BC Boards

Please Help- New border collie owner

I need some help. I got my first Border Collie a couple of days ago, she is 3 months old. I brought her home and she is not moving around much. She is just sitting there and not eating much at all or drinking much water. I was wondering if someone could please give me some advise

Guest WoobiesMom

Where did you get her? Take her temp and call a vet. There's so many things that could be going on it's impossible to say, but that definitely seems to be unusual for a pup of that age. Don't want to alarm you, but that's the age my pup got parvo and almost died. If you got her from a breeder, maybe call them. If you got her from a pet store, run don't walk to the nearest vet!

Good luck!

I agree. Babies that young are still very fragile and I'd be concerned.

I routinely schedule an appointment for the vet for new pups and dogs I get here anyway. It's always nice to have bases touched with a vet, and they can catch anything like kennel cough, ear gook or creepy crawlies before I expose the rest of the gang to them. :rolleyes:

I hope it works out all right!

I need some help. I got my first Border Collie a couple of days ago, she is 3 months old. I brought her home and she is not moving around much. She is just sitting there and not eating much at all or drinking much water. I was wondering if someone could please give me some advise

I got her from a breeder and she got her shots the day I got her, and i called her and she just thought she was scared and sad from being away from her mom and siblings.

Vaccines can make them a bit lethargic - what vaccines did she get? You still might need to worry about illness though, especially if this was her first round of vaccines.

I wouldn't go with the breeder's input here. Get a second opinion as soon as you can. I would go now. This could be a small thing, in which case you get some peace of mind at the vets and work to make her feel more at home. But it could very well be parvo or any number of very bad things. A couple of days is a long time to be sleepy from shots or having separation anxiety, in my limited experience. I'd err on the side of caution.

Guest WoobiesMom

^^^ What she said! And with it being a weekend, it's better today while things are still open than tomorrow when it'll only be the uber-expensive ER vets available. Better safe than sorry.

^^^ What she said! And with it being a weekend, it's better today while things are still open than tomorrow when it'll only be the uber-expensive ER vets available. Better safe than sorry.

Hey thanks for all your help. I took Nova to the vet and everything checked out good. He said it was probaly just scared, but she has came around alot today, so i think everything will be ok

I'm so glad she's okay. Keep an eye on her though, puppies can dehydrate very quickly. I'm not trying to be scary- it's just that if her lack of interest in food and water persists for more than a day or so, I would call the vet back and see how to proceed. I'm not trying to second guess your vet, but I had a puppy go through parvo this summer, so I am still in paranoia mode. Did your vet do any tests on her?

Guest WoobiesMom

Phew! That's good! And welcome to the boards! I'm glad she's A-OK. Once she gets comfy and starts feeling her oats, you'll probably wish she was quiet and withdrawn again! LOL Have fun and post pics!!!