BC Boards

in the news

Here are two news stories. They are about herding, but oh so different. Shows the dichotomy between those who play and those who work

A game of canine chess: Nonfarming dog owners find there's much skill and satisfaction in teaching their dog how to herd sheep

Published Sat, Nov 17, 2007

Zig-zagging left and right but steadily pushing forward, Star, a 3-year-old border collie, kept a keen eye on the three white sheep and the one woman in front of her. Seeing a sheep begin to stray, Star circled around to her left, keeping the sheep in line, then laid prone but ready to pounce for a few moments before popping up again to zig and zag.

"Star is very gentle with the sheep, real easygoing, very smooth, doesn't stress the sheep out too much," said Star's owner, Windi Williams-Weaver. "A lot of times the dogs know what they're doing and they just tolerate us."

Tree Frog Fen

Red Creek Farm

Williams-Weaver was one of 11 dog owners at Tree Frog Fen farm in Sheldon last weekend who were learning to herd sheep. Herding began as a practical way for farmers to get sheep from one place to another, but it has grown into a popular activity for nonfarming dog owners.

In 2006 more than 150 clubs accredited by the American Kennel Club held a total of 637 herding competitions. Dogs in the trials maneuver sheep through a variety of obstacles and obey commands from people as far as half a mile away. For top-level events, herders must know whistle commands as well as voice commands because the sound of a whistle travels farther.

"This is the chess match of dog sports," said Joe Staton, a biology professor at the University of South Carolina Beaufort, whose wife, Jennifer, hosted the clinic on their farm. "There are people who wear gloves with the commands written on

them because there are so many."

The clinic at Tree Frog Fen was mainly for beginners, so the action was confined to a ring 100 feet across, and the students received only 13 voice commands to learn. But that doesn't mean it was easy.

"The main thing is to keep the dog herding, not attacking," said Carol Wiercisiewski of Mount Pleasant, who attended her first clinic with her dog, Penny. "You're walking backward, and you keep the sheep with you, so you end up going round in circles … and trying not to trip over the sheep or the dog or the cord (attached to the dog's collar).

"Three people have fallen today," she added. "I'm not one of them, but I've only (herded) once so far."

Most people herded four times each day for about five minutes, or until the dog was tired. The team of three sheep was changed at

lunch.

"I don't think (the sheep) like it," said Carol Anne Tholkes, one of two trainers at the clinic. "They don't really mind it. It's like riding a horse."

She and her husband, Jon, held a clinic at Tree Frog Fen for the fourth time last weekend. They run clinics about once a month on their Red Creek Farm in Townville and will return to Tree Frog Fen in the

spring.

"A dog that has instinct may take right to (herding)," Tholkes said. "The person usually needs a lot more training than the dog does. And a lot of people say, 'I don't want to do a sport where the dog's smarter than

I am.'"

Sheep are very smart, too, Tholkes said, adding that they have a reputation for stupidity because they are very nervous. But some people saw it the other way around.

"A sheep can get panicky and run into a fence and break its neck because they're pretty stupid," Staton said, reacting calmly to the loud crash of a sheep as it careened into the fence. The sheep, which had been cornered under a tree by a border collie, did not appear hurt.

All types of dogs were welcome at the clinic, including a 12-pound sheltie named Maeby, who was herding for the third time, but border collies performed the best.

"They're real type A personalities -- obsessive-compulsive, anal perfectionists," Williams-Weaver said. "Border collies would be great in the workforce."

But even the dogs that weren't successful herders seemed to enjoy the clinic.

"Penny got real excited and ran pretty hard at the sheep," Wiercisiewski said of her 5-year-old border collie mix. "She was probably more playing than working, but she liked chasing them."

more news:

Competitors flock to sheepdog trials in Auburn

By: Michelle Miller, Journal Features Editor

Friday, November 16, 2007

courtesy Kathy Hoffer of Loomis watches as her dog Jill, who was imported from a working sheep ranch in northern England, works a flock at last year's sheepdog trials.

A good sheepdog can move a seemingly immobile pack of wool-coated livestock with only its intimidating glare.

The call it "eye" - when a dog has the presence to make sheep move without biting or pulling the fur, explains Jan Davis, one of the organizers of the United States Border Collie Handler's Association sheepdog trials.

Spectators can watch around 50 of these amazing working dogs from all over the West Coast do their job at the trials, held this weekend in Auburn.

Border collies will be judged by Alun Jones, a distinguished sheepdog handler from Wales. Dogs earn points toward nationals at this competition.

