BC Boards

Thinking Of Adopting #2

Totally agree with the theory about spacing out the dogs - both for behavioural reasons, and in terms of being less likely to lose two dogs close in time. that said, with my previous 2 dogs, it was my 12 year old who got sick and died within a week, while the 15 year old, who I'd expected to lose first, kept going another 7 or 8 months. And yes, agree with RDM, losing a loved dog totally sucks. It was partly because of that, that I ended up with my current two being only 7 weeks apart in age. I really wasn't thinking straight at the time.

It's do-able, but needs management. I didn't have much problem with the toilet training (crates, leashes, and an umbilical cord for my yonger one, who was an escaper) - but there are issues with bonding and general training. You really have to work hard to give each pup the time and effort you would be giving one. I'm quite sure that I have short-changed my dogs - my boy in particular, by not being as consistent in his obedience and agility and tracking training as I should have been, and maybe might have been, had I only had one dog, or not had two virtually the same age. In fact, I sometimes lok at mine, and ask them what they would have been like if they'd been single dogs.

So there are definitely down-sides to having 2 anyway, and especially to having 2 of a similar age. On the other hand, having two dogs is a delight, and they certainly enjoy each other's company nearly all the time.

I appreciate all of the responses; good and bad. Somehow I think it would rest somewhere between the two. There are of course pros and cons to the situation and a blend of them would be logical.

I have been talking to the current foster parent who is part of our disc dog club here and she has to go out of town for the weekend to do some shows. So what we decided was that I would board Target for her over weekend on a trial basis as I am off Fri-Sun. This will be great! It will give me a taste of what to expect. The dogs should be at their worst by the time the weekend is over and we shall see the results which I will be posting. BTW - If I start talking of shooting myself in the head someone please talk me out of it....LOL

What has been mentioned and concerns me is the age Koda is right now. If he was around 2 and beginning his final year of maturity I would not be so worried. But someone mentioned the "demon stage" and he is already getting there. I recall this era with my last Border and it was aweful as far as one bad behavior straight into another. Heck, Koda should be losing his milk teeth fairly soon and that in itself is a lot of hard work that demands an eagle eye. Right now hes going through the counter and table surfing stage.

Truth is I wasnt looking for another dog and pictures arent going to give me puppy fever - not with Koda here. But there is something that drew me to this one in particular and Im not sure why. He's very cute but Im not totally taken with his looks; I would prefer a merle if getting a second. There is just something that makes me want to give this little guy a shot and Im not sure what it is. I do know, Koda would love the playmate. However, I also appreciate spending every bit of my day when not at work or sleeping with my dog. I mean that in the sense of developing the close relationship to just one.

I think the weekend will tell alot and I will be certain to write a play by play of how it went. He gets dropped off Friday at 7pm.

OK, the little guy arrived last night at about 7pm and he is CUTE! He's a wonderful little guy with an extremely loving personality but full of energy. It was assumed by the current foster parents that he was a puppy mill pooch and by his appearance he certainly isnt a well bred dog - tail to short, body not proportional, head larger than should be ect, ect... I am inclined to say that he is not purebred but rather a mix that is dominated by Border Collie. However, those traits certainly dont keep him from being a wonderful little guy who took to me immediately. He has good toy drive that indicates a highly potential frisbee dog; which is my cup of tea.

Koda and the new pup litterally tore the house down last night playing. It took all of about 60 seconds for them to figure each other out and begin play. They chased each other EVERYWHERE and Koda was so excited he couldnt contain himself. I have video of them just starting play and will post it today with a link from YouTube.

The one thing that is apparent is that Koda doesnt want to listen with the new pup around. He is SOOO focused on either play or herding him that he loses his brain. It is also difficult to get Koda to go when he is outside if they are together. Koda watches the pup and gets ready for play as soon as he is done. The little guy doesnt have the herding instinct like Koda.

I also had an issue with them around feeding time this morning. I brought up two bowls of food and went to feed Koda first (in his crate as always) and the pup followed us over. Surprisingly the pup pushed Koda out of the way and got rather nasty toward Koda. Well, there was an exchange (all show and no teeth) as the pup chased Koda out of his crate and Koda stopped backing up and held his ground. I was surprised at Koda's restraint and even more surprised to see the little pup act so aggressively. They were quickly seperated into their crates and all was well. This behavior at 3 months tends to bother me. Koda, who is 5 months, backed up out of his own crate and was giving space until the puppy followed him aggressively about 5 feet.

