BC Boards

Walks Food & Baths!

just had a couple of Q's to see what you have all done in the past?

1) Scamp is now 19 weeks and I have been taking him out twice a day at the moment for about 20 - 25 mins each time, as I was told rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age.

Is this right? when can he start to go on longer walks?

2) I know I have asked before but I cant find it, when did you cut out your pups midday meal to make it twice a day?

3) Ive never bathed Scamp but he has been neck high in the sea a few times.

He doesnt seem dirty so am I right in thinking its not necessary to bath him?

4) Lastly still trying to work on when playing fetch he just wont Give me theb all back but he really wants to he puts his paws on my hands and pushes against me and teases me but will not let go without me getting it quickly LOL!! Once I am holding it he will release straight away and run off to wait.

Thanks for your help

1) Never heard of that rule before. I suppose common sense can help. You could have longer walks, but giving him some minutes of rest from time to time and always carrying a dissh and a bottle of water with you. If he seems to be getting tired, then has been enough.

2)I did it about 9 m/o, but thats is me, I don't know if there is any regulated age.

3) I still would wait a bit for a bath. In the beach he can get wet, but not so deeply soaked as a bath. Even swimming, the dog hair can be very impermeable and the water barely touch the skin if the baths are not so longs. At least, wait until all the booster shots are ok.

4) Use two or more balls, don't ask him to give you the ball in the hands yet. First, teach him that when he drop the first ball, you will throw the second one, then gradually, ask him to drop it nearer you until he drop the ball to your side. When this behavior is established, you can ask him to give objets in the hand as a separate excercise and then link both exercises.

thanks for your reply. I have read in alot of places not to walk your puppy on long walks because it can damage their growing bones and cause arthritis when older.. I just assumed this was right?

Even at his puppy class she said at 15 weeks old... no more than 10/15 minutes and they get plenty more exercise playing during the day.

But I wondered when he could go further and not cause harm.

Originally posted by Melody:

3) Ive never bathed Scamp but he has been neck high in the sea a few times.

He doesnt seem dirty so am I right in thinking its not necessary to bath him?

I don't know about the other questions, since I've never had a pup, but I never, ever bathe my dog and she still smells fine after being with me for almost two years. Her coat is pretty short and dirt doesn't stick to it. It dries and falls right off again. Maybe it would be different with a rough coat.

I would suggest at least a light rinsing off after being in sea water just to get any residual salt water off. If he licks his fur he may injest more salt than would be good for him.

He is almost 5 mos so I would take cue's from him more than a set time on how long to walk.

1) I guess that rule seems OK. But more you should be watching him. If he looks tired at all, take him home. The same thing won't work for every puppy.

2) I start cutting back by feeding the same amount, but twice a day, then reduce the food (or increase it even) until I find what keeps her a good weight. All around 9-10 months.

3) they don't ever "need" a bath. If he rolls in something and smells really bad, you should give one! But other then that they don't really ever need a bath as long as you are OK with their smell, and if any, the dirt on their paws.

4) The "two toy" method (in Catu's post) always seems to work best for young dogs.

Aren't pups fun! What the others have said - just wanted to add about getting the ball back - the two ball/two toy method is good, but you might also want to try encouraging him to allow you to take things - particularly if you plan to do formal obedience. You can try having treats with you, to reward him for giving the ball, and also try putting your hand under his chin, rather than trying to take the ball directly out of his mouth. It works well with my girl to get her tug-toy back.

Of course if you use this method, you would start playing again straight away a few times, so that another game becomes part of the reward.

Again back to the ball thing:

Make sure it has a command. Sometimes when you come and take something from the dog's mouth that may only make him want to hold onto it more. But if it was a command just like a sit or a down, it might seem more natural for him to obey. End product would be you holding out your hand, saying the command, and the toy ends up out of Scamp's mouth and in your hand without having to try and pry it out.

I had my pups in the tub at a early age even put some water on them . But mostly let them get use to going in tub just in case they need bath . i try to introduce all kinds of difrent things so they can learn about them walk in mud ,sand cement (DRY) wood floors ,rugs , tile painted serfaces ,grass weeds and so on/ bobh enjoy your pup before you no it he will be an teen ager.

bobh

I know he is growing up so fast!! Just like kids!

I have been trying "Give it" and holding a treat out, then he drops the ball for the treat and I reward him "good give". I'll keep this up for a while and see how it goes

Thanks for your replies.

I guess I must be weird when it comes to baths. I usually give my dogs a bath about once a month. I say usually, that time frame usually coincides with getting seriously muddy on the ranch or rolling in "fresh" horsepoop or some other fun thing from a BC's perspective. I've had dogs that didn't like baths but these two are just great. they sit there and get really relaxed, no panting or stressing. Afterwards both even get the blow dryer treatment which puts one to sleep and the other excited and rolling around like a "wackado."

As for walking/running. I'd go easy the first six months and let them set the distance, erring on the short side of things. Then, up to a year build them up gradually. After about 18 months my feeling is lay it on however much they want. I run about 30 miles per week with my dogs now and hope to get back to about 40-50 in the next six months. We run every day around dawn when its cool and above all, when they give me signs that something is wrong we shut things down immediately.

-jay