BC Boards

Do you miss your little puppy?

I was just scratching Zak today and wondering what he was like when he was just a little pup. Since I rescued him right at 8 months old I never knew him as a little puff ball and wish that I had. Not only because I wish that I had the extra time with him and got to hold him so young but also to save him of his previous life of abuse.

I got to looking back at Koda's pictures as a little guy (see avatar) and miss that little face too. He's still the cutest little boy around but hes not so little anymore at 8 1/2 months old. Still a puppy but not that oh so adorable face full of the softest of soft puppy fur.

I sometimes wish I could have had both of them as little ones together. Just meandering thoughts. Here is a video of little Koda right after I got him.

Ryan

I got Scooter at 6 weeks. He was adorable. And yes, I miss that little puppy face and cuddly little body, but he's such a beautiful guy now, and so well behaved! There are days when I think it would be nice to have another BC puppy, but then sanity takes over. LOL. I understand your feelings though. You missed out. We have lots of pictures of Scooter growing up. Thank God for digital cameras! We would have spent a fortune! :rolleyes:

NO! I'm not a big fan of puppies in general (or rather I'm not a big fan of raising puppies) and for our first couple of months together, Quinn was the worst puppy I've ever had. I hope never to bring home another puppy. No doubt I'm not the norm on this, but I'll take a full of himself, testing limits, too smart of his own good teen over a fluffy, adorable baby any day. Once a puppy is 6, 8, 10 months or older, I find them way more fun and rewarding. And once the dog is an adult, nicely trained, wise in the ways of his world, they are so easy to have around.

On the other hand, I also know about wondering what a teen or adult rescue was like as a baby. The best thing for me about getting a puppy is I like knowing how he was raised, what happened in those formative months and that I'm giving him the best start I can.

River is still very much a puppy and I love it. I loved her fluffy cuteness 8 weeks ago but I still love her 16 week old cuteness. I can't wait until she's a full fledged adult though. I mean, I'm going to love every minute of her puppyhood, heh, and it's not like she's huge trouble yet or anything but I originally got a puppy with the idea of having a adult dog around, eventually. The only reason I got a puppy rather than an adult was because I really wanted to know what I was getting (for my first dog on my own at least). So yeah, I love having a puppy around but I think I'm going to love have an adult River around even more - or at least the same amount, so I probably won't miss the puppy (except for the awful cuteness they tend to have). :rolleyes:

I miss Pete as a puppy only because that means I would have more time with him. In all honesty though, I too find an adult dog so much more fun! I loved raising Petey as a puppy and giving him the best start I could, and seeing him develop into that adult was wonderful but I'm glad he's the grown-up he's become. I've never really missed anything about Petey being a puppy, but I would definitely feel like I missed out on something if I rescued him as an adolescent or something. I would raise a puppy again, and again probably, I loved it, but I could see why someone would never do it again!

I do miss the cute puff of black running around, but I tell ya, she had to have been THE WORST puppy on the face of this planet. BUT, I would do it again in a second, I just love puppies, I love their curiosity and I love watching them grow up, oh and I love puppy breath. I am one of those who isn't having kids, so another puppy wouldn't be so bad. I do agree though that at 3 Daisy is turning into the most rewarding dog I've ever had! But I think it's because I've had to actually work on it.

The only reason I got a puppy rather than an adult was because I really wanted to know what I was getting (for my first dog on my own at least). So yeah, I love having a puppy around but I think I'm going to love have an adult River around even more - or at least the same amount, so I probably won't miss the puppy (except for the awful cuteness they tend to have). :rolleyes:

We debated for a long time before we decided to get a puppy and raise it ourselves. And the main reason was, as in your case, first dog owners (as adults at least) and didn't think we had the experience behind us to handle a dog with possible issues. Puppyhood is fun, but a lot of work too. And I can say now, with 98% assurance, I know my dog and all his little quirks. And I love every one of them! :D

There is something to be said for puppies though. Dont get me wrong as I know how much work it is to raise them! I have had numerous BC pups and they can be hell on four legs - Koda was and is getting to be very testy lately. I too enjoy an adult dog very, very much but part of the experience of a dog to me is from little to old.

I have a wonderful relationship with Zakky but at the same time there is something missing and I believe that it was having him from when he was little. I have always been a strong supporter of adoption - 2 of my 4 dogs are adopted as I have always had the rule that if I buy one the next MUST be adopted. But having a pup from a wee one creates a bond that can be found only when raised from infancy. Thats not to say your heart dog couldnt be found at age 2!

I really love my Zakky boy and can only imagine how wonderfully beautiful he must have been as a pup - especially with his one blue and one brown/green eyes. That certainly must have been striking in such a small puppy. But most of all, I wish that I could have spared him the hell he went through and brought him up with nothing but love, firm guidance and wonder. I really think the bond that Koda has to me wouldnt have been the same had I adopted him at his current age. I am his world and all he has ever known. But then again, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that Zakky knows what love is finally and is thankful to be in such a loving place with a human that would give up the world for him.

