BC Boards

Contact Trainer

Has anyone had experience building a contact trainer? I would like to try to build one myself, but the ones I see online have welded frames, which of course I can't do :rolleyes: I would like to build a sturdy one since Dave is a big 50lbs bc, so I don't know if the PVC base ones would be strong enough. I have just joined the yahoo agility equipment group, but am awaiting approval. So I thought I would check here to see if anyone has made one, and has any suggestions.

Thanks!

I can't help you Dinah, but if you get some good ideas, I'd love to hear them. It became painfully obvious this past weekend that Charlie and I need to work on his contacts. He used to have them down quite well and now they've really been slipping lately.

I can't help you Dinah, but if you get some good ideas, I'd love to hear them. It became painfully obvious this past weekend that Charlie and I need to work on his contacts. He used to have them down quite well and now they've really been slipping lately.

I made one, but rarely use it. It is similar to the Barb Davis sells. Do you have Susan Garrett's Shaping Success? She trains contacts using stairs. If you have a solid "target" behavior, taking it to obstacles is easy.

If you have a solid "target" behavior, taking it to obstacles is easy.

He had a pretty solid "target" until I stopped feeding him for hitting the target. Now when I tell him to target as he's taking a contact obstacle, he slows down or stops on the way down as if he's waiting for me to load the target plate. If I don't tell him to "target" then he'll just shoot right off the obstacle and miss the contact altogether. Our contacts are the one thing that are really not going well right now, which is frustrating because they didn't used to be a problem.

He had a pretty solid "target" until I stopped feeding him for hitting the target. Now when I tell him to target as he's taking a contact obstacle, he slows down or stops on the way down as if he's waiting for me to load the target plate. If I don't tell him to "target" then he'll just shoot right off the obstacle and miss the contact altogether. Our contacts are the one thing that are really not going well right now, which is frustrating because they didn't used to be a problem.

I think you need to build the drive to the "target" separately from speed over the contact obstacle. Making being at the bottom of the obstacle the best place in the world.

BTW, I taught my first BC 1RTO targeting and really like it. I don't care much for the stopping with the nose down. If done right, it's okay, but it's hard to train it right. My next competition dog is a little pocket rocket. I think I'm going to do running contacts with her.

I have some thoughts on this, Mary. I don't have time right now, but I'll get back to it later tonight.

Ok, here's what I'm thinking, if it's any help at all...

It sounds like originally you must have put food on the target first, to get him into the target position? Put the treat on the target and then send him over? The way I taught Alex was not to lure him into the target position by having the food down first, but rather to give him the food after he touches the target as a reward. Essentially teaching him the behavior of touching the target, with a treat when he did it right. I'm not much of a clicker person, but I used the clicker for this, and I taught it away from the contact obstacles. I got him running to the target and giving me a nose touch, then I took the target to the equipment. Next I started varying the reward, so he never knew if one was coming or not (see how this differs from the dog seeing if the food is lying on the target or not) Finally, I phased out the target itself, so now I can say "target" and he'll give me a nose touch to the ground.

My apologies if this is already what you're you're doing...it's just what worked for us. :rolleyes:

And as for a contact trainer, I've known people who just taught it all on the flat, just using a painted board to teach 2 on 2 off. I practiced at home using my teeter board, but flat on the ground.

And as for a contact trainer, I've known people who just taught it all on the flat, just using a painted board to teach 2 on 2 off. I practiced at home using my teeter board, but flat on the ground.

I've found that I cannot get my dogs to keep all four paws on a flat board on the ground, so what I've done for contact practice is to prop the board up on one of those kitchen step-stools. That keeps it low enough that the dog can step right on the "high side", and falling off is not an issue, but it's high enough that it makes sense to my dogs to keep their paws on it, and they learn to nose touch at the "bottom".

I'll run it to the floor from the arm of the sofa once the dog learns the behavior. Dean loves to jump up on the sofa and practice his contacts on the board propped up on the arm.

Mary - I will let you know what I find. My FIL is retired now and likes to build things. So I asked him if he could put a contact trainer on his list of things to build :rolleyes: I sent him pictures, so I will see what he says. He built us a really nice coffee table, so I know he has the skills :D

Dave is really good on contacts, he drives to the bottom! Riley on the other hand is not so good. I think it is just the differences between the two instructors (I had different ones for Dave and Riley), plus Riley is just Riley, lol :D I would like to have something that I can work with her daily, since she can't take long training sessions.

Recently, I built a small contact trainer. I'll get pics when I get a chance. I took 2 12" x 4' planks and put door hinges in between so it can be folded up. I also put eye hooks on the bottom and attached 2 pieces of chain (like on an A frame) to ajust the height. I only use it for contact training, no running across it like a real obstical. We're training the 2o2o method with target training. The target training needs to be taught seperately from the trainer and then incorperate it.

The trainer only cost about $10 to build. The planks were pre cut at home depot and the only tool needed was a screwdriver for the hinges. Lucia is 45lbs and it holds up well for her.

I made a nice target trainer thingy, painted it up and everything

Ben really seems to have got it on the dogwalk and does it perfect every time

but he cant figure the A frame is supposed to be the same behaviour!!

I made a nice target trainer thingy, painted it up and everything

Ben really seems to have got it on the dogwalk and does it perfect every time

but he cant figure the A frame is supposed to be the same behaviour!!

It may be because the A-Frame is steeper. I found that I needed to raise my contact training board to a comparable "steepness" before Dean generalized the behavior to the A-Frame.

I also use a verbal cue (bottom) to help reframe the A-Frame for him into something that he understands.