BC Boards

Ive only recently come into the public with my ramblings, and am not so sure it will remain public, as there is so much griping about blogs in general, that I dont like the feeling of being graded or judged as to whether it is "Good enough" to be out there. I still remain firm however on how I feel about the folks that think they can or should be judge and jury. Theres really just no reason for folks to be uptight about it. Its just a blog.

Ummm yes, thanks for illustrating my point about slaying imaginary dragons. The only person who judged your blog and potentially put it in a negative category was ... you! Mary didn't single anyone out, so why certain people feel it was directed at them is really an interesting psychological question that can only be answered by those individuals.

I certainly didn't leap to the immediate conclusion that she was talking about me, for example - and she very well may have been! It's just a blog. I don't get all uptight about it. That's why I find this entire topic staggeringly ironic :rolleyes:

Bill - the anti-blog blogger's slogan is: "If you don't have anything nice to say, say it in a blog."

post-376-1212499795_thumb.jpg

RDM

Mary didn't single anyone out, so why certain people feel it was directed at them is really an interesting psychological question...

I couldn't single anyone out, because I haven't read the blog of anyone in this forum. I have glanced at "Three Woofs and a Woo" a couple times, and enjoyed it. Nice pictures. Is that RDM? Outside of that, I can't say who in this forum has a blog, and I sure as heck can't say what it's about, or how it reads. Yeesh, though, could I tell you about my sister's friend's love-engagement-marriage blog. Lord help us when she's pregnant.

As far as whether people should read blogs with a critical eye... well, that's how we look at all public works: books, movies, artwork, plays, YouTube videos. I see bloggers as writers, and blogging as a form of self-publishing. So I judge blogs by the same standards I'd use for any written medium. If there are graphics, I judge the graphics, too: inventive, catchy, distracting, loud.

I could paint landscapes out in my garden, and love the work I made, and judge my own art with wildly positive acclaim. But as soon as I decided to hang my work in a public gallery, I would be inviting strangers to look at and evaluate my paintings. Some might like my work, and others might hate it - but I would have lost the right to hide it from any kind of evaluation or critique.

I guess it seems like a conflict to me: to want to post your words for the whole world to read, but at the same time to want freedom from any kind of evaluation of those words.

Mary

I guess it seems like a conflict to me: to want to post your words for the whole world to read, but at the same time to want freedom from any kind of evaluation of those words.

Mary

I think that people often protest to generalities. I do myself, often. I am happy to be evaluated when in the public eye, but I want folks to be specific.

Say someone said, "most people have no business growing roses." Even though I don't know if you've ever seen my roses, I might immediately see them in my mind and think, "What standard is she judging by? Am I being lumped into that category? Am I one of those most people?" And I might say, "Hey! Anyone who wants to grow roses has a right to do so. If you don't like my roses, you don't have to look at them." I'm responding more to being possibly being lumped into the ambiguous "most people" than I am to evaluation.

Whereas, if the statement were, "people who aren't going to water them shouldn't grow roses", then I know I'm not being lumped into that category.

Now, on the other hand, if you are at my home and you see my rather shredded looking roses and you suggest a certain spray to keep the gypsy moth caterpillars from eating them, that's another story. That's evaluation that I would welcome because you are acknowledging a specific issue. I may or may not spray them, but I am not going to take any offense at the suggestion.

I think this happens a lot on the internet and I know I get squiffy when general statement are made sometimes.

I think that people often protest to generalities.

... Now, on the other hand, if you are at my home and you see my rather shredded looking roses and you suggest a certain spray to keep the gypsy moth caterpillars from eating them, that's another story. That's evaluation that I would welcome because you are acknowledging a specific issue. I may or may not spray them, but I am not going to take any offense at the suggestion.

Yeah, I can see that: the specifics vs. generalities thing.

BUT... I'd bet a lot of money that my general statement about blogs in theory got me into much less trouble than a specific critique of any one specific blog would have. I used to post in a writing forum, where people posted their work specifically for the purpose of getting feedback. All too often, the feedback wasn't entirely positive: for example, "Your refusal to use capital letters makes it hard for me to read your work." BOOM! Flame war, sock puppets, breakaway subcultures.

While you, Kristine, might handle construtive criticism well and maturely, my experience has taught me that that's a rare trait on the 'net. :rolleyes:

Mary

I never thought you were talking about my blog in particular, Mary, and I definitely didn't think I was being personally critiqued. I was just defending the rights of actual and would-be bloggers in general. I think this conversation has branched off in many directions: should people be encouraged to write tedious blogs? Poorly written blogs? Personal blogs? My feeling, which probably at least partially stems from my experience as an editor and writer in more traditional formats, is that I hate to see people discouraged from harmless writing in any form. So I'll stand up for that. I never called you snarky, Mary—I just thought what you wrote in that post was a bit snipy, as you were essentially ridiculing people for daring to think their thoughts might be Important. I suppose I may have overreacted, but to me it sounded like you were stifling the creativity of others because you personally couldn't appreciate it. Of course there are a lot of blogs that are very mundane, but I cringe at the thought that people might feel they should stifle their voices out of fear that others won't think what they have to say is important enough.

Meh. I'm sorry if I'm taking this too seriously (I take everything too seriously), but it's a topic that's sort of near and dear to my heart.

That's why I find this entire topic staggeringly ironic

RDM. After reading everything all over agin, and thinking about it, I think your right, it is rather ironic. Frankly, Im kinda giggling about it at this point. I do think there have been some very good and eloquently put, points made and I appreciate those that have a better handle on the use of the English language . But I think its time to laugh at myself now. :rolleyes::D

Do you all have a website/blog builder you recommend? I"ve been toying with at least building a website, possibly with a blog attached but don't want to pay (or pay very much) and am computer/time limited so need something E-A-S-Y.

I use Blogger. It's dead easy and free.

Me too - and I am an internet idiot, so if I can use it, anyone can.

If you just want a web page and don't mind ads, squidoo is free and has lots of tools. It's set up to blather a bit about whatever, throw in some pictures and link lists, and call it good. I use it for advertising.

Wordpress is another example of free blogging software that people seem to like.

Honestly, I haven't read this whole topic but I know there was talk of blogs and correct grammar and such. Well, for anyone who is interested I'll post my blog but be warned, (as you can probably tell from my posts) I'm not big on absolutely correct grammar unless it's a formal letter or email, or a paper I'm handing in for a grade. Over the internet I talk very casually, which for me means informal writing and lots of "..." 's and not exactly A-grade writing when it comes to grammar. With that warning, and this one: My blog is basically just kind of a day to day about River and I'm just an average college student who doesn't really compete in any competitions or anything (yet) so it may be a little boring. Anyway, here it is for anyone who is interested:

http://leapyeardog.blogspot.com/

I actually have one of those Livejournal blogs. And, I treat it just like a journal. I have been for the past 5-6 years. I have a network of friends who do the same, in varying degrees, and we all keep in touch with each other's lives--though we live so far apart. These are people I go to for advice and comfort, and whose lives I like being updated on.

I started my Borderline Humans blog because I LOVE posting pictures of my critters, and they were simply clogging up my LJ...to the point it was a bit irritating to those on my buddy list to upload them constantly, particularly if they had dial-up. I still post the occasional pic in my LJ, but not so much anymore. My LJ is for me. I write in it when I need to just 'get it out' and vent a little, or perhaps I wanted to preserve a memory so I may return and visit it at a later date. My LJ identity is very selectively handed out, too.

So, my little Borderline Humans blog is more of a photo album of sorts, I guess...