BC Boards

Puppy Mill Pet Store Confrontation

Koda and I went out for the day and did some pet store hopping. Its our way to spend some time together and have him be exposed to a lot of people and other dogs.

We ended up visiting a pet store we had never been to before called, "Uncle Bill's" which is apparently a chain. I was disgusted immediately after entering as it was dirty, had help that looked like the bottom of the barrel and had a three tier setup full of puppies that looked terrible. You could tell that many of them were not well and their fur was stained horribly from lying in feces daily.

I asked for the manager and told her that the one in the corner was cute as a button and would make my Koda here a good friend. She of course turned on the charm but I stopped her and asked where they got the puppies from? She said the rehearsed lie of, "from independent and reputable breeders." I then said I would buy her but wanted to see her papers and breeder information. She said they didnt have that information.

Okay, so I intentionally said loud enough without yelling that she was lying and that no independent and reputable breeder would sell to a pet store as they cared enough to know where their dogs were going and ensured it was a suitable home. I then unloaded (in front of everyone looking at puppies now with their full attention to the situation) about how almost all of the puppies looked sick with one issue or another because they came from puppy mills, spouting off what they were and the deplorable conditions. I was asked to leave the store at this point. I decided to finish my rant by stating that they were all stained with feces and anyone wanting to buy a puppy here should be able to have a look at the back room first which was probably disgusting. I went on stating that they (the buyers in the store) should require proof that the store DID have to have by law about their origins which would undoubtedly show that they came from a broker that imported them from out of state. I also stated that everyone looking at puppies should go home and look up puppy mills and the fact that ALL stores that sell puppies, aside from shelter hosting adoptions, were buying them from puppy mills. She again told me to leave and I obliged.

As I took Koda to the car and sat there for a minute I noticed many of the people that were looking at the dogs were also leaving the store behind me.

Mission accomplished. And since I wasnt screaming at her but matter of factly stating the facts, I feel it was worth while to have deterred a few people from purchasing there. Made me feel good and I praised Koda for being my co-pilot. We then went and got some cheeseburgers and Koda got his own cheese only single thats full of meaty and cheezzzzy goodness :rolleyes:

Ryan

That's great. Good for you. I have done things like that before in a pet store in Casper. Except most of the people that hear me don't leave after me :rolleyes: Although I have never been asked to leave yet :D

Contact your state's Ag and Markets, DOH, and the USDA. Unacceptable on every level. Also, don't bring your dog into places like that- they are hot beds of infection.

Ryan, take up the cause. This sort of thing goes on everywhere. Contact the SPCA, work with them, help them volunteer some time. Dig into it deeper, you will be shocked. KG is right, do not take your dogs in stores like that.

Way to go. We got both our Labs from pet stores. Not my choice. Elwood came from Pet Depot, who got him locally and had all the breeder info. He came down with Kennel Cough the first week, but healthy other than that. Ozzy came from Maxie Biggs, complete with Parvo. When Jackie and Joe got him he was in a cage he could barely stand up in. Two days later he was sick with Parvo. Thank God he survived. Maxie Biggs paid his vet bill, after first giving us the wrong information to go about this. They did refuse to pay for Elwood and Alex's boosters that were not due for 6 months. They felt that wasn't their fault.

Turns out that at least one more puppy from there had Parvo. They closed about a month later. All their dogs came from the midwest and we live in New York.

I call Alex my bargain pup. Got her from a couple who has only 2 healthy, active, and happy BC's. Got to meet mom and dad BC. And the couple asked me questions to find out whether I was good enough to purchase one of their pups. And she cost a whole lot less than the Labs.

Esox

Contact your state's Ag and Markets, DOH, and the USDA. Unacceptable on every level. Also, don't bring your dog into places like that- they are hot beds of infection.

I plan on doing some contacting as I was disgusted at the condition of the dogs. I didnt know the conditions in the store when I entered and wont be taking Koda or Zak back to a place like that. If I had known in the first place I wouldnt have entered with Koda. BUT, since I was there I just got this welling up of anger and had to say something. I came around the corner, saw the dogs and my jaw just dropped. Not because they were there but because almost every one of them looked ill. I did make sure to keep Koda's nose off the floor and we were there probably only 5 minutes. It all happened pretty quickly.

Ryan, take up the cause. This sort of thing goes on everywhere. Contact the SPCA, work with them, help them volunteer some time. Dig into it deeper, you will be shocked. KG is right, do not take your dogs in stores like that.

Unfortunately I know that it does go on everywhere but this is the first store I have been to in my area that I have actually seen dogs for sale - other than my regular Pet Supplies Plus, Petsmart and Petco that do foster adoption days with shelters. I am actually quite aware of puppy mills and have done ALOT of personal research through the web on the subject - its horrible. I think due to the fact that I have been gathering info and material over the last few weeks for a new video just really had me on the edge about it. I dont have a lot of time to be involved with the cause (or anything else for that matter) but I do make videos to spread the word and have friends in the cause who use the videos. As an example, I made a video on Euthenasia about three weeks ago and it already has had about 1100 hits. If it impacts or educates one in 1000 it was worth the time and trouble.

I came home and told my wife what had happened and she just laughed that I got kicked out but was happy that I did it. I told her to NEVER go in there again unless she was planning on getting kicked out herself :rolleyes:

Way to go. We got both our Labs from pet stores. Not my choice. Elwood came from Pet Depot, who got him locally and had all the breeder info. He came down with Kennel Cough the first week, but healthy other than that. Ozzy came from Maxie Biggs, complete with Parvo. When Jackie and Joe got him he was in a cage he could barely stand up in. Two days later he was sick with Parvo. Thank God he survived. Maxie Biggs paid his vet bill, after first giving us the wrong information to go about this. They did refuse to pay for Elwood and Alex's boosters that were not due for 6 months. They felt that wasn't their fault.

Turns out that at least one more puppy from there had Parvo. They closed about a month later. All their dogs came from the midwest and we live in New York.

I call Alex my bargain pup. Got her from a couple who has only 2 healthy, active, and happy BC's. Got to meet mom and dad BC. And the couple asked me questions to find out whether I was good enough to purchase one of their pups. And she cost a whole lot less than the Labs.

Esox

Good work on Alex and great advise. I tell people to get their dogs from a breeder and do not buy a puppy without knowing the parents and the environment they have come from. Much more work than going to a pet store but a much better way to go. I know every detail about my dogs, grand parents, parents etc. My very first BC came from a breeder who questioned us about our motvations and the care and home we could provide for our dog. He charged us 200 bucks and has since become a good friend.

I know every detail about my dogs, grand parents, parents etc. My very first BC came from a breeder who questioned us about our motvations and the care and home we could provide for our dog. He charged us 200 bucks and has since become a good friend.

Good for you. This is responsible ownership and good investigative work. I too know the details of my pups although I only knew the parents of Koda when I went to purchase him - and they are WONDERFUL dogs. I now have tons of info on his parents and grandparents, who owns them and where they are from. The owner of Koda's parents has been wonderful (she is SUCH a nice lady) in providing such information and is sending me pictures of all of his relatives although I already have a few. We are going to make a wonderful set of photos done in custom frames and double matted for all of our dogs and Koda will have his own family tree in photos :rolleyes:

Here is Koda's daddy on sheep just for kicks:

TakOnSheepFullSize.jpg