BC Boards

Tool or equipment to restrict activities

INU

Cooper cannot run or jump indefinitely. Is there any tool, harness, or some sort of equipment that you can put on a dog to prevent from running? I tried booties, little clothes wrapped around his shoulders etc but he'd still try to run, even when he's in pain.

Try asking that question on the forum over at Handicapped Pets.

ETA: I was thinking about your question again while I was out walking my dogs (in the moonlight :rolleyes: ). Isn't "a leash" the correct answer? I don't mean to be a smart aleck, but what do you want Cooper to be able to do that he couldn't do on a leash?

There is a "no jumping" harness we used with my parents' dog, oreo, when she used to try to climb fences - seemed to work well enough to keep her in the yard, but a bit annoying to put on. Here's a pic from a pet supply site: p_6350_FS5119.jpg

There is a "no jumping" harness we used with my parents' dog, oreo, when she used to try to climb fences - seemed to work well enough to keep her in the yard, but a bit annoying to put on. Here's a pic from a pet supply site: p_6350_FS5119.jpg

Thanks for the picture (the dog looks just like Cooper). That might work...

Leash?

Thanks but I don't see how I can put him on leash all the time - in the house, backyard, for the next 2 months. This is a dog that would try to run from room to room even with torn pads, a sprain leg, broken toe nails etc.

Inu,

I had a dog with a dislocated hip who had to be crate rested for 8 weeks. It wasn't that difficult to leash her when she needed to get out of the crate. And eventually I did let her out of the crate (with the vet's approval) when we were hanging out in the same room watching TV so she could stretch out a bit. If she had wanted to run from room to room I certainly would have leashed her. I don't know what Cooper's injury is, but in Jill's case, the constant vigilance with the leash paid off in not having to subject her to extensive--and expensive--surgery. When she couldn't be watched/leashed (and she was strictly on leash walking for all potty duty, and we also had to build a ramp for her down the back stairs as stairs were verboten--as I lived in the upstairs of this house I also *carried* her up and down the stairs as needed) she was crated. It's a tried and true method of keeping a dog quiet when health requires it. We all make our choices, but I honestly don't think putting the dog on a leash when it's not in a crate is that difficult.

J.

Thanks but I don't see how I can put him on leash all the time - in the house, backyard, for the next 2 months. This is a dog that would try to run from room to room even with torn pads, a sprain leg, broken toe nails etc.

Well, from that description, it sounds as though he needs to be crated when he can't be on a leash. Maybe there is some obedience work you could do with him that doesn't require too much movement so he could use his brain to expend some energy and at the same time work on "self-control."

Sorry that both of you are dealing with this. I had to put my 9 year old sheltie on complete rest 2 months ago and she is nothing like a BC. It was still stressful for her and not much fun for me.

I use the crate to restrict activities. I know that it seems harsh to keep an injured dog crated for most of the day and night, but in the long run you lessen the risk of the dog doing more serious harm. If one of my dogs needs to be crated due to injury, I will go buy lots of yummy bones and chews that I wouldn't ordinarily give. Also lots of kongs stuffed with yogurt, peanut butter, etc. I also move the crate to whichever room everyone else is hanging out in. My dogs usually sleep through the night so I will let them out and hook the leash to something in the bedroom so they can stretch out but not go running around the house.

*sigh*

I know I know... crate is the best way. I knew this was going to be the hardest part for me. It will be even harder to convince my husband who is anti-crate.

I think I will have to do that, don't I. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the reality check.

When Seamus had TPLO surgery last year I thought the 8 weeks of SEVERE crate rest was going to be impossible. It turned out not to be too bad. I borrowed an extra large wire crate (like for a Doberman size). Made it nice and comfy and gave him plenty of good things to chew on. When he was not in the crate he was on leash. ALL THE TIME. I would just hook the leash around my wrist or ankle. I let him sleep with me sometimes. I just tied the leash around my waist so he couldn't jump out of bed. After the first week he didn't resist the inactivity at all.

Being strict with inactivity is only temporary. Better than having a dog permanently injured.

Jennifer

I also move the crate to whichever room everyone else is hanging out in.

I did this too--made sure Jill's crate was in the center of things so she wasn't shut away from all the activity in the house even when she had to be in the crate.

I also agree that the "pain" of crating for the prescribed time will be much less than the pain of a dog who reinjures himself, especially if you don't know what the actual problem is in the first place.

J.