Any thoughts about this incident?

I also had an issue with them around feeding time this morning. I brought up two bowls of food and went to feed Koda first (in his crate as always) and the pup followed us over. Surprisingly the pup pushed Koda out of the way and got rather nasty toward Koda. Well, there was an exchange (all show and no teeth) as the pup chased Koda out of his crate and Koda stopped backing up and held his ground. I was surprised at Koda's restraint and even more surprised to see the little pup act so aggressively. They were quickly seperated into their crates and all was well. This behavior at 3 months tends to bother me. Koda, who is 5 months, backed up out of his own crate and was giving space until the puppy followed him aggressively about 5 feet.

Any thoughts about this incident?

Based on what you describe, I doubt I would regard the puppy's behavior as aggression, but as a lack of understanding of the fact that he does not control the resources in the house. If he is an "only dog" and has never had to wait his turn to get fed, he really might not know better than to try to take over your dog's bowl.

In this case - where one dog is not mine - I would crate them, either in separate rooms, or with some sort of sight barrier between them - before putting food into the bowls. Then I would give my dog his bowl first and the visiting dog's bowl second. In my house a guest dog is fed first only if he will eat his own food and not bother the other dogs. I don't consider it my job to train a visiting dog, unless I've been asked to, so I would manage the situation to avoid the issue.

If the second dog were mine, I would put the dog through a modified Nothing in Life is Free program at mealtimes that would consist of feeding the dog by hand in a separate room and teaching the dog to offer behaviors to earn his chance to eat. With Dean I found that took care of his lack of food bowl boundary manners in just about a month.

OK - Here is the video taken just a few minutes after I brought Koda out and he and the foster pup, Target, met. Enjoy!

Oh, and yes Koda went THROUGH THE MIDDLE of my coffee table....sigh....lol

Tassie you said it perfectly "In fact, I sometimes look at mine, and ask them what they would have been like if they'd been single dogs."

I have (am) raising a set of littermates sisters that are now 23 months old. They are great dogs, very happy, love people, have no inter-agression issues (luckily so far) and love playing with each other. However I do often think like Tassie. I can't help but wonder if it might have been better for them to be raised alone.

For me, this is the major reason I would not delibrately raised two pups together again.

Sounds like the pup is a bit big for his breeches. When you feed the next time, put pup in his crate first, then feed Koda, then the pup. Putting the pup in the crate first is to teach him to wait his turn- all pups will try getting over other dogs- and sometimes they bite off more than they can chew. So, keep him safe, and educated him at the same time. I have an almost 6 month old kitten who loves the dogs, but he tries to go near their food when they have been fed- bad idea. So, I just ensure that he is out of the room, or their crates are shut. Babies just don't have lots of thinking going on :rolleyes:

Sounds like the pup is a bit big for his breeches.

Yep, indeed he is to big for his britches. I thought that I had him out of the way but he slipped through the opening and plowed in. Koda quickly put him to the floor when he kept coming at him but surprisingly the pup wasnt giving up before I had ahold of Koda's collar and a sharp NO.

This hasnt been the only instance this weekend and Im sad to say Im not taking this pup. He has been extremely possesive over toys and more shockingly, me. Koda is a hyper pooch (as are all stock purebred Borders) but laid back all the same when it comes to toys. If its another dogs toy he likes to play keep away in fun but he freely gives his up in return; including his beloved tennis ball that he is OCD about.

However, when the little guy is on my lap or begging at my leg, and Koda comes up, he gets aggressive toward Koda. I mean to the point of growling and trying to chase him off. He's sweet as pie to me (and follows me everywhere) but I cant have that kind of behavior; nor do I want to try and work that one out. To me its an indication of future problems. Koda simply comes first and I wont have Koda scolded for seeking my attention if he does it properly.

This pup needs a one dog home and an owner committed to training. He could be trained to get over the possessiveness. He certainly is a SUPER sweet dog to people and is as loving as it gets. He loves to be held, snuggle and get scratches. He's pretty mellow all in all and should make an absolutely wonderful pet in the right home.

Im exhausted!!!