BC Boards

For Owners of More Than One BC-Do Your Dog's Do This?

When you are playing ball with your dogs, does it always seem like only one usually gets the ball everytime or one dog more than the other?

Poppy is the one that almost always gets it. Unless he is tiring. For the most part Pepper is content to herd him, or make mock attempts to get it.

Plus, when I'm playing ball with both pups and Pepper makes off with the ball, Poppy will run up alongside her, grab her by the ruff, or collar and flip her over onto her side and (albeit gently) take the ball from her mouth.

She just loves to instigate the chase. But sometimes if she knows Poppy is closing in fast, she will drop the ball and scoot!!

'Coz come hell or high water Poppy is gonna get that ball!!

He doesn't like her to hold up our game too long...lol.

My dogs do relay races as I call them as I have one who likes to chase the ball, one who actually likes to catch it, and one who actually brings it back. All three will fetch nicely if playing one on one, but if all three are out together, that's pretty much how they divide up the fun.

Keep in mind that when I first showed our behaviorist this little trick he looked at me as if I were crazy and did not recommend playing fetch with more than one dog at a time. I told him that it worked for us and we had never had any aggression issues during playtime and he has slowly come to understand that HOWEVER it would not be unusual for excitement to escalate to aggression during multiple dog fetch so keep that in mind as your pups grow older.

Maria

Ari is some what content to herd Zoe when it comes to ball playing but get a frisbee in the works and it all changes.

They both run flat out for the frisbee. Most of the time Ari catches it.

It doesn't matter if it is the ball or the frisbee, if Ari catches it Zoe takes it away and brings it back.

They both will return the ball or the frisbee in a one on one game but together it's all Zoe.

Zeeke runs, Zeeke catches, sometimes Zoe gets it if he decides it's not fun anymore. She likes to chase and fetch too, but she quickly learned that Zeeke likes to plow over/into her in order to get the object.... sooo she now hangs back a little to avoid that. :rolleyes:

I only have one dog, but I noticed that if another dog tries to get the frisbee away from him at the lil' dog park we go to every day, Ouzo is totaly cool with it, he would let the other dog take it away from him, only to wait for the perfect moment to claim it back and run with it.

Just now, when we went out, a little 4 month old English Bulldog (George :rolleyes: ) took Ouzo's frisbee from his mouth at least 5-6 times, without any protests from my dog. He would just let the puppy have the toy, then turn around and the second the puppy drops it, he would zero in to the frisbee and run with it :D Surprisingly, totaly non-confruntational...

I only have 1 dog that likes to fetch. If there are other dogs over that also like to fetch, they usually concede to him and just shadow him, but he is the one that actually fetches whatever toy he is playing with. Out of my other dogs, one likes to shadow him and nip when he can. We discourage that. Another likes to hold something in his mouth and follow the fetching dog. If I don't kick the ball in due time the "following" dog will come give the ball a nudge to get the game going again, even though he will never actually fetch the ball to me. He also will never try to get the ball from the fetching dog. The 4th one of my dogs could care less about playing at all and would rather watch the sheep. Fetch? Not if her life depended on it.

Is this too many dogs to play fetch with? There were more dogs here that day but they are out of frame. We never had a problem allowing all these dogs to play together.

lotsadogs.jpg

Jackson has had limited time playing with other dogs, but when Mick, AKA Buddy, was here he taught him how to play. When I threw the frizbee or ball, Jackson was way faster, so he got it, but Mick would wait and try to way lay him! Skip does the same thing, although on a much smaller scale.

Joan, can I guess that Mike won't fetch? LOL And that Reign does? You gotta be in heaven with all those dogs! I definitely have to stop in on my next trip to CA!
Boy, you are good Linda.

I wish you would stop in next time you are in CA. I'd love to meet you in person.

Not all the dogs in that pic are mine. I have 5 and she had 5 or 6. We've had more than that before and they all got along ok..with supervision. We used to all get together with our dogs and haul sheep out to the desert to work all day. We'd always let the dogs run before and after. Now those friends have all moved to different states :rolleyes:

I have tried playing with two balls and they prefer to share. They share everything(toy- wise). Their choice.

About the nipping yes Pepper does do that to Poppy when he is coming back to me after fetching the ball,a nd actually she got him good yesterday. He yipped and looked so sad and she looked chastised.

Now when he has accidently hurt her she will yip, growl and retaliate by biting him! (And in that order too!!) :rolleyes: