BC Boards

Lap Dog?

Lately my shelter boy has been getting more and more loving every day. He was rather aloof at first (and still is to others in my family) but has just become such a loving boy to me. Dont get me wrong, he likes a scratch from my family but never sticks around for more than 10 seconds. But from me he is craving hugs and lots of close time lately and I think its absolutely wonderful!...We are positive that the poor boy was abused at some point in his life so this is really nice to see.

In all of this increasing lovableness he has decided over the last week that the computer chair is as good as any place to be on dad's lap. It starts with the front paws and a head leaning into my body (doggy hugs :D ) and its followed up after he gets some love by his back legs climbing into my lap. With Koda its bad enough since he will probably max out around a lean 35-40 lbs. Zak on the other hand weighs at least a lean 50 :rolleyes: Anyone else with a 50 lbs lap dog? Maybe he thinks he is one of the chihuauas?

We got a photo of him doing this tonight:

50lbslapdog.jpg

And it's pretty obvious that Dad is not enjoying that one bit, right?

Makes me think of my hubby back in the days not too long ago when animals were not allowed on the furniture or bed. "She's not on the couch/bed/whatever - she's on me!" We don't even keep up the pretense any more concerning keeping them off the furniture...

And it's pretty obvious that Dad is not enjoying that one bit, right?

Makes me think of my hubby back in the days not too long ago when animals were not allowed on the furniture or bed. "She's not on the couch/bed/whatever - she's on me!" We don't even keep up the pretense any more concerning keeping them off the furniture...

Is that a smile on my face?...No really, thats not a smile on my face :D Yeah, I love hugs from my pups more than anything :rolleyes: Nothing like a mutltiple smothering in black and white fur on a daily basis; even if its being squished on the computer chair.

My wife lets the chihuahuas on the furniture but wasnt as keen on the BCs being up there because of their size and potential snags from the claws. The bed is okay though. I have nice "fashionable" blankets on the couch and seat now to solve the issue and keep her happy. But even so, whats she gonna do?...send me to the dog house? OOOOOOH, such punishment :D

What a sweet picture. :D Good for you for getting him out of the shelter and into a lap where he belongs. :D

The lapdog at my house is my 65 lb LGD/BC cross, Scot. My lap is the one place he's safe from having his long fluffy tail pulled by Faith BC, who's Scot's BFF but plays kind of rough. Often when I'm sitting on the couch, watching the ball game, Scot will take a flying leap, clear the coffee table, and come in for a perfect lap-landing. Oooof. :rolleyes:

I'll have to get DH to take a picture. :D

Is that a smile on my face?...No really, thats not a smile on my face :D Yeah, I love hugs from my pups more than anything :D Nothing like a mutltiple smothering in black and white fur on a daily basis; even if its being squished on the computer chair.

My wife lets the chihuahuas on the furniture but wasnt as keen on the BCs being up there because of their size and potential snags from the claws. The bed is okay though. I have nice "fashionable" blankets on the couch and seat now to solve the issue and keep her happy. But even so, whats she gonna do?...send me to the dog house? OOOOOOH, such punishment :D

I like your way of thinking, probably because it mirrors my own thoughts :D How's this for smothering?

dogsonthebed.jpg

dogsonthebed3.jpg

As for lap dogs, the ones that climb on my lap if I'm sitting on the couch or in the armchair watching TV can include Rain (45 pounds), Flurry-pup ( over 47 pounds and still gaining every day), Lightning (64 pounds) and Noah (93pounds!) Noah doesn't actually climb right up, he just likes to back into you until he's got his butt in your lap, looking for a backscratch. Lightning gets all weird if I'm watching Animal Planet and there's any kind of animal rescue show on. He climbs all over me and shoves his way behind me to hide. Though most of my dogs have been rescue/shelter dogs he's not one of them so I don't know why the sights/sounds on those shows bother him so much. Would have thought maybe it brought up bad memories if he came from a shelter but that's not the case with him. :rolleyes:

Nice to see the shelter pups coming out of their shell isn't it? One of my others (Flash) is still becoming more loving and trusting all the time, I'm still seeing changes in him and I've had him for 2 years now, from the time he was only about 3 months old. Even friends keep commenting on the difference they can see in him.

What a sweet picture. :D Good for you for getting him out of the shelter and into a lap where he belongs. :D

Often when I'm sitting on the couch, watching the ball game, Scot will take a flying leap, clear the coffee table, and come in for a perfect lap-landing. Oooof. :rolleyes:

I'll have to get DH to take a picture. :D

Thanks for the compliment and I agree - out of the shelter and into my lap :D He is a sweet boy and you can see such gentleness in his eyes. Hes happy now and so am I to have him. I would love to see a picture of Scot taking his flying leap - it would be best in mid-air...LOL.

I like your way of thinking, probably because it mirrors my own thoughts :D How's this for smothering?

dogsonthebed3.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh, heaven on earth :D

Yep...I got one thats about 55 lbs. that doesn't know he's really tooooo big for my lap too(seriously I need about 2 laps for him to fit), but I digress. I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's just something about a big ole fur baby in the lap that is comforting!!! :rolleyes::D

Yup, I have a 45 lb. lap dog too. He loves to jump up on me when I least expect it :rolleyes: I love doggie hugs though. They sure can show you how much they love you. They are so sweet, aren't they? :D

Scooter likes to do the surprise lap attack, all 55# of him, then plants lots of slobbery kisses on my face and neck. The bony elbows are killers, but I can't imagine life without him now. Funny how they have a way of making the rest of the day go away. I should have named him Prozac! LOL! :rolleyes:

That is great that he is becoming more attached to you!

Daisy is 48lbs and frequents my lap or more generally anywhere on me. She really likes it when I am trying to read. The bony elbows do really suck since I'm quite bony myself, but she usually finds the exact right spot and seems to melt into my body. It's really quite comforting somedays!

Yesterday he decided that since he has been in my lap numerous times that it was okay to just bypass the creep up and get into my lap. It wasnt a superman leap over a coffee table like Painted Ponies pup does, but he jumped into my lap when I wasnt expecting it.

I was browsing different training techniques on the web while focused on the screen and giving Zak scratches as he sat beside me. Next thing I know, he went from sitting to flying over the chair arm and landed in my lap in a sit :rolleyes: . If you look at the original photo you can see the chair arm that he jumped over. Not that its high but the weight coming down gave me a good "ooomf." He then decided to keep his butt planted and lean all of his weight into me for some hugs.

After all that this boy has been through and the fact he just wants to give some love, who could turn him away? I gave him hugs for a few minutes and he was good with that. I put him on the floor and he grabbed a bone and layed back down beside me like a good boy.

I really think the time spent training him has made all of the difference in the world and has allowed him to bond. Im quite firm with the hard head but when he does right he is LAVISHED with love and excited praise. All of that positive attention just makes him feel SOOO good and seeing that happy face with a light in his eyes makes me love him even more.

I swear dogs are such a blessing :D