BC Boards

Itching/Canidae

lance

Bandit has been itching daily for about a week now.

I even but frontline on 5 days early thinking maybe flees.

I am now now like many here looking for new dog food.

He has been on Canidae for about 2 yrs now, and about half

way through a 30 lb bag of newly changed Canidae formula

Any idea what ingrediants to avoid in new dog food. Wheat?

What ingrediants are different in new Canidae vs old Canidae?

on a side note. His first poop today looked normal, but his 2nd poop

was the color and consistance of quacamole. I'm guessing maybe grass he ate yesterday!

Lance

was the color and consistance of quacamole. I'm guessing maybe grass he ate yesterday!

Lance

I'm also curious about the formula change. I know that "pearled barley" is in the new Canidae, and could mean there's gluten in there. My dog got itchier this summer, and while I can't blame it on the food necessarily, it did make me switch.

Anyone have an old list of ingredients vs. a new list?

Mary

Lance

One other thing I forgot to add. I hose Bandit down daily when we get home after either him being in overgrown grass, woods, or beach. Could that maybe effect the oils in his skin, drying it out, and cause itching more?

I found why change in formula and what was changed on Canidae site:

http://www.canidae.com/new-formulas.html

Lance

Guest maya's mom

We started using California Natural after our puppy showed dry skin flakes all over her body shortly after bringing her home. We also supplement her food with a Skin and Coat oil that Claifornia Natural produces. It is just an oil that I put 1/2 teaspoon over her food. Within a week or so, all of the dry skin cleared up, and her coat is so soft and shiny. I know that California Natural is touted as a food for "sensitive" dogs.........it only really has like 3 ingredients. We feed the Adult Formula Lamb and Rice. Goodluck.........I hope your dog is feeling better soon!

One of my dogs became insanely itchy when we made the switch to the new formula. I pretty much right away switched him to something else and he's doing fine now. I've never, EVER had a problem with him in particular itching, so it caught me by surprise. I suppose it's possible that daily hosing could have something to do with it - could be stripping some oils, although I see you're not using soap?

Anyway, initially my dogs' deposits were pea green - I'm assuming from the peas (PEAS?? Who puts PEAS in dog food as a substantial part of the formula?) had something to do with that.

One of my dogs became insanely itchy when we made the switch to the new formula. I pretty much right away switched him to something else and he's doing fine now. I've never, EVER had a problem with him in particular itching, so it caught me by surprise. I suppose it's possible that daily hosing could have something to do with it - could be stripping some oils, although I see you're not using soap?

Anyway, initially my dogs' deposits were pea green - I'm assuming from the peas (PEAS?? Who puts PEAS in dog food as a substantial part of the formula?) had something to do with that.

Laura,

The dog that was itchy from new canidae, what is he /she on now?

Lance

He's on Taste Of the Wild - the fish formula, now, and doing fine. He's eaten the following before with no adverse affects: California Natural (lamb meal and rice, puppy formula), Eagle Pack duck, Orijen, TWO, Pinnacle Duck & Potato, and probably more that escape me at the moment. I try to keep only two foods going at once - so right now we're working our way through the TOTW fish, and Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice.

Someone in a earlier, similar thread pointed out that adding peas or "pea protein" to the dog food raises the protein content of the food, so that the companies can claim they have higher protein ratios than they would without peas. Pea protein is not (from what the other thread said) useable by dogs. Not sure if this is true or not.

MBC

Pea protein is not (from what the other thread said) useable by dogs. Not sure if this is true or not.

I've noticed that some people claim that plant protein is unusable by dogs. I don't know where this comes from. I will accept that it contains a different balance of amino acids, but assuming the food is cooked (or processed, as it would be for pea protein?) it surely cannot be unusable? The reason manufacturers use it is presumably that it is cheaper than animal protein.

We dropped Canidae from our rotation because I felt that the food dropped in quality (and increased in price!). I know that Senneca does get itchy with commercial wheat products -- I don't know if that applies to barley as well. Oddly, she has never had a problem with our home-baked sourdough bread.

I've noticed that some people claim that plant protein is unusable by dogs. I don't know where this comes from. I will accept that it contains a different balance of amino acids, but assuming the food is cooked (or processed, as it would be for pea protein?) it surely cannot be unusable?

It's my understanding that it can be difficult for dogs to access the nutrients in plants, but that cooking and/or smashing veggies makes some of the nutrients available. From what I've read, plant matter is not needed by dogs, but can be beneficial if cooked/processed so that the nutrients are available.

I don't think there's really a clear answer out there. I wouldn't choose not to feed a food just because there are vegetable/fruit ingredients in it as long as there were sufficient meat in it. I do choose to avoid grains, though.

update............................................

Today I bought a bag of Solid Gold- Wolf king

It was highly recommended my sales clerk who has her dog on it.

I really think Bandit will do great on it! Bison is the primary meat.

I mixed it half and half tonight with his Canidae.He only left 7 kibbles in his dish...........they were Canidae!

So I know he likes the taste. The ingediants really sound good also.

Slightly more expensive than canidae($5 more on 33lb bag.

Lance

I did a food change several weeks ago after discovering that the MediCal formula had been changed. The dogs were having skin problems along with a few other things. I did a considerable amount of research and tried several free samples of a number of foods. The dogs seemed to love Blue Buffalo and I am currently using it. I am not surprised but many of their problems went away. Unless I missed something in my research it seems to be a good quality food and the dogs love it. I add some plain yogart to their food every second day and they quite excited about that. I am not seeing any problems at all so I will stick with Blue Buffalo but keep a close eye.