BC Boards

Sophie is stiff & sore after hike

Sophie is seven and has always been very active. We used to hike almost every day, but I admit to slacking majorly on our hikes this past summer. I have been working my other dogs in the mornings, and working a lot, so poor Sophie has sort of gotten the short end of the stick lately. This morning, we went on a hike, and though it wasn't long or particularly strenuous, she is stiff and seems sore now. Can it be because she has not been as active lately, or perhaps <gulp> due to her age? Seven still seems really young to me. I'll start giving her glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM regardless, but I am just so surprised that she is so sore. She's just way too young to be slowing down...right? :rolleyes:

Yup. When I bought my house I was 40 (about 7 in dog years). The first summer, I was painting and patching like mad- and ached ALL OVER. Then I got my dog and started hiking miles a day, wrestling, tossng stick, etc.. This past summer, I painted and patched like mad, and I didn't ache at all. And technically, I'm 4 years older than I was last time. :rolleyes:

I'd say it's an out of shape thing.

Mary

Well, it hasn't been that long since we've gone out regularly...but there has been a significant dropoff in her exercise, I guess.

Eep, how embarrassing...my dog is out of shape. In the seven years I've had her, we've hiked and swam very regularly--much of that time included 8-10 mile hikes in the mountains every weekend all year round. I've never had a dog who wasn't very fit before. I guess it's time to make sure I'm not forgetting to meet Sophie's needs, as I spend more and more of my time working Taz and Craig with sheep...

IMG_0431_1_1.jpg

When Casey was around 7 he started getting stiff and sore after lots of play. Something that never happened before. He used to play nonstop, but now he is 9 and still plays, only not as much. I dont believe walking ever hurt him, but the running and chasing bothered him.

Emu oil is great for joints and a bunch of other good stuff.

Emu oil link

1/2 a teaspoon in their daily rations.

I swear by it and have been giving it to my dogs for 20 yrs.

Our St.Bernard Hannabul lived to be 15 1/2 yrs,,very long life for a Bernard here in our climate.

Our Chow/mix lived to 17 1/2

They had Emu oil everyday and I attribute alot of their good health and longvity to it.

Here's a picture of Hannabul at 12 years old, most bernards have serious problems even getting up to a standing position by the time their 10.

All our dogs have extremely good skin and coats which again I attribute to the Emu oil.

I just can't believe more people don't use it.

carolhannibul.jpg

Thanks IronHorse--I've never heard of emu oil as a supplement. I will definitely check it out. The obvious vitality of your Hannabul is quite an endorsement, as is your large-breed dogs living into their late teens.

Emu oil is great for joints and a bunch of other good stuff.

Emu oil link

1/2 a teaspoon in their daily rations.

I swear by it and have been giving it to my dogs for 20 yrs.

Our St.Bernard Hannabul lived to be 15 1/2 yrs,,very long life for a Bernard here in our climate.

Our Chow/mix lived to 17 1/2

They had Emu oil everyday and I attribute alot of their good health and longvity to it.

Here's a picture of Hannabul at 12 years old, most bernards have serious problems even getting up to a standing position by the time their 10.

All our dogs have extremely good skin and coats which again I attribute to the Emu oil.

I just can't believe more people don't use it.

carolhannibul.jpg