BC Boards

Pathetic Puppy Protestations

It dawned on me a couple days ago that one of my neighbors must have gotten a puppy, because I was hearing that distinctive lonely pup wailing coming from across the way. It dawned on me yesterday that this puppy is crying and crying a LOT. Just now, it's been yelping and crying for about two hours. I'm assuming it's been left alone, or it's in a box or crate while the family is somewhere else.

I haven't raised a pup in my adulthood. You pup raising types: is it normal for them to cry so long and consistently? It's breaking my heart. Don't know where it is (this is a densely-populated neighborhood), and I have no idea what kind of pup it is... but it's so pathetic!

(There! It just silenced itself! Someone must have come home!)

Mary

I'm glad it's quieted down, that sound is just like a knife to the heart! (ok maybe not that bad, but bad) That's why I was such a failure at crate training Ling, puppy howling just makes me cave.

My main comment, however, is just a compliment for your very impressive alliteration! Wonderful title on this post.

The first day, and first day only that we left Daisy alone she cried the whole time we were gone. I silenced it by putting a previously worn shirt in her kennel with her.

The only reason we knew that she cried was because our neighbours heard her and it broke their hearts, she actually made him walk up and down the alley way to make sure it wasn't a puppy in distress somewhere. They came over to meet her as soon as we came home!

If you hear that crying, do go check out the situation.

We had that happen here - DH and Ferg were out walking and heard puppy cries. Another neighbor heard it also and joined them looking for the dog. It was behind a fence, but fallen into a decrepit swimming pool - with storm water in it.

Had they not gotten through the fence and rescued the pup, she would have drowned in that bit of water.

Yes, the family should have known better. But Animal Control gave the pup back to them.

I once had a McNab pup that was so pitifully persistant, that I had to leave to get away from the stubborn wailing. It was the most difficult dog Ive ever had to teach to crate quietly. It took quite awhile and I spent a lot of time at the library instead of home (where she was) to get away from the crying. She was relentless if she knew I was anywhere around. Litterally made herself hoarse. And, she was very, very loud! Luckily I didnt have anyone living close by, or Im sure she would have been accused of violating some noise ordinance.

::Sigh::

OK, so it's fairly normal, then. I won't be thinking I need to worry about her being mistreated - she's just a crying type. Thanks for the input.

Nancy, what a scary situation for that puppy! Good that you investigated! I'm pretty sure this pup is physically OK, since I've heard her crying on and off for several days. I think she just doesn't want to be alone. I'm hoping the owners are doing what Darci had to do: teach the dog to self-calm.

Mary

Not sure if this belongs on this thread, but go to YouTube and type in "Puppy Screams Elmo." :rolleyes: Looks like it could be a BC pup. No matter where Scooter is in the house, he comes running to find out what that noise is! LOL! :D

It's possible that the people don't know that the puppy cries all day. We had a guy in the apartment next to us that had a husky puppy kept in the bathroom adjacent to our bedroom, and he would SCREAM the entire time the guy was gone BUT would be quiet as an angel when the guy was coming and going. The guy left at 5 am, so you can just imagine how thrilled we were with the screamer. The pup would take two or three short naps during the day, but screamed for the rest of the time. For weeks. Several of our neighbors and us mobbed his door one day and let him know, and he was so apologetic. He rehomed the dog to a family who was home during the day and got a cat. I still have nightmares about that dog...

HIIIIIIIIII YIIII YIII YIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWL HIIIII HIIIII YIIIII.... (ad nauseum)

It might be a good thing to let them know the pup is crying, and maybe suggest some things they could do to help - I'm thinking along the lines of frozen Kongs - maybe print off some recipes for fillings to give to them - or treat puzzle balls - if they're new to dog ownership, for example, they just mightn't know.