BC Boards

Happy seasonal tidings from a new member

post-8277-1198676668_thumb.jpgHello all BC owners.

My name is Richard, i live in the UK with my two BC`s. `Rosie` is a red/white female and is 10 months old, `Kai` is a black/white male and is 9 months old.

Kai is a rescue dog that i took over a month ago, he is very sweet in nature but his herding instincts are very strong ( make for some interesting walks in the park with joggers etc i can tell you !!) Rosie came from working stock but doest appear to show too much of the chase instinct .

They both get on really well together and play together most of the time when we are not walking on the hills.

I am glad I found this forum, I have spent many an hour reading the posts and have learnt a lot, well done to all contributers.

Although my two dogs will not be `working` , I do fully intend to train and compete for flyball once they are old enough. I am lucky enough to have two local flyball teams and have been to watch them practice already, I cant wait to get my dogs out on the track.

I have uploaded a pic, if this is not allowed then admin please delete .

Thanks to all who make this a great forum to be with.

Many regards for the New Year to one and all.

Richard, Rosie and Kai.

Hi Richard, and welcome! Pictures are not only allowed, they are greatly encouraged! We even have an entire section devoted to photos ("The People's Border Collie Gallery")! We especially love seeing pictures of youngsters and watching them grow. Thank you for taking in Kai--most board members really appreciate folks who take in rescues.

I don't do flyball, so can't comment on that, but I think if you and the dogs are having fun, then it's a great thing to do!

The folks here are friendly, and full of knowledge, so if you have questions, feel free to ask away. Oh and if you haven't read the "Read this first" thread at the top of this section, you might want to, as it will explain the main philosophies espoused by this forum's host and a majority of its members (which can save trouble later).

Again, welcome. Kai and Rosie are lovely.

J.

Hi Richard!

We love pictures, no problem (not admin, but guilty of inflicting many a pic). We have a whole forum dedicated to pics, in fact.

What teams will you be checking out? I mean, if you'd rather keep your location anonymous that's fine, but I'd love to hear about flyball overseas when you start training and competing! I don't do it anymore, but before I really got into the farm, we did a good bit of flyball.

Hi all, thx for all your welcomes. Yes i do have many questions which I hope you can help me with - these will be another topic of course.

No secrets on my location, i am situated on the north west coast of the UK near to Blackpool. Yorkshire is the next county to me, so its not too far away.

The Flyball teams I have met so far are the FlydeCoasters, which I belive won the european championships in 2007 and the SuperNovas which are based in Blackpool. As my dogs are still too young to even do the practice of flyball . I am trying to get my rescue dog interested in tennis balls, seems his previous owners never showed him what a ball was. So he just picks it up then drops it , whereas Rosie being mine from 8 weeks has grown up with tennis balls and toys, she I think will be very good at it. Again yes I thank all owners of rescue of BC`s , its a shame people dont do the research first before getting a puppy. So many seem to end up in rescue centres which is really sad, I wish I could take them all, but house space is the problem.

Take care all.

Rich and the dogs

My rescue youngster (not so young now at nearly 12 years old!) would not touch a ball or any toy until he was a year old. After that he became quite obsessed! I worked with him a long time just praising him for picking it up, then bringing it a step to me, then bringing it all the way. At first he was very blase and it was just a job he did to please me. Then one day we were playing with a friend who had a ball-obsessed Border Collie and suddenly it was like the light went on!

Now as all people who visit can attest, he thinks all people exist to throw the ball for him. He loved flyball, though he was not that great at it.

Thanks Rebecca, Irena Farm.

Actually we spent all last night and most of this morning `playing ball`. He seems to be learning from Rosie which is good. He chases it and brings it back, tho letting go is hit and miss. At least he learns fast , as most BC`s do. It will take time I know, but I really dont mind putting the work in.

Thanks all

Rich

Welcome aboard, Rich! Your dogs are beautiful. Like Kai, my Daisy was a rescue who wasn't very toy-oriented, though no one who knows her now would believe that. It was just as Rebecca described for her. One day she was chasing her BC friend Riley, who was chasing his ball, and her light went on and she realized she could catch the ball too. I will bet that Kai will learn from Rosie!

Wow you must have your hands full with 2 pups a similar age. They are absolutely gorgeous though so Im sure it is worth it.

My flyball club allows puppies to start at about 6mnths. They cant do any jumping but they can learn to turn on the box and we put the 2 inch inserts into the jumps so that they are basically non existant but the dogs learn to go up over 4 of them, do the turn that they have just learnt, then run back over the 4 for lots of praise. After that we just add more height to the jumps and the dogs dont seem to notice the difference. It might be worth looking into if you are interested in starting them now.

Hi berocca, I dont know if its just a UK thing but the flyball training places here wont allow till 12 months old, i can see thier point as regards the jumps but its a good idea to place say just lines on the ground for practice. Yes Kai is leaning from Rosie which is a big help, amazing they teach each other stuff, mind you pack animals have to ,to survive i guess. Got some issues with the both of them but i`m getting there slowly.

Thanks

Rich