BC Boards

Aussie?

I have a couple questions about Aussies. There may or may not be one coming home with me :rolleyes: So I wanted to know, are they a lot like BC's? I have been around a few of them and they seem pretty laid back (with lots of work I know) unless they're working. They do make good agility/flyball dogs don't they? For everyone that has an Aussie please tell me about them a little. I'm not completely lost about Aussies I just wanted to hear about some other peoples dogs.

Laid back?? Well no, not exactly. That is, Boo is considerably more frenetic than my other dogs (Kit-- BC and Minnie --ACD mix). But one of the qualities I love best about him is he makes me laugh. He's so joyful and playful and affectionate. He settles down just fine and has no problem lying around while I read or watch tv, i.e. he's not a perpetual motion machine. But for instance, when I'm preparing meals, Kit lays quietly just outside the dining room, Minnie is boring holes into me with her intensity, and Boo does his patrol circuit, as I call it. He runs a circuit once around the living room, then one around the dining room, sometimes makes a short circuit onto the back porch via the doggie door, and then sits while I approach with his food bowl. His excitement level escalates higher and faster than my other dogs. It no longer takes him as long to calm down after getting excited, and the other day I was shocked when the doorbell rang and he actually stayed in a sit while I opened it (although he did break a couple of times he actually listened and obeyed when I told him to sit down).

Boo is very protective/possesive of me. But don't forget I know nothing of his former life and I found him as an scared, skinny, intact stray abandoned in the national forest when he was four years old. He is an absolute cuddlebug, very animated, and up until this summer (and especially now that I have the doggie door) he always had to be wherever I was at home. Now he actually likes to stay out in the yard at night, often all night, instead of sleeping in my bedroom which I think shows how much progress he's made with his issues. He's the most attention craving of all my dogs and that's saying something. Kit has actually backed off on the attention seeking behavior since he came to stay. I think part of that is because the two of them are such good buddies that he's made her less needy where I'm concerned. He is extemely biddable,more so than either of my other two. I've actually been able to call him off a rabbit successfully on more than one occasion. (Unfortunately that didn't work quite as well when it came to the skunk :rolleyes:) I'd also say he's a bit bolder than Kit when it comes to new things. And he'd be alot further along in training if I had more one on one time with him, but as it is, I can walk him off lead and he'll ignore other dogs and people that we pass (if I don't have Kit along). I do notice the whole being on patrol thing seems to be part of his personality. He'll be very alert and very forward on the trail, ears perked and ready for anything. I don't consider myself any kind of authority, but I have known many other aussies, none of which were as protective as he is, but I understand that trait is not completely unusual.

I took this picture of him while he was still at the pound. I initially turned him over to animal control after I found him, hoping his owners would come claim him. You can see how frayed his coat was.

image1.jpg

Here he is now in all his glory:

IMG_1615-1.jpg

So AJ, what's going on with this new potential pup? C'mon spill!

Here is a link from the BC Rescue Board I had bookmarked a while back that might help with your decision:

http://bcrescue.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t...18b529746919970

In any case, hello! I just recently introduced Mojo in the Gallery section. Since he was found as a stray, as well, I am not certain that he is all Aussie, but the general consensus is that he is at least an Aussie mixed with a BC, and from the Aussie Rescue and working Aussie people with whom I have spoken, Mojo seems to act more like an Aussie than a BC. By no means do I have much practical experience with either Aussies or BCs, but you asked for anecdotal "data," so here it is! :D

Around here, there seem to be far more BCs in agility than Aussies, but there are still plenty of Aussies. I don't have much experience with flyball, so I can't answer that for you, but I know that Mojo has ZERO natural desire to retrieve (he has a strong chase/prey drive, and will often run after the thrown object, but he won't bring it back on his own)--I have had to train him to retrieve as if it were a trick (i.e., he will bring an object back for a click/treat), and he will not retrieve if there are other, more interesting distractions (almost anything will get him to ignore a ball/toy--however [thankfully] he is very food-motivated, so we do our training that way).

