BC Boards

Cynosports!

USDAA World Cynosport Games (or whatever the heck it's called) is October 31st to November 1st this year. In addition to being the biggest, most exciting agility competition in the U.S., it also has flyball, disc dog, that silly lure-coursing around little jumps thing, and some sort of dock dogs. They do charge admission to spectators but I have no idea how much since I'm a competitor!

So who's going, and what are you competing in?

I'm going, driving from PA to AZ with 2 dogs (and 2 other people in another car), using (but not wasting!!) most of my paid vacation time! We'll be competing in agility, of course, and Kiba may try her paw at dock diving since they open it up to all dogs there as long as you register and pay a fee. Both of mine are smooth-coated B&W's who will be in the 22" class for everything (pending Drifter's re-qualification since I originally Q'd him at 26" this year).

Will be there with one dog Lucy competing in agility in Veterans All Around, 16". We made it to finals last year, but so screwed up it was embarassing. But at age 11.5 yr, Lucy is definitely just there to have fun. My other two will be "couch potato-ing". None of mine will do dock diving (even from the ramp), I won't let two of them even LOOK AT flyball or the lure course; and the one that tried the coursing last year was such a dud, it was cute. Last year, they had some "herding testing" - with goats. My pup "passed" even though a year later with sheep in a round pen, dog-broke sheep, his tail went down for approx. 0.5 seconds out of 5 minutes or so, and he only quit barking when he got tired. Maybe next year....

diane

I will be there with only one dog, Mojo, who is in my avatar (for flyball).

Whatever WILL you do with all the extra space in your car???

Dianne my mom is in Performance 16" with one of her dogs too.

Too far and too expensive this year! :D Plus nobody is qualified!. Watchout Rosanne, Breanna is now in Masters Jumpers with Meg! :rolleyes: In a couple of years I'll be toting her out there, unless a miracle happens and (GASP!!) Nationals come back east. Good Luck to you and your mom and everyone else... I expect postings about happenings from someone! SAFE TRIP above all its a long drive have a great time its a wonderful site in a great setting.

You've got time, Pat, I didn't make Finals for the first time till I was 14 :rolleyes:

They were in Cleveland from 97-99, I think Ken just really likes the AZ site and weather, and doesn't want it inside (plus it wouldn't fit inside anywhere!), so in AZ it's stayed.

Cleveland weather was rather unpredictable - hot and/or rainy (it was in July back then).

Dallas was also pretty crazy, that 2nd year was a MESS!

Usually they don't.

Back in '98 or '99 Animal Planet taped it, but after that they switched over to ACK competitions and come to USDAA no more.

In '02 or '03 some outdoor HD channel taped it, but I don't anyone has since. Maybe USDAA wants to charge too much for the rights? I really can't believe people would rather watch Fluffy parade around the ring???

In any case, if it IS televised, I'm sure they won't tell us until we're there. And it won't be live, either.

BTW they did tape some of the SouthEast Regional in GA in June for a Nat'l Geographic show called Dog Genius. I suppose there's a tiny chance my dog is on that, but I doubt it, as they never interviewed me. (they followed around the tall, athletic looking handlers :rolleyes: like Marcus all day)

It's in Scottsdale, right?

I would love to go if I possibly could. *hopes* Not competing, though.

If I can go, I'll have Millie and probably Lucy. I don't want to leave her alone but it will be much easier to handle one dog. My aunt lives in Scottsdale, so we might stay with her.

You're flying from TX to AZ? And here we considered PA to TX so do-able!!!

I just don't want to fly 2 dogs this year. I flew last year, but then you have heat warnings - several agility people ALMOST couldn't even fly home because of the heat and the dogs being in cargo.

It's almost as expensive to fly dogs for me, at this point, as it is to drive, and I like driving anyway, so off we go!

I like to be in charge of my own mechanical conveyances, as well, even though I've flown plenty in the past, I like to be able to see/stretch my dogs, etc. Plus I have an extra week of vacation this year so I figured "why not!?"

Yes the last year in Garland was a nightmare! Thank god the hotel had a washer and dryer. Unfortunately I wont have anyone eligable for Nationals for a couple of years. Riley is in semi retirement due to catracts in both eyes and baby boy wont be ready for a while, he's 1yr in Oct. So I will live vicariously through Brea until then. I wouldnt fly out either, I loved the trip to AZ in the RV and being able to see the countryside, 5k miles in 13 days w/ 5 people, 5 dogs in a 31ft RV we had a blast!. Even if I could afford to fly I wouldnt as Riley was so crate shocked as a baby coming from MN to me that I couldnt do that to him, Ashe is just too old for the stress. Again safe trip there and back say hey to all for me.

PS. Pa to Dallas is very doable! It's only about 28 hrs driving, have done it a couple of times as Matt has family in Sherman and Plano both north by an hour of Dallas. Agility teaches you two future vocations -furniture moving: shifting the contact equipment about 100 times a day, and how to be a future long distance trucker: 28 hrs to Dallas...no problem!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I don't have a bunch of time to take off of work so I have to fly in. My dog will be taking the ground trip with a teammate.

It's in Scottsdale, right?

I would love to go if I possibly could. *hopes* Not competing, though.

If I can go, I'll have Millie and probably Lucy. I don't want to leave her alone but it will be much easier to handle one dog. My aunt lives in Scottsdale, so we might stay with her.

If you just wanted to go for one day, if you could get someone to bring you to Casa Grande then you and the girls could just catch a ride with us. Would your mom want to go?

If you just wanted to go for one day, if you could get someone to bring you to Casa Grande then you and the girls could just catch a ride with us. Would your mom want to go?

My mom said that would be neat to go. That's a great idea! Then we could meet finally. The only doubt my mom has is fees to go, but I really want to go so instead of going and getting silly stuff for the dogs I can keep my dog-sitting money for entry fees/gas. Do you now how much the entry fee is?

Do you think you'll be back by then?