BC Boards

BC dislikes heeling off lead

Hi all,

I have a question and need some help. I have a 2.5 year old Border Collie who is now trialling in open obedience. The trouble is she doesn't seem to like the heeling off lead, and lags badly, almost to the point of stopping, but she does sit, drop and stand, although way back behind. She is a very happy active dog, and in training she works like a champion but as soon as we get in that ring, she changes. She does all the other exercises ok eg dumbell, drop on re-call and stays etc but its just that heelwork. As I can't talk to her in a trial or use food as an incentive, what can I do? I walk at a brisk pace and try to razz her up before we get in the ring. I'm at a loss. Agility, however with her is not a problem! She has got one leg in, albeit she scraped in by one point -171. Could someone please shed some light for me, it would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

Could be that obedience just isnt her cup of tea but she does it to please you, where as on the other hand agility is a lot of fun to her. Some dogs are like that, try laying off obed trialing/training for a bit do agility let her have fun. Then come back to the obedience see how she reacts, if she's still not having fun in obed then perhaps its time to retire from it.

One, are you sure you are training the same way as trialing? By that I mean, are you sure you do not talk to her more at home because you can? May give her extra help with the lead etc? A video camera (or another human as a spotter) can help you detect small things you may be doing in training that you are not aware off. Bodyposture, tone of voice, cues etc.

Two, is there any chance that you are nervous at trial? That maybe this is a sign of avoidance? Again, a camera or a human could help you maybe detect anything you may not be aware off.

Hi all,

I have a question and need some help. I have a 2.5 year old Border Collie who is now trialling in open obedience. The trouble is she doesn't seem to like the heeling off lead, and lags badly, almost to the point of stopping, but she does sit, drop and stand, although way back behind. She is a very happy active dog, and in training she works like a champion but as soon as we get in that ring, she changes. She does all the other exercises ok eg dumbell, drop on re-call and stays etc but its just that heelwork. As I can't talk to her in a trial or use food as an incentive, what can I do? I walk at a brisk pace and try to razz her up before we get in the ring. I'm at a loss. Agility, however with her is not a problem! She has got one leg in, albeit she scraped in by one point -171. Could someone please shed some light for me, it would be much appreciated. :rolleyes:

Hi,

One possibility is that you change once you get into the ring.....Outside the ring a lot of times the handler is animated and chatty, lots of cookies/toys....Steps into the ring and the handler becomes very formal, no talk, serious face, no cookies/toys, nervous.....You get the idea! The dog things aliens have abducted it's mom-LOL!

Another possibility is the dog hasn't been weaned off the motivators properly. In training, lots of cookies used to bribe instead of reward a job well done....The dog isn't expected to be responsible for doing his part of the job. He thinks, 'no treats, no work' instead of 'will work for food'....

If you haven't had anyone videotape you in training and in the ring at a trial, you should do it....It can be really interesting watching how different we act in the ring.

Hope this helps~

Janet

Hi all,

If she's lagging put the leash in front of you, across your belly- mines big enough so I don't have to tighten up much -LOL. Then you hold it on your right side. Leave enough room for a quick correction and keep at a brisk pace as it sounds like she's getting bored with heeling. Usher is so quick to please he anticipates the stop.

When you are in the ring, are you nervous? That might be the reason that she is slowing down. Have you tried letting her watch other dogs? I didn't as mine got too hyper. But with yours, you might want to let her watch to get her excited to do her job! Also, don't forget your high pitched voice- I couldn't do that with Miss Lacey, but I have to with Usher. "Usher come" in my squeaky voice. For stay and down commands, its a low voice without a name. Down....grrr LOL. Hope that helps.

Dianne