"They're judged on how well they maneuver the sheep on a line," Davis said. "There's an imaginary line that it's best to keep the sheep on driving straight to you."

The trials are held at the ranch property belonging to Joel and Susie Thompson.

"It's just a really beautiful location this time of year," Davis said. "They were nice enough to invite us back for the third year."

Local 4-H and FFA groups will offer snacks for sale, with proceeds going to their organizations.

The event will be held rain or shine, which, as Davis points out, is a real-world situation for the working dog.

"Any dogs in the herding group are helpful in ranching farms to tend to the livestock and protect the herd," Davis said. "It's a tradition that's been going on for centuries that started in Wales, Scotland and England."

Kathy Hoffer of Loomis has been competing in trials for around 10 years now. She first became interested in border collies after seeing a friend's collie pup that already had the herding instinct.

"But they're the kind of dog that needs a job, not a dog to have in town. So when I moved out to the country, I got one and got hooked on it," Hoffer said. "Like anything you do that's a challenge, you try to get better at it, and competition keeps you doing that." The dog she owns is Jill, an 8-year-old border collie she bought from a woman who imported her from a sheep ranch in Cumbria, England.

The border collie is known for its gathering instinct, Hoffer said, but training is still required to hone in on the dog's talent.

"Some (dogs) have it, some don't. It's a crapshoot when you get a puppy," she said.

During the timed event, dogs must complete a course that leads sheep through gate panels and into a pen. Dogs in the trial are given points and then docked for not completing tasks properly.

"It's all based on practical work," Hoffer said. "You might be taking sheep somewhere with gates in the pasture or a creek or a cliff - it'd be kind of nice if the sheep didn't go off," Hoffer said. "You might have to divide the sheep, and the practical reason for that is one or two might need doctoring."

The handler uses whistles to give commands, but for the most part, the dog knows what do do.

"It's pretty amazing," Hoffer said. "They do these things and you just say, 'Wow.'"

Um, I'm still quite the novice, but I'm having trouble coming up with 13 commands... any ideas?

Susan

I have 10 or so - make that 9

both flanks

steady

lie down

walk up

get out

look back

here

that'll do

Then there's the few under your breath that are best left unsaid....

Karen

Then there's the few under you breath that are best left unsaid....

:rolleyes: I used quite a few of those commands this morning while trying to load reluctant sheep onto a trailer in the rain....

I liked the *only* 13 commands, as if there are actually 500 or so, but since these were beginners, only 13 would have to suffice. I think you could work a decent dog pretty well with just 3 or 4: right, left, stop, and that'll do.

How fun! Thank you for the article about the Auburn, CA trial. I haven't had time to log on here in a while but we did go to the Pro-Novice version of this trial on Sunday. It is a very nice trial at a beautiful ranch (even has a covered bridge). Lovely weather, nice runs, jovial judging, all those good things. I am sure I used my 13 alotted commands although probably most of my run sounded like one long stop whistle. :rolleyes:

cheers,

--Billy

[more news:

Competitors flock to sheepdog trials in Auburn

By: Michelle Miller, Journal Features Editor

Friday, November 16, 2007

courtesy Kathy Hoffer of Loomis watches as her dog Jill, who was imported from a working sheep ranch in northern England, works a flock at last year's sheepdog trials.

A good sheepdog can move a seemingly immobile pack of wool-coated livestock with only its intimidating glare.

The call it "eye" - when a dog has the presence to make sheep move without biting or pulling the fur, explains Jan Davis, one of the organizers of the United States Border Collie Handler's Association sheepdog trials.

Spectators can watch around 50 of these amazing working dogs from all over the West Coast do their job at the trials, held this weekend in Auburn.

Border collies will be judged by Alun Jones, a distinguished sheepdog handler from Wales. Dogs earn points toward nationals at this competition.

...while trying to load reluctant sheep onto a trailer in the rain....

Sigh. I'm jealous. I'd give pretty much anything about now to be doing anything "in the rain." :rolleyes:

A

Anna,

It rained only long enough, and barely hard enough, to make loading sheep a nightmare because of slick ramp and floorboards (uncovered trailer), and since I was heading to the market, I couldn't wait for it to stop and dry up (which it did by 10:30) because I had to have the critters to the market before auction time. We haven't actually had a good rain lately, and certainly not since we planted all that winter wheat and turnips, but I'm holding out hope as the weatherpeople are calling for rain tomorrow. Although if you look at the projected radar, it would seem that the front with the rain will hit the western NC mountains and then break up, meaning our chances of any substantial rain are slim to none, per usual.

J.