I have to agree with pretty much everything Nancy in AZ wrote. First of all, I definitely would not say that my dog is "laid back." He is also quite easily excitable, and is extremely ecstatic to do/go whatever/wherever/whenever. When I come home from work, it is a Really Big Deal. When we go out, it is a Really Big Deal. When it is time for training, it is also a Really Big Deal. No matter how many times I come home from work, we go out, or we have a training session, his excitement never slackens--it is like he has won the lottery. Just like Nancy's dog, Mojo also does laps of the house, racing from room to room because he is totally unable to contain himself to one location, "Woo-woo-wooing" his excitement, wiggling all over and twisting into a "U" of joy. He often will have to stop and get a drink of water because he has worn himself out, but then will come bounding back to recommence his over-the-top greeting. When he is happy, he is H.A.P.P.Y., and it is very endearing to watch.

Mojo is similarly extremely energetic outdoors. Aside from the above, however, his indoor energy level is quite low--my Bichon will be clamoring for food at mealtimes, but Mojo will lie down and patiently wait his turn. Mojo is not destructive, and does not get into any trouble indoors--he essentially just lies down/sleeps if there is nothing going on, waiting for me until I am ready to do something with him, which is quite amazing.

Mojo is also a very Velcro dog (which, again, I think is very typical of Aussie behavior). He follows me everywhere I go in the house, including the bathroom (lays on the bathroom floor while I take a shower), and sleeps under my desk with his head on one of my feet when I work on the computer. He does not enjoy being in the yard by himself for a single second--I can't even imagine him sleeping outside at night!! If we are outside in the yard together and he is happily sniffing grass/trees/bushes, and I leave the yard for even a minute to go check on something indoors, he will quickly realize I am no longer supervising him (I can see him through the window--it generally takes him one minute or less) and he will instantly leave what he is doing to run to the front doorstep and await my return.

Another big aspect of Mojo's personality: he LOVES to bark, and from what I understand, Aussies are very vocal compared to BCs. If we lived in the country, I would have zero problem with this--it would even be preferable for him to bark if a stranger happened to walk by our property in a sparsely populated area (where, I would imagine, most working Aussies live)...but seeing as we live in a very dense city neighborhood, I am constantly having to shush him, since Mojo's bark is also extremely loud, and the noise carries quite a distance (as opposed to, say, a deeper-pitched bark). So, if you are thinking about an Aussie, I think you need to be prepared for vocalization as a matter of course. Mojo barks when he is frustrated (plaintive, high-pitched bark), barks when he is happy (the aforementioned "Woo-woo-wooooo!!"), and barks when he is defending me and his territory (growly, piercing, confident bark). There are also plenty of assorted sub-barking grumbles and happy noises--he even has several different kinds of audible sighs. :D

Like Nancy in AZ said about her dog: Mojo is extremely protective of me, and he is very suspicious of almost all strangers. One of the first lines in the Aussie breed standard lists the protective/guardian instinct and natural reservation with strangers as being breed traits (but that "viciousness" is not), and I feel that these features alone are not only two of the most defining characteristics of Mojo's personality, but they are the aspects to which I devote the most management, training, concern, and attention, so I feel that I need to discuss them adequately to anyone considering an Aussie! Of course, lack of early socialization likely plays a significant part in Mojo's particular case, but I still believe the natural tendency is there. As far as my limited experience goes, guardian instincts are generally not characteristic of BCs, but I'm sure anyone else on this Board knows more about that than I do. In all honesty, it is often difficult to deal with Mojo's levels of protective/defensive aggression (I actually plan on posting a separate topic/question about this soon). Again, if we lived in a different era or place, this behavior would almost be preferable, but in today's litigious society and the crowded city we live in, I cannot allow him to act on his natural impulses, for everyone's safety, including Mojo's. He has never bitten anyone since he has been with me, nor do I even think he is likely to do so, but his loud/noisy displays are certainly frightening to most people--nearly all of our neighbors steer far clear of us if they see us walking down the street. :D

An example: Mojo had to have an ultrasound a few months back, for which the vet doped him up with a narcotic. When I went to pick him up, he was awake and walking, but clearly out of it in a somewhat dream-like state, with his eyes glazed over. He could barely even wag his tail when he saw me. Yet, while we were out a little while later to try and walk the drug out of his system, Mojo still found the resolve within himself to come out of his trance and muster a growl when a man stopped to ask me for directions and came a little too close for his comfort. Thus, I think to his last dying breath, Mojo is and always will be on high alert during walks, constantly checking his surroundings for possible danger. He never, ever lets his guard down--even if he has stopped to have a treat, or a drink of water, his ears will be up and his eyes will be glancing around!

