BC Boards

training

Hello Everyone

Schamus is a four month old border collie and he refuses to do a two ourside......he lets us know when he has to go and loves going outside and always does a one but never a two........the moment we come in he does a two.......any suggestions about how we can cure this habit??? Thanks

I would suggest that if he doesn't go when you go outside, especially at time when you know he should, like first thing in the moring, to go inside and put him in his crate. Wait 5 minutes or so and then take him back out. Also, a good run helps to work the poo out. So maybe have him on a long light line. That way you are hopefully setting him up for success, by not allowing him to go inside. Another trick used a lot my IG owners (who are notoriously difficult to housebreak) is to leash your dog to you, if you are unsure about their potty habits. The more freedom you give him before he is ready the more difficult it is going to be to help him understand the rules of the game. Good Luck!!

How long have you had him? Sometimes they'll take a little while to get comfortable enough to go. I would take him out in the morning to go pee, then maybe go play with him for a little while. Then take him back to the same spot to go poop. It will take a little while for him to learn to go outside. When he does go poop make sure he knows it's a really good thing :rolleyes: lots of praise, and playing. Also, be sure to take him to the same spot everytime. Then he'll know that's where he is supposed to go.

Good afternoon all,

My wife and I have two BC, Julie a 2-1/2 yo F and Schamus who is a 4 mo M, Little Schamus has given us fits, we take him out, take him to his "Spot" and he will do a #1, but a #2 is out of the question. I have brought him in, put him back into his kennel, waited up to a 1/2 hour(starting at the first sign of a wimper and increased) and he is taken out again, but nothing, till he is inside the house. He has been taken outside, played with, walked, ran, both dogs have long leads(which get to be a hand full when they play) but still no #2. It is frustrating, since the female, will wake me when and if she has to go out, she is such a good child, except, she is not helping with here "little brother". Oh, I have even gone as far as taking them out seperatly. I am at my wits end, please, any help? Oh, he does get praise for his #1's.

Don' t play too much at potty time....little kids don't remember they "have to GO" till they are in from the playground. Stay unemotional about mistakes. Be consistant. It may take several months before he's trustworthy. Tether him to yourself in the house. Watch his body language...sniffing, circling and the "hunch" are signs that he's gonna go! Pick him up and take him to the spot, little verbal or eye contact until the job is done. Good luck and stay kind and patient.