BC Boards

Panic attack

PENNSTER

Does anyone have any suggestions for BC/Mix that goes into Panic attacks when thunderstorms come through?

My foster just goes crazy when ever we have a thunderstorm, I'm talking so bad he tries to hide and climb through walls!

If he's in his crate he tries to chew through the bars. I have had BC's all my life and I have never seen anything like this before. I know they can be sensitive to noises etc. I've just never had to deal with it before. Any suggestions would help, I know you can put them on med's but I was hoping there maybe a better solution.

I have one dog who is afraid of thunder. He can usually sense a storm coming long before I do. His response is to find a place to hide. When outside he comes to me which is good but when he is in the house he goes into a closet in our bedroom. We leave the closet door open just a bit so he can get his paw in and push the door. If I am at my desk he will come and hide under it. We do not crate him at night because he will panic if a storm comes through and I would prefer not to put him under that stress. We do not respond in any way to him when there is a storm and we have never tried to force him to do anything. We would prefer not to use medications. He seems to be fine with hiding so we just allow him to do it. He has always been afraid of storms and at first he would really panic but he seems to have mellowed out over the years.

When they are this bad about storms, it rarely gets better on its onw and usually it gets worse. It's time to seek vet help and meds; but do not use acepromazine. You'll find this topic dicussed many times, do a search for thunderphobia.

Mark

I agree with Mark, I too have a thunder phobic dog, though she isnt as bad as you describe your foster to be. She just wants to stay in her crate, and doesnt come out till the storm has well and passed or sticks like glue to my leg. But when it comes down to the dog possibly hurting itself, meds will probably help the dog alot. Ace is not good, as Mark stated. Try e-mailing Melannie (solo) and she may can help you further.

I have gone back and did a search on Thunderphobia and I think I will contact my vet, I too feel that this boy will hurt himself if something isn't done. Most times I have been at home with him and stayed with him until it ended. I now see that isn't the correct way either. Thanks for your help and hopefully I can help him before something happens.