BC Boards

So Sad...

Shadow is just shy of 2 years old. When she was undergoing elementary training (puppy kindergarten, family basics, advanced family basics, remedial puppy kindergarten, reform school, etc.), there was a charming young couple (FBI Agent and his wife) who had an adorable Wheaton Terrier that they really loved. After the class, the school would allow Shadow and the Wheaton to run and play together for 15 to 20 minutes, as Shadow was the only dog the young couple had encountered that could outrun the Wheaton, and the two of them had a rollicking good time together. The two sometimes saw each other at the monthly "Dogs Just Want To have Fun" that the school has for graduates on the first Friday of every month, and the fun between them continued. We shared the same vet, so we kept tabs on each others' dogs through the vet.

The vet called us yesterday to tell us that the Wheaton had died suddenly, and the owners had no clue as to what happened to cause the death; the dog was in perfect health, and dropped dead in the middle of a full run. They had the dog cremated, and the ashes will be split and a portion buried with each of them when the time comes.

I don't know why I feel so awful about this. It is more than just empathy for another dog owner. My Shadow's friend and playmate, the same age as Shadow, is suddenly gone without rhyme or reason. I can only imagine how devastated that wonderful young couple is at this point.

Don't take your dogs for granted; savor every moment of fun and love you have with them. You never know what life has in store for any of us, including our pets.

We had a member here, forget who, who had the exact same thing happen to one of their dogs.

It's a horrible tragedy. It probably bothers you so much because it could have happened to your dog, or mine. Like you said, cherish your dog, your family, your life, because you never know how long you'll have.