BC Boards

Is She Getting Too Attached??

Porshe the rottweiller I have been watching for her owner is totally recovered and ready to go home now. I've gotten her spayed, cleared up her skin infection,(she finished her antibiotics yesterday) de-fleaed her, wormed her and got some weight on her.

The deal was to drop her off at the vet and then have her owner pick her up after the spay, then it changed to us keeping her a day or two, and then a week.

Now it has been over a week and he still keeps telling us that his house isn't ready for her to come home as he hasn't had the time to bomb for fleas or rehome the kittens or trap the mama kitty(she is feral)so I can bring her into the vet and fix her.

So... my question is do you think that Porshia getting too attached to us? She has started getting VERY protective over us and the kids and home. She has even gotten our dogs getting that way.

Her owner tells us she has NEVER been that way with him.

Yes, she has gone after two people that broke in his house in the middle of the night and drew blood, but she has never been a barker or protective over him like the way she is with us. Yet she is also very gentle.

To make it worse - he came to visit her and she wouldn't even come out of her crate for him(this man has owned her for over 2 yrs!!).

She always charges out for us, puffing like a locomotive and ready to play....lol.

Sounds to me she knows which side her bread is buttered on! You've made her feel better physically and probably emotionally. You show her attention and what love and caring really is. Her (previous :rolleyes: ) owner obviously brings back bad memories.

I know you want her owner to step up to the plate but if he hasn't done so by now, do you think he's going to????

To me it sounds more like she is taking over. This dog needs structure, and rules, and lots of exercise. I know I sound like CM, but really, she sounds like she is starting to take over. I don't know if she should be going back to the guy. You should probably start thinking of plan b. Thank you for helping this dog!

julie

Yeah she definately does need structure and although we have kind of started training with her, we just assumed she' d be going home sooner....

I do have to say though,that she is a joy to train and very responsive.

Also she is getting alot of excercise and plays everyday now that her healing is done, but honestly, now that she is feeling alot better, she is just getting to be too much dog for me. She is almost 80 lbs and as I suffer from MS and Fibromyalgia I cannot handle 3 dogs. And I as much as we love her- I just don't want another dog. I'm very happy with my two.

Maybe offer to take her, and contact Rottie rescue. They will be very happy to know the dog has been in a good, solid, stable home, and can thusly be honestly eval'd. That's what I would do :rolleyes:

Julie

Yeah she definately does need structure and although we have kind of started training with her, we just assumed she' d be going home sooner....

I do have to say though,that she is a joy to train and very responsive.

Also she is getting alot of excercise and plays everyday now that her healing is done, but honestly, now that she is feeling alot better, she is just getting to be too much dog for me. She is almost 80 lbs and as I suffer from MS and Fibromyalgia I cannot handle 3 dogs. And I as much as we love her- I just don't want another dog. I'm very happy with my two.

Maybe offer to take her, and contact Rottie rescue. They will be very happy to know the dog has been in a good, solid, stable home, and can thusly be honestly eval'd. That's what I would do :rolleyes:

Julie

I agree. Being a pet owner is obviously too much for this guy.

My husband and I would love to keep her as he is a hard core rottie lover but:

A. We don't have the room

B. We don't have the time

C. We don't have the finances(he has been paying for almost everything, I just tell him what she needs).

D.I'm already owned by two(kind of jealous)dogs...lol.

Have you talked to the owner and asked if he really wants the dog back? Is he not well enough to handle the dog? It sounds like he is "putting things off" intentionally. He knows his dog is in a good home, but as you say with MS 3 dogs are too many. I don't know how far you have progressed, but giving proper exercise is hard to do when you aren't feeling quite up to par yourself. Plus with illness comes depression. Believe me, I know!!

First of all, the man (is it your neighbor?) owns the dog, so he must be the one to relinquish it. You can persuade him ....for the good of the dog.

Next, if hubby wants the rottie, is he willing to spend the time training it and make it his dog? Will it get along with your others? They were there first and should be your main priority.

You have done a good deed. Welcome to rescue. LOL. That's basically how I started in OR. then it went way beyond that. I stopped when I moved to Idaho. No room for rescue in the city.

But give yourself a good pat on the back, because you have done a great service by one dog.

Thanks. Yeah I used to do alot of dog and cat rescues(alot of peeps knew I worked at the hunmane society and would drop animals off at my house)when I lived out in the country in Nebrask and shared a house with my mom and sisters. And we often kept most of the cats. :D

But that was back when I was healthier, and could work 9-14 hr days and afford it. (We had two dogs and like 5 cats). :rolleyes:

But now, my hubby is on dialysis and we are both disabled so it limits the size house we can afford and the size dog we can handle.

But I finally called Porshe's owner today, and he came and got her.

I will check on her often, and visit her to see how she is doing and stuff, (she only lives 4 blocks away)and if she gets to be too much, maybe he will relinquish her.

I have asked, and have even gotten him down to one cat and Porshe. But he isn't willing to budge, and give up Porshe.

Maybe he'll start thinking of her more now since he has her again. He probably got used to just paying for the stuff for her and not having to deal with it. It doesn't really sound like he should have her, but if she's happy and he takes pretty good care of her I guess there isn't anything to wrong with it.

Thanks for helping her and getting her all better. She's so much more happier now than before. She'll always thank you for it :rolleyes: