BC Boards

Snow

The other day we had our first frost (so early!) and Shadow was terribly unsure about the crunchy white grass, and probably how cold it was. Is there any trick to introducing them to snow, as I'm sure we'll have some soon enough.. don't want her to be upset about it if possible. We get 8-10 feet here in a normal winter, with 2 or 3 thaws, if its a bad winter we can get up to 25 feet (thats the most I've seen here anyhow, was neat! The roads were tunnels in the snow!) so there will be no snow-avoidance! Also, the breeder said she will have a "medium coat", do I need to get her a sweater or boots for playing outdoors in? (I don't snip the fur between her toes, if that is relevant, she won't sit still long enough for that yet, if ever). Thanks folks! :rolleyes:

I think once Shadow realizes how much fun snow is...you won't have a problem. Get a bright orange hockey ball, toss it it the snow...and she'll get it :rolleyes: My BC's LOVE winter. They have never had a coat or boots although if you're walking where there is a lot of salt on the roads, if you can get her to wear boots, it would be a good thing.

Both my BCs also love to do 'diggydog' in the snow - if you want tunnels they will oblige! The only thing I'm careful about in the winter is ice - It's so easy for a dog to break through if they think it's 'ground'.

I'm sure Shadow will have a blast!

Shadow will be ok with snow, once it gets fluffy and nice. Ouzo was a bit puzzled when he first saw snow at about 3 months, but the next winter he decided snow = fun. Plus he learned that snow eats tennis balls. Lots of them. And if he's being a good boy, snow returns his tennis balls when spring comes :rolleyes: Check the videos I have on my dogster webpage (see signature) of him having a blast in the snow last December.

The other day we had our first frost (so early!) and Shadow was terribly unsure about the crunchy white grass, and probably how cold it was. Is there any trick to introducing them to snow, as I'm sure we'll have some soon enough.. don't want her to be upset about it if possible. We get 8-10 feet here in a normal winter, with 2 or 3 thaws, if its a bad winter we can get up to 25 feet (thats the most I've seen here anyhow, was neat! The roads were tunnels in the snow!) so there will be no snow-avoidance! Also, the breeder said she will have a "medium coat", do I need to get her a sweater or boots for playing outdoors in? (I don't snip the fur between her toes, if that is relevant, she won't sit still long enough for that yet, if ever). Thanks folks! :D

Yikes!!! So much snow. It was 95 degrees here yesterday....I'm waiting for the cold to come. Enough of this silly heat! :rolleyes:

Also, the breeder said she will have a "medium coat", do I need to get her a sweater or boots for playing outdoors in?

Kessie has a medium coat - I think that answers your question :rolleyes:. The only thing she doesn't like are snow clumps forming in her coat. She just has to live with those on days when we have that kind of snow.

As for her being upset about it at first, I really wouldn't worry about that. It's a normal thing to be a little worried about new things at first, after all. I'd just take her out for her walks as usual. She'll see that you aren't scared of it, and follow you.

What you MIGHT want to worry about is creating a monster. :D

DSCF1757kl.jpg

DSCF2543kl-1.jpg

ANYTIME Y'ALL WANT TO SEND SOME COOLER WEATHER...

....WE'RE READY!!!!! :D

First time my Texas bred dogs saw snow was so funny...like walking on eggshells,but didn't

take long for them to discover it sure was fun to roll in....

Horses too... Who says a 1000 lb horse can't tiptoe???????? :rolleyes:

This week is SO weird! Wednesday had a heavy frost, and today was so hot I had to have the fan on and I'm still roasting! Think I'll try and get her some boots for walks, they use a LOT of salt on the roads here imagine it would eat her little paws raw.

Be careful though. Once they learn that snow=fun you'll never come in from the cold :rolleyes: