light in town on the way to get my sweet Pepper bred, I could see that the folks in the next car were saying, "That's the ugliest dog I've ever seen"! I must admit that Pepper would win no beauty prizes but I loved her dearly and she could produce a ton of milk and milkfat.

When we moved from northern VA to central NY one snowy January, all three adult does rode in the back of that Pinto (with me and the baby in his carseat up front) with some hay bales forming a barrier to keep them there. We got stuck in a snowstorm in central PA and took a motel for the night.

I came out the next morning early to walk my goats, to find Sister happily sitting in the driver's seat as she'd managed to push past the hay bales. She looked like all she needed was the keys. Pepper and Tater were comfortably relaxed in the back.

Needless to say, several people at the motel commented on the weird dogs in our car and wondered why we hadn't kept them in our motel room over night. At least they hadn't reported us to animal control.

When we moved from northern VA to central NY one snowy January, all three adult does rode in the back of that Pinto (with me and the baby in his carseat up front) with some hay bales forming a barrier to keep them there.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My aunt used to drive a Pinto - I admire your packing skills... :rolleyes::D