BC Boards

A bump in the road..

Sooo Shadow pees outside everytime I take her out, but she REFUSES to poo out there. She did once and hasn't since, if theres no paper down she just holds it (she held it for 48 hours when we ran out of papers =/) Anyone have any ideas? I've put poo outside for her to smell when shes out there, and its still a no go. Parents are starting to get a little angry with the 4 and 5 times a day poo in the kitchen. Its frustrating :rolleyes:

Couple of quick thoughts.... can you put some paper down outside for her? Dogs can become very specific about substrate preferences for elimination - if hers is paper, then I guess you have to provide paper, at least in the short term.

Can you think of anything, no matter how silly, which might have upset her about pooing outside?

You say she goes 4-5 times - can you pinpoint those times, and make sure to be outside with her at those times.

Can you think of anything, no matter how silly, which might have upset her about pooing outside?

Good point. Or the opposite? The first time or 2 she poo'd on the paper, was she rewarded with a treat? Even by mistake? (say someone dropped a piece of something.)

Guest WoobiesMom

You also have to make sure you clean the kitchen floor like nobody's business so there is no trace of a scent left. Nature's Miracle, a bleach solutions, something along those lines (Google "pet scent removal" or somesuch) to really, really, really remove the smell.

Then, you have to sneakily watch her and the minute she starts to "assume the position" you've got to make a really loud, unpleasant noise and take her outside so she associates pooping in the house with that unpleasant reaction.

She'll only poo when no one is around. When she did go outside she got treats and praise, inside we just clean it up, no praise or anything. We have one paper left, so she'll soon HAVE to go outside, I'll try putting it outside with her when I take her out later. (Had an emergency come up and only have .63 cents to my name for the next 2 weeks.. arg.. no papers for Shadow.)

She'll only poo when no one is around. When she did go outside she got treats and praise, inside we just clean it up, no praise or anything. We have one paper left, so she'll soon HAVE to go outside, I'll try putting it outside with her when I take her out later. (Had an emergency come up and only have .63 cents to my name for the next 2 weeks.. arg.. no papers for Shadow.)

if you can get her doing it on paper outside, do that, then gradually try reducing the size of the paper by half, then quarter etc until its postage stamp size, then remove! Sounds simple really, but whether it works or not is a different matter!

Well, I tried taking the paper outside, and now she won't go on the paper at all, even if its inside... now she prefers the carpet. She's been paper trained (newspapers) since I got her... now she is COMPLETELY untrained! So now my paper trained 1/2 housebroken dog is doomed to her kennel unless she's being taken out to potty. :rolleyes: Just the opposite of the plan, hate her being in the kennel 22 hours a day.

Well no expert here, I have heard some people here talking about NILF training, keeping your dog attached to you at all times via leash, while out of the kennel. They do what you do. I haven't had a problem such as yours with dogs, but I did with my son :rolleyes: He wouldn't poop on the potty, so what I did was watch him like a hawk for signs, then move quickly. I can't say that I would proceed any differently for a pup. Keep her with next to you at all times, when posturing ensues, move outdoors, walk whatever. For mine, walks stimulate a movement.

My husband has a famous quote when I was getting discouraged in the potty training with Connor, "Don't worry Denise, he'll get there eventually, after all we managed to train the dogs".

I considered him thoroughly trained when in our secluded country backyard (thank God) I turned away for enough time for him to drop trousers, poop on the lawn, then clean it up with the pooper scooper.

It'll get there, really

--Denise

I got her to pee outside just now, and I know she needs too poo (she ate 1.5 hours ago) after 1 hour of walking there were no signs that she intended to go. Right now shes on my bed, so I know where she is LOL shes good there and hasn't ever jumped off without my permission. I'll take her out again in an hour and see if she'll go... if not she'll go in the morning (shes in the crate overnight and hasn't messed in there once *knocks on wood*. I've looked up some stuff online and decided to take the papers away completely (its apparently a bad idea to paper train in the first place now? Oops!). Starting from scratch I guess! *sigh* darn puppies... if only they weren't so cute!

Guest LJS1993
Well no expert here, I have heard some people here talking about NILF training, keeping your dog attached to you at all times via leash, while out of the kennel. They do what you do. I haven't had a problem such as yours with dogs, but I did with my son :D He wouldn't poop on the potty, so what I did was watch him like a hawk for signs, then move quickly. I can't say that I would proceed any differently for a pup. Keep her with next to you at all times, when posturing ensues, move outdoors, walk whatever. For mine, walks stimulate a movement.

My husband has a famous quote when I was getting discouraged in the potty training with Connor, "Don't worry Denise, he'll get there eventually, after all we managed to train the dogs".

I considered him thoroughly trained when in our secluded country backyard (thank God) I turned away for enough time for him to drop trousers, poop on the lawn, then clean it up with the pooper scooper.

It'll get there, really

--Denise

:rolleyes::D