In addition, Mojo is very movement/sound/vision-sensitive, so on top of being "alert" all the time, he has excellent hearing/vision, and thus is very quick to react. Long before I see/hear the potential disturbance, he is already puffing himself up to deal with it, so it is quite often difficult to prevent his going from 0 to 60 in less than 1 second if I can't even figure out what it is that has upset him! He does not pull on the leash, but would prefer to walk slightly ahead of me; however, I insist on having him heel--I have learned that there is apparently a direct correlation between the amount of aggressiveness he displays when he is ahead or when he is by my side (i.e., if we see a dog and he is ahead of me, he will lunge, but if he is by my side, there is at least a chance that he will greet the other dog in a friendly manner).

He is also protective of his house, but I have recently discovered it is related to whether or not I am home. Last week, I was loading him and my other dog into the car at the park, and there was a cattle dog standing with his owner nearby. Mojo had no problems whatsoever as we passed the other dog. Then we actually got INTO our car. He went completely ballistic, barking/yowling at the dog through the windshield that he had just happily passed by. BTW, he also barks aggressively at people crossing the street in front of us when the car is stopped at traffic lights. So, I conducted an experiment: I went home and parked in the driveway, got my other dog out, and then left him in the car and snuck off some distance. At least three pairs of people and dogs walked by very closely to the car, and yet he remained completely silent and barely even noticed them pass--his only concern was where I had gone. From where I was hiding, I could see his little panda head peering out the window, staring off in the direction I had disappeared. So, would he defend our home if I personally was NOT home? After that experiment, I have some serious doubt about that. Perhaps it is better that way--I would rather have my house robbed and my dog remain out of harm's way than have my dog get shot because he was trying to attack the intruder.

Here's an interesting, relatively off-topic observation: at the off-leash dog park (where he is 100% reliable with other dogs--he is only leash-aggressive with dogs, which can sometimes make going into or out of the park on-leash difficult), he will act as a kind of canine referee! If two or more dogs are playing together in what he considers to be too rough/noisy a manner, he will go over, wedge his way between the two dogs, and then bark to get them to separate. [if only he could police himself a little better!!! :rolleyes: ] In any case, Mojo also does not like it when other dogs jump on me or my Bichon (he will growl at them until they leave), when other dogs walk in front of our house (barks/growls), and when strangers (particularly men, particularly at night) cross the street and walk towards me or otherwise make any sudden movement (he will full-out lunge/bark/snarl). I don't know to what extent he picks up on my own feelings, but I know that I am not of a particularly nervous disposition--I am only worried that he WILL bark/aggress, not that I am afraid of whatever it is he is barking/aggressing at. Please note that this level of defensive aggression represents the result of EIGHT MONTHS of daily, intensive, remedial socialization, during which I have taken him everywhere and tried to make every experience with other dogs/people pleasant ones for him. He was much worse when I first got him.

So, do I think that Mojo will ever be as placid and accepting of everyone/everything as, say, my Bichon? No way. Would he give his life to protect me? I have every confidence he would certainly try. I acquired Mojo accidentally, without knowing really anything about Aussies or BCs, but out of love for the dog, I am doing my best to train him and to adjust my own life to suit his. So, speaking only from my own limited personal experience, I would say that if you are looking into acquiring an Aussie on purpose, first and foremost, I think you need to evaluate the protective instinct of that particular dog, and then decide if you can live with the responsibility that goes along with having a protective dog. If the potential adoptee is a puppy, you might not see the true guardian instinct kick in until puberty, from what I have read, so you may need to consider that, as well. My goal for Mojo has been to modify his protective instinct to the point that he can remain as alert and ready as ever, but that with increased socialization, he will learn to exercise judgment so that he can determine for himself what IS or is NOT a genuine threat to me/him. E.g., in our earlier days together, when people crossed in front of our car at traffic lights, I used to have to tell him "Leave it," every single time, and then he would not bark, but would stare intensely at the people until they walked clearly out of the range of our car, and then he would relax. Now, in the same situations, he will withhold his barking on his own without my having to tell him, and will only do the stare--but if the person should suddenly, say, trip on a shoelace or otherwise make any movement in the direction of our car, he will start to bark once again. At least he does listen to me quite well, and performs the vast majority of commands instantly on the first request. Like Nancy said about her dog, mine also has an excellent recall, and I can call him off of the chase of wild animals--we actually did have a skunk in the yard one night, and thankfully, I WAS able to get him to come to me!! Mojo's big failing is CATS.....we have a long way to go on that one. :D

I hope that helped!! Are you thinking of adopting a puppy or an adult? Pictures, please!!! :D

Thanks for all your help guys. You have given me a lot of good advice. I know they're not really laid back, what I meant was is that they will lay down and wait for you when you leave, watch tv and so on. They aren't up in your face all the time wanting to do stuff if your busy. I know how BC's are and I have been around a few Aussies. I mainly just wanted to hear about different Aussies and they're quirks.