Ryan

Who doesn't love puppies??? As much of a headache as it has been raising Jade, and despite wishing her to grow through her puppy time quickly, I don't think I would ever get a dog that wasn't a puppy. I am too particular- I wouldn't get anything but a 7 or 8ish week puppy so that I could know its history, and there wouldn't be any behavioral surprises. I would know everything about the dog, and know exactly how it grew up. I could teach the pup what I want it to know, and how to behave properly. That's just my opinion though.

Besides... how cyyooot is this?? :rolleyes:

2597849502_8f680bf51b.jpg

I decided to get a puppy because I've never raised one before. My original BC I got when I was 7 years old, so the raising-a-puppy part was all my parents work. My second dog I got from the shelter at around 10 months of age, and he was a terror on four legs for about two years. He just had such a terrible history of abuse and neglect that it was very difficult for me to raise him. He still has his issues and quirks, but I accept them for what they are.

Now that I'm in my early 20's I decided I wanted a puppy, and even though I tried to read and prepare myself for it - Nova is a bundle of craziness of four little paws! She's a good natured puppy, but she just gets into trouble all the time. I absolutely love the puppy cuteness, and the fact that I get to socialize her early on and let her experience many good things in her young age. I got a puppy though, wanting an adult dog one day. Right now I'm a bit impatient wanting her to grow older so I can do more with her, take her more places... but I know I will miss the puppy silliness once she grows up. It's a bit of a trade-off, Lol.

I'm just enjoying the ride while it lasts, and one day she'll be a trained adult dog. =)

Koda006.jpg

Ohhh the puppy eyes! They get you to do ANYTHING!!! You have no will against them....

Puppies??.... Did some one say Puppies!?

Here are a couple of pics of the little turds that are rearranging my house as we speak. Give me a six month old pup over a six week old pup any day! :rolleyes:

post-7917-1214407140_thumb.jpg

post-7917-1214406748_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the little turds that are rearranging my house as we speak

I bet it's easy to forgive them... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't get anything but a 7 or 8ish week puppy so that I could know its history, and there wouldn't be any behavioral surprises.

I've already identified myself as not part of the Puppy Contingent (though my last 5 dogs came to me as puppies) but here goes anyway. Personally, I do not find getting a puppy to be a reliable indication of what the final temperament will be. To me, puppies are much more of a crapshoot, to be honest. I've seen a number of puppies who as they matured showed behaviors and traits that would not be something I'd want in a dog. Despite extensive socialization and training plus being a nicely mannered puppy, my Lhasa grew into a dog I must supervise and manage very closely around people he doesn't know and other dogs. Sure part of that is just him being a Lhasa but other dogs I've known became spooky, aggressive, resource guarding, or neurotic as teens or young adults. That isn't always the case, of course, but it sure isn't uncommon.

For the most part, Quinn has stayed true to what I saw in him as a puppy and this has made him the perfect Border Collie for me. However as he turns three, I'm noticing an increasing sensitivity to noises when we're outside. Nothing phobic so far, but nothing I like and nothing he showed until just recently.

As for bonding, of the two dogs I bonded most to in my life, one was an abused rescue we adopted at age 9 - 10 months and the other came to live with me at 7 weeks old. The thing I like best about puppies is being able to teach them things like bite inhibition, giving up items easily, being cool about nail cutting and other grooming, etc. But if you get an adult dog with the right temperament, none of those things are going to be significant issues anyway.

Hmmm, I miss the "puppy" Ceana only when she was asleep. She was hell on paws as a pup... and Chris even took a couple months off work to stay home with her! I wish I had Poke as a pup purely because so many of his "issues," could have been easily prevented had he not been a stray. (**By the way Poke sniffed a KITTY last night instead of trying to eat it... HOORAY!)

I do enjoy the learning aspect of puppies, but I feel that way about children too. There is just something amazing about watching their little brains tackle a situation for the first time. It tells you a lot about their thought process. Other than sleeping and learning, I don't miss it. I think Dogs are much more fun older, but then again Miss Twist the foster is 3 months old and giving me my fill of puppies today.

I think I should take out stock in carpet cleaner. At least I enjoy watching the pup "get" potty training... Chris can't stand it. I would never want a dog to stay a puppy forever, I think I would have to be locked up. Growing up is a reward for a job well done. :rolleyes:

I personally, think its the time of my life trying to raise a puppy. I got Joy when she was 8 weeks and managed to raise her into a reasonably well behaved *cough cough* adult. One of the most rewarding things for me was looking at pictures and videos from when she was a puppy, and comparing them currents. Its amazing how much you as an owner, can impact growing up.

I love Joy as a more mature doggy, but I miss her as a little, pudgy puppy :rolleyes: It's always amazing looking at a timeline of your puppies:

when we first got her around Xmas:

joysnow.jpg

6-8 months:

JoySplashSlightBlur.jpg

JoyComingOutFromLake.jpg

Current:

P6250006.jpg

th_P6260013.jpg

P6260014.jpg