BC Boards

Obedience classes...

I live in Sonora, CA, about 2 hours southeast of Sacramento. I need to start my pup in an obedience class asap and was wondering if anyone is from around here and could recommend a class. The only classes i've found myself here are offered by the " Sierra-Tuolumne Kennel Club " and is associated with the AKC. I may just try them out but since I might possibly want to continue after puppy obedience I wouldn't want to meet a border owner who supports the AKC too much, which could be possible there. The potential arguments are what I'd be worried about.

Brandon - I know many people here would have NOTHING to do with anything AKC. Since the resource I had in my area was an AKC-affiliate club, that's where I took (and take) my youngsters. I have the opportunity to learn and they have the chance to socialize.

Our classes here are taught by experienced volunteers (they "earn" one free class session for each class session they teach), and the cost of the class goes to pay for supplies, handouts, building rent and maintenance, etc.

Our classes are for ALL dogs, purebred, rescue, shelter, muttleys, whatever - no dog is discriminated against because it's not AKC-registered. The point of the class is to give the owner/handler the skills to train their pup/dog to be a happy and mannerly member of the family forever.

It's for the sake of the dog and that is why our instructors and assistants donate their time, travel, and efforts to the classes, not for any personal gain. That's why I remain an assistant instructor in spite of my strong feelings against the conformation breeding and showing of dogs.

And, yes, I run into folks who have AKC-registered and conformation-bred Border Collies, but rarely. We can understand each other's point of view and remain friends in spite of differing opinions if we are both willing to do so. I don't criticize other's choices but I'm more than happy to give my opinion if it's asked - it has been and I've gotten into quite a "spirited" discussion with others who don't agree with my opinion.

There is always a potential for an argument but it takes two people to argue. If you choose to not argue, there won't be an argument. If another person chooses to pursue the topic against your wishes, they are being rude.

Am I a hypocrite for supporting the AKC in this manner - yes, according to many people here and I won't disagree with them. I do what I'm doing for the sake of the dogs and their owners who take the classes. It's to help keep those dogs happily in their homes forever by helping provide the owners with the skills and understanding they need. Every successful "graduate" dog/owner team is the reward for the work.

Now, this philosophy is not that of all AKC-affiliate clubs and perhaps you need to find out what the club and instructors' outlook is before you make a decision. Go and see the facility and watch a few classes before you decide what's best for you and your dog.

Best wishes!

I took agility classes, and was a member of, the local AKC affiliate club a few years ago; I would be still if I had the $$ for classes.

I met a fair number of people w/ rescue or herding line BCs in classes and very few conformation bred dogs. Many of the people who took classes with me also weren't handling dogs registered in AKC (like me and my girl) - the instructors never pushed AKC and many compete in multiple venues. The club is the only place in the area that offers agility, so I figure the benefits are worth the 'risk' of working with people that support AKC. :rolleyes:

Like Sue said, it takes two to argue.

A majority of the training clubs and schools in our area area have affiliations, in one form or another, with the AKC. Allie has taken obedience classes from a private school where the owner was a major AKC show handler; however, there was never any mention of any AKC issues (there were a lot of mixed breeds, as well as purebred dogs in the classes). I think that you would be "safe" in most obedience classes. :rolleyes:

Now, the same school (and the local dog training club, which has wonderful rally, tracking and agility classes) also offers conformation , which is where I suspect you might have an issue. Show and competition classes are usually where you might have a run-in with the AKC mentality.

I admit that I have not yet enrolled Allie in the agility classes I want to take because of that reason and am looking for something a little more "neutral".

I just did a quick Google search of Sonora and got several hits regarding dog training. Two hours is a lot to drive and you might be able to find a good puppy class closer to home.

Good luck!

I guess its a matter of whether or not you want to be involved with the AKC, even indirectly. A lot of people wouldn't touch that club with a 10' pole. I personally have been in a club associated with AKC and didn't have a problem with it, but I've since found a non-AKC club that's just as good - I figured why not switch?

I hope people like me aren't the "type" that people are afraid of associating with. My dog is AKC-registered and looks like your typical show BC (tho I'm thankful he got the work ethic and temperament from the working lines behind him) but anyone who takes the time to talk to me will realize that I don't like the registry and as far as BCs go, strongly support the breeding of working dogs. Unfortunately, not many people take the time to talk to me when they see my fluffy dog. Guess I should shave him and tape his ears :rolleyes:

I did an obedience class associated with a Kennel that had a mix of dogs. I thought it was great for socializing. The trainer there works with reactive dogs so it was good for them to see dogs misbehaving. I think you take whatever experience you can with your dogs.

Mom goes to the AKC club in St pete when she is there on vacation and says people are friendly and interested in other dogs and what they do.

Unfortunately, not many people take the time to talk to me when they see my fluffy dog.
Why would that be? I've seen lots of BCs that were pretty long haired. My pup probably will grow up to look something like this:

gallerydirectart_1921_257981396

His dad looks a lot like that, though his mom has shorter hair. Both are working BCs.