Do BC's and Aussies get along pretty good?

Nope, no pictures yet. Once I know for sure I'll tell everyone :rolleyes:

I have two BC's and one Aussie. I got Bailey, the Aussie, from the animal shelter about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. She's about 2 1/2 yrs. old now. She is the one that is constantly "on patrol". The BC's will settle down and she will still be going from room to room. Checking things out. She is a love and a snuggler that's for sure. Ready to jump in your lap for a hug and kiss. :rolleyes:

My 1 yr. old BC, Belle, and Bailey are best buddies. They sleep next to each other in their crates, play all day long with each other, wrestle and take turns pushing each other around. When they get the zoomies in the house . . . look out :D it gets WILD!!!

Bailey is highly reactive to noise and motion. It could be just the way she's wired or from her past. It's hard to say. She will run the fence line and start barking when a car drives past, people walk past, etc., etc. Very annoying whatever the reason, so we are working on focus and redirection.

She's very intelligent, stubborn at times, but a fast learner. It seems she never stops moving until it's time for bed and she's in her crate. Then she's totaly sacked out.

I have too have to agreed with Nancy and Mojo. They are not laid back really and can get easily excitable and extremely energetic.

Good Luck and post some pictures when you can.

post-4507-1188273675_thumb.jpg

We currently have 4 Aussies. Misty is the old lady of 9 and is my husband's constant companion. Next is Keesha who is 4 and is everyone's favorite because she is so friendly and loveable. Then Sammy is our stud dog. He is a gentle guy who lets the girls boss him around. Then Alfie the baby at 3 just started herding lessons. SHe is a pistol and loves me best. She will be a good all around dog. They all take turns herding each other (except Sam). They all have on and off switches which we love. They are very affectionate and love kids. You can't go wrong getting a Aussie. N

It's interesting how many bc people have aussies too! I have Riley my sole wiggle butt, I agree with everything that both Nancy and Mojo's mom say about them. In fact they could have been describing him several times, when asked what the difference between between a bc and an aussie is I usually reply with this: A BC will do anything for you a hundred times over without question, with a big smile and bring you back an ice cold coke when your done. An Aussie will do ALMOST anything for you once or twice, then demand to know why they have to do it again, want to know whats in it for them, and tell you to get your own blasted Coke and bring one back for him while your at it.. Of course all of this is said with my tounge firmly planted in my cheek but its not without its basis. Aussies can be tough independent thinkers, they have to be to work cattle. They are vocal and have an opinion on most subjects, they can be a one person dog, I am Riley's person no doubt about it, he will go with the kids to play only if I tell him to, he will follow me anywhere no matter how many times I'm up and down the stairs in a day. They are protective of what they deem is THEIRS...toys, house, people, cats, treatbags doesn't matter. They are big softies on the inside, needing to be cuddled and reassured that YES they are the bestest dog in the whole world. They are very athletic dogs that need as much activity as a bc, but with regular excercise settle in the house nicely. They are great at agility and frisbee, hiking ,swimming, herding all kinds of stuff. I wouldn't trade mine anything at all and eventually will have another

I second many of the Aussie qualities that Nancy wrote. Shep is my first Aussie. (he has some problems from a prior life of neglect and abuse and our subsequent handling of it all). Curly our BC (he's a rescue also, some say he's a x, some say not) and the two are really different. It seems to be on the intensity level. The level of 'need' too. Shep's pretty easy... For instance, as I have coffee and peruse the board, Shep's chilling out. Curly is alert and perched looking out the window glancing at me now and then as if to say, "anytime you'd like to move you human I am ready". Shep as sweet and gentle. In fact among the many nicknames, he is "Sweetpea". He's super inquisitive. He can be clumsy. I've seen heard many Aussies are good agility dogs but Curly would blow Shep out of the water. Curly is an athelete. Shep is protective. He's very vocal. Shep has sold me on the breed. I would get another in a minute. I love having both and in another life I would have more of both. Curly is bossy and can be manipulative...so I see him to be a bit 'smarter'. Curly can be quite dramatic. For instance he can act utterly devastated-say I give Shep a treat or toy instead of Curly first...oh boy, he'll walk into his crate and lay down hard, sulking and looking up with the sad dog eyes. We retort with our usual, "oh the drama!" Reverse the scenario, Shep doesn't even react. I'd say overall our Aussie is simpler.

