BC Boards

lookie lookie!!!

Hello all,

I would like to introduce Brody!!

He was born on 6.4.07. i purchased him from a breeder in MD.

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1867.jpg

Brodys mama

IMG_1839.jpg

so he is just a lil bit over 3 months now. and hes doing pretty well. He has a few accidents in the house but that is expected. But 8/10 he goes outside.

I just have a few questions.

He chews EVEYTHING. is that normal. im assuming he will just grow out of it(I HOPE) i have a ton of his toys laying around all day/night.

he was being crate trained when i got him. the first few nights he was so good , i didnt have to put him inthere to sleep. but now he fights me and barks and cries and goes crazy. what am i doing wrong?

Guest WoobiesMom

Congrats! He's a cutie. Make sure he has lots of acceptable chewing things, correct him for chewing the wrong things, spray them with Bitter Apple, then show him the right things. I've had the best success crating in the bedroom with me at night, they seem to settle better if they can hear/see/smell you.

Have fun!

He's so cute!!!! Congrats on the new pup.

Yep, puppies will chew EVERYTHING!!. With a little work and time he'll grow out of it.

Try putting the crate right by you at night. They (puppies and adults) like being close to you at night. I also give Black Jack a cookie when I put him to bed in his crate. So he looks forward to it. Good luck :rolleyes:

Congrats on your new addition! What a cutie! :rolleyes:

Chewing of course is a part of raising a puppy. Just try to keep things that are valuable up, and if you find him chewing on things he shouldn't gently replace it with something else and reward for playing with/chewing the "acceptable" toy.

Keep the crate near you so he feels safe. Make the crate a nice place to go. Give him a great treat when he goes in there or something to chew on. Make sure he isn't in there too long. If he is whining while he is in there and barking to get out just ignore it, otherwise you will be reinforcing that behavior and he'll keep doing it.

My 11 year old still chews! I found when they were teething that a frozen wash cloth was the best - when it got sloppy I rung it out, rinsed it out and froze it again. I alway kept 2-3 in the freezer!

I too had troubles getting my two to calm down in the crate at night. I covered the back half of it with a blanket to make it dark but left enough of the front half so they could still see us in the bed.

Your new "baby" is absolutely adorable - those eyes! Enjoy your puppy time because it goes fast.

ah ha ha ha yep, welcome to the world of chewers... my boy pup was much worse than all 3 of my girls. I also keep their crates in the bedroom at night. I've heard (and feel that it works) to always praise heavily (and treat if you like) when they go in the crate at night (I usually toss a yummy treat in the back of the crate to get them used to going in without having to be 'helped'). But when I let them out of the crates I never say a word or praise or anything ... it is a reward in itself coming out and so the happy voice should be when he goes in. That's what I was told on how to crate train and it has worked for me. It does take some time and especially when they were young, I'd put the 'kids' to bed an hour or two before I went to bed so that they would have the expeirence of calmly going in their crates and having the lights go out so they could settle down without me being there as a distraction (or tempted to let them out if they started to whine). <whew, that was a long run-on sentence, sorry!>

Hope that helps and maybe some others will have some better advice...I've only been doing this for almost 2 years.

ETA: DUH, completely forgot to comment on how absolutely ADORIBLE your little guy is... I love the nose buggers...my red and white BCs had those as puppies... He's just too cute for words!

Congrats! He's a cutie. Make sure he has lots of acceptable chewing things, correct him for chewing the wrong things, spray them with Bitter Apple, then show him the right things. I've had the best success crating in the bedroom with me at night, they seem to settle better if they can hear/see/smell you.

Have fun!

comment on the bitter apple - some dogs loooove it, so you might want to test it out on something neutral before smearing it over prized possessions.

The nose color was mentioned, will it change from pink to black as the puppy ages? Never had a BC puppy. My rescues always just camr with a nose and I was thankful! haha! :rolleyes:

The nose is pink when they are puppies and should change as they grow. Sometimes, some pink is left, but most of the time not. :D

I was told that the nose will turn completely one color (brown or black depending on the coloring of the dog)... and so far that happened to Clover and is what is seeming to happen to Zena... now Zeus' nose is completely black except for the inside is still pink...super cute!

Thank you all for you kind remarks..

i will have to try out the bitter apple and see how he reacts to it.

i tired doing what you guys said about putting the create closer to my bed and it worked out well. he cried for a few hrs but then went to bed. I orignally had him at the foot of my bed so he can see me. i moved hhim to the head of the bed. seems to work alot better.

Jussy,

Just remember not to react when he's making a fuss in his crate. You don't want to inadvertently teach him that fussing in the crate = attention. This doesn't apply to situations where he wakes you up in the middle of the night because then he's likely trying to tell you he needs to go potty (but if you take him outside and he really just wants to play, back in the crate he goes). If he's just making noise (i.e., not telling you he has to go out), then always try to wait for a quiet spell to get him out so that he will associate being quiet as when you come to let him out and not the opposite.

J.