BC Boards

Need Help - He won't clear up

aBC4me

I know that Blaze got into something, I just don't know what. This is the worst case of the runs that he has ever had and I have been doing some research on it and can pretty confidently say that it is the large intestine's not the small. He also yesterday, twice, threw up a small amount of clear liquid.

It started on Friday and has not stopped.

Saturday morning I awoke to 6 seperate piles of runs in my dining room.

Sunday it was 11 seperate piles.

Last night we locked back up in crate and he woke us up at 12:30 and again at 4pm to go out.

This morning he went at 7:15 and again at 8:00 and yet again at 10:30.

Yesterday I hed him 3 scrambled eggs at about 11:00am and then again at 5:30.

I also have been giving him ice cubes to try and help keep him hydrated. I bought him some pedialite as well but he not interested.

Tonight I am going to try chicken and rice.

FYI - I took him in on Saturday to the vet for a fecal and it came back negative.

Please does anyone have any other suggestions. He is really bad off.

Okay so you don't think I should feed him at all tonight, and slowly do the chicken and rice over the next couple of days?

Are we talking like

Tues- 1/4 cup

Wed-1/2 cup

Thur-3/4 cup

Friday 1 cup

and then slowly start bringing his cereal back into the diet?

I am sorry, I am almost in tears for him, I feel TERRIBLE because he isn't getting better and it is a burnt orange kind of color. I don't know if that is because of what is in his stomach or if it is because of what he go into.

I just want him better.

Yes, nothing starting now for 24 hours. Then, tomorrow afternoon offer him some white rice/chicken broth, perhaps a 1/2 cup, and see if he still has the squirts. Hopefully he won't. Then, later in the day another 1/2 cup. That burnt orange color- has me thinking bug... In any case NPO (nothing by mouth) for 24 hours. This is what we do for kids too. The gut needs time to heal.

I agree with Kelpue girl - give his gut a rest for 24 hours and give it a chance to heal. I would then start on a little brown rice cooked in chicken broth (the husk in brown rice feeds the gut cells). You can put a little boiled or roast chicken breast in it - not fat or skin.Here we can get a canned food called prescription that is chicken and rice for exactly this problem. Feed little and often.

Test for dehydration by pinching his neck skin. If it goes back into shape the dog is alright. If it stays pinched he is dehydrated and need to see a vet as he may have to go on a drip.

Hope he recovers soon.

I agree with Kelpi8e girl - give his gut a rest for 24 hours and give it a chance to heal. I would then start on a little brown rice cooked in chicken broth (the husk in brown rice feeds the gut cells). You can put a little boiled or roast chicken breast in it - not fat or skin.Here we can get a canned food called prescription that is chicken and rice for exactly this problem. Feed little and often.

Test for dehydration by pinching his neck skin. If it goes back into shape the dog is alright. If it stays pinched he is dehydrated and need to see a vet as he may have to go on a drip.

Hope he recovers soon.

There's a nasty stomach virus that is going around that has required IV fluid treatment in some dogs, especially young and old dogs. If this goes on through tomorrow, or he starts acting funny, I'd get him to a vet.

There's a nasty stomach virus that is going around that has required IV fluid treatment in some dogs, especially young and old dogs. If this goes on through tomorrow, or he starts acting funny, I'd get him to a vet.

Make sure he is getting plenty of fluids. I often get pedialyte for children and I give them a tablespoon every half hour or so for the first 12 hours, and then see how they are doing. ALso, I will give slippery elm bark to help heal the digestive tract, and depending how severe the diarhea is, I wll keep them off food for up to 48 hours..

Thank you all soo much for your help with this. My husband is on his way home right now and is going to try the neck test.

I was thinking tonight I will give him a mixture of half water half chicken broth. (I may get yelled at here but I am still going to ask the question since I don't know the answer) Can I give him swanson's or some other over the counter chicken broth.

Do we know anymore about it?

Is is possible that he has pancreatitis??? If so, you absolutely don't want to give him any food or water. I have to say I'm a bit paranoid about pancreatitis because I almost lost my little schnauzer. All along I thought he was just upset about being kenneled while we were moving. I'd check with the vet again.

Is is possible that he has pancreatitis??? If so, you absolutely don't want to give him any food or water. I have to say I'm a bit paranoid about pancreatitis because I almost lost my little schnauzer. All along I thought he was just upset about being kenneled while we were moving. I'd check with the vet again.

How would I check for this, what signs would there be? How would I know the difference?

No he only vomited the one time yesterday. My DH is taking him to the vet as soon as he gets done cleaning up.

He went home at 10:30 and walked him and between then and now he went in his crate, got it all over himself, the crate and the wall.

He did the pinch test and said that he thought that looked okay.

I hate this, I feel so bad for him. :rolleyes:

Well DH said that the vet said everything was okay. He is giving him an antibiotic and anti-diarreah pill and said that he thinks he should clear up by Wed and that if he hasn't to come back in.

I need to ask again, as far as the broth goes, can I use something OTC like swanson.

I need to ask again, as far as the broth goes, can I use something OTC like swanson.

Canned broth may contain onion, which is bad for dogs. Onion (and garlic) can cause hemolytic anemia and the effect is cumulative. Doesn't matter if the onion is raw or cooked.

So it's certainly safer to make your own broth for the dog. Just dump a piece of chicken in a pot and cover with water. Simmer for a few hours and remove the chicken. Voila! Broth! You could also add some carrots and celery, but the dog is going to be happy with just the chicken flavor.