I am a novice dog owner and these two (being my own from the start) have given me quite a learning experience...

Now I am hooked.

Hope you get them!

Kim

PS we have a good laugh by saying, "Shep you dropped you tail! Where's your tail Shep??" He looks around and then looks back at us with his usual, I love you eyes. Its not too mean is it?

post-3783-1188307063_thumb.jpg

post-3783-1188307088_thumb.jpg

I'm new to the boards- and this is a thread I can contribute to.

I have a 7 yr old BC mix, an 8? yr old pb BC (rescue) and a 3 yr old Aussie, who was my first purchased puppy. Bramble, the Aussie, comes from working lines and has a lot of drive and a great work ethic. She gives 110% to everything she does, and she has great fun doing it. Sweep, my rescue BC, also gives his all, but he's much more serious about it. It's the same level of intensity with both of them, but a different perspective on it, if you get my drift. Bramble is also much more protective of me, and yes, wary of strangers.

The other Aussies I know also tend to be a bit sillier than BCs I know, yet just as energetic. This is only my own experience- of course each dog is an individual. I absolutely love having both breeds though, and it's a fun challenge to learn to work stock with both of them.

Jen, Daisy, Sweep & Bramble

I think Nancy hit the nail on the head. It was like she was talking about Timber, not her dog. So I second her description. I have had Timber from puppyhood and he has always been very protective and clingy, but not so much that it gets in the way. He is such a clown and goof ball, even when at his SAR training. He is the team clown! He is such a hoot to be around.

Guest LJS1993
I second many of the Aussie qualities that Nancy wrote. Shep is my first Aussie. (he has some problems from a prior life of neglect and abuse and our subsequent handling of it all). Curly our BC (he's a rescue also, some say he's a x, some say not) and the two are really different. It seems to be on the intensity level. The level of 'need' too. Shep's pretty easy... For instance, as I have coffee and peruse the board, Shep's chilling out. Curly is alert and perched looking out the window glancing at me now and then as if to say, "anytime you'd like to move you human I am ready". Shep as sweet and gentle. In fact among the many nicknames, he is "Sweetpea". He's super inquisitive. He can be clumsy. I've seen heard many Aussies are good agility dogs but Curly would blow Shep out of the water. Curly is an athelete. Shep is protective. He's very vocal. Shep has sold me on the breed. I would get another in a minute. I love having both and in another life I would have more of both. Curly is bossy and can be manipulative...so I see him to be a bit 'smarter'. Curly can be quite dramatic. For instance he can act utterly devastated-say I give Shep a treat or toy instead of Curly first...oh boy, he'll walk into his crate and lay down hard, sulking and looking up with the sad dog eyes. We retort with our usual, "oh the drama!" Reverse the scenario, Shep doesn't even react. I'd say overall our Aussie is simpler.

I am a novice dog owner and these two (being my own from the start) have given me quite a learning experience...

Now I am hooked.

Hope you get them!

Kim

PS we have a good laugh by saying, "Shep you dropped you tail! Where's your tail Shep??" He looks around and then looks back at us with his usual, I love you eyes. Its not too mean is it?

If Curly is the black and white I would say he is a cross. Those ears give it away. :rolleyes:

I have puppy-sat Jackson (100% pure crazy Aussie) quite a few times. Dazzle hates his guts - but sometimes she does have good reason for it. He an intact little boy and just won't leave her alone!

Overall though, Jackson is such a nice dog. Content to lay around or go play - whatever seems cool with him. And his brain is like a sponge. :rolleyes:

An Aussie will do ALMOST anything for you once or twice, then demand to know why they have to do it again, want to know whats in it for them, and tell you to get your own blasted Coke and bring one back for him while your at it..

:rolleyes::D That is absolutely hilarious, because that is so true of Mojo. He is such a fast and willing learner, but he definitely loathes [what he considers to be] mindless repetition! When asked to repeat something, at first he will grumble, and do whatever it is a couple more times, just like Pat W. said...but if I keep pushing, then he will rock back on his haunches and look at me like this:

"You have got to be kidding."

DSC00978.JPG

Oh yes Shep is really a goofball...he's quite silly.

As far a Curly, I call him a BC so I can be on this board that truly fascinates me. We tried him on sheep and no go. He didn't have it. If we did agility he would be a superstar I know it. I have set up a fake course in my yard and he loves it. Although he seems to get bored so I have to change it around. Oddly, he really likes to be chased. So Shep does him this honor and they do their major zoomies. Shep is in love with Curly. He's quite eager ro please as well. With the exception of eating the cat food (when he's busted he puts himself in his crate) he's all good.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you have gotten a lot of really great answers here. I just wanted to add (because I have been on vacation and didn't see this thread) that I too have 2 Aussie's and 1 BC and they all get along fabulously. My oldest Aussie (11) and my BC (7 months) play like they are both puppies and love to swim together. And my 9 year old Aussie loves to chase my BC around the yard as he is going after, balls, frisbee's, whatever he can find that can be thrown.

I do think my Aussie's are a little more laid back than my BC. They are old now but even when they were young they didn't have the intensity of a BC, however, they are loyal, and super smart, and sweet, and protective, and beautiful, and soulful, and excellent with children, and I could go on. Oh, and they have the most amazing eyes that can get you to do just about anything. I know I will always have an Aussie in my house. I just love the breed.

And now... Any excuse to post pictures :rolleyes:

My 11 year old Aussie and BC

Youwantmetogetin10.jpg

Best Friends

bestfriends10.jpg

I didn't see this thread when it was new either! I don't have a ton to add except to second a lot of what others have said already- I wouldn't say Arthur (aussie) is more laid back than Ingrid (BC mix) exactly, it's more that they are enthusiastic about different things. He is a total snuggle bug- and despite his ostensibly sketchy background- he has been since the first night we brought him in the house. He learns very quickly, but is slow to accept new things. For example, he has picked up hand cues to sit, wait, and down simply from watching Ingrid. He's incredibly bright. But, if we move a chair to reach something in a cabinet, he's freaked out for at least an hour. It might be their backgrounds more than their breeds (we adopted Ingrid at 14 weeks, Arthur wandered into our yard at about eight months) but Ingrid dives into whatever game, chore, activity we are doing. Arthur watches for a bit before engaging in any activity. Also he's not as intense as Ingrid- he'll break eye contact for five seconds every once in a while. They are both great dogs though, and they get along so well.

Guest WoobiesMom

Oh this thread made me so happy! I'd forgotten about it. I'm happy to see lots of BC & Aussie owners, I hope I join you soon! Are there suggestions you guys can offer to limit or discourage that protective instinct in an adult dog? This is a problem that we had with a former Airedale. He was very much a one person dog (only no one knew it til he came to us) and became protective against my kids! :rolleyes: If we get Sierra the deaf Aussie, she will be with me and trained by me most of the time but I want her to be accepting of my kids, other dogs approaching me at the dog park and strangers. In fact, I'm hoping that she'll bring Woobie out of his shell a bit with strangers. They say she loves everybody, so maybe she doesn't have that tendency or maybe it just hasn't shown itself because she's been at a shelter and now a prison and not really in a home with a family. I can just imagine a scenario where I've got both dogs out for a walk and Woobie is trying to run away from a stranger and Sierra is trying to eat it! LOL

All help is appreciated!

My friend Mary Ann, who owns and rescues both breeds, has said two things about the differences between them:

1 - An Aussie is a Border Collie with a sense of humor.

2. When it's time to bring the livestock in, the Aussie will come and get you. The Border Collie will just go out and try to open the barn door.

Amusing comments, but something to think about.

Kathy Robbins

It seems Arthur is the only non-guardy Aussie in existance. He's very jealous, for instance if anyone in the house is getting attention, Arthur would like twice as much as soon as possible please, but he's not overprotective. The Airedale we had as a kid- she was a PROTECTIVE dog. So if I could ask a question too, are everyone else's Aussies one person dogs ? Because Arthur's kind of a floozy.