BC Boards

Testing hearing

Nancy Bovee

My Gus has occaisionally not responded when called from a distance. I can't figure out if he's ignoring me (common) or reallyh can't hear me (that would be very sad for a dog like him). Today I called him from about 50-100 yards up in the mountains and he did not come, but then I could see he was running around looking frantically for me - I was calling and whistling, but there were many echos due to the mountain and a large windowed building, but still, it didn't look like he was hearing anything. He was sniffing and ran off in the direction we had come. Luckily a small boy who saw me looking for him in the crowd told me he where he was - inside the coffee shop where I often go in the morning (and, it wasn't a Starbucks, good boy!)

My older dog is going deaf and I know what that's like, but how does one get hearing tested in a dog who can hear well at up to 50 feet?

I'm going back to my 50 foot line to make sure my recall is intact, but I'd like to test him anyway. Any suggestions?

I realize when we are just out in the hills that any really distant recalls are for both him and Earl (who has a dynamite recall when there are no sheep involved ;-( ) maybe Gus has just been responding to the movement and coming in too. (He doesn't usually wander that far if it's just me and him alone)

I don't know where you're located. But the only true way to test a dog's hearing, in particular if they are unilaterally deaf is by having a BAER test done on them.

You can read about the testing here: http://www.lsu.edu/deafness/deaf.htm

Kathy

Kathy - I may be wrong but I think you meant to type "unilaterally" deaf.

I have questions, too, about my Megan. She was BAER tested almost two years ago but, for some months now, I have had serious questions about her hearing. Like Nancy, I just don't know...

I would like to get her tested again but am not sure if I shall. I'll have to see where and how I could get it done, and the cost. The last test, done on both her and Celt at a clinic, was free.

Best wishes, Nancy! I hope you find out what you need to know and that it's good news.

Hearing something but not knowing where the sound came from could be signs of hearing loss and/or unilateral deafness (deaf on one side).

Mark

Thanks, I noticed he doesn't seem to be able to locate me when I speak from the balcony, while my other dog looks right up. The nearest testing facility is quite a ways away, so I'm looking for other indicators.

Nancy

You really won't know if he has unilateral deafness without the BAER test. I am an uni and most people don't know it until I tell them.

Kathy

How old is this dog?

I've noticed similar things as dogs get up towards 10 years or so, and older. Hearing does fade with age.

If the dog is younger, then as the others said.

There are dead spots on certain fields. How did the other dogs respond?

How old is this dog?

I've noticed similar things as dogs get up towards 10 years or so, and older. Hearing does fade with age.

If the dog is younger, then as the others said.

There are dead spots on certain fields. How did the other dogs respond?

This dog is just over a year old (baby). I'm beginning to think there may be some unilateral problem, but his ears checked beautiful and clear at the vet. That might explain his dislike of releasing to the "Comebye" side and his booking out and not responding to a "Down" (his downs have otherwise been very good) on that side. He ALWAYS wants to flank to the away side. Maybe that has some connection to his connection (audio) to me. Then again, maybe that has nothing to do with it (sigh).

Then, there's the weather. Neither of my dogs was working very well today. They just lead me on, and then thrash me. I might as well have had more children!

Nancy

How did his ears "test clear" at the vet?

BAER testing was $55 per dog when I had my litter done last fall. The neurologist told me he could tell the difference between normal hearing, stone deaf and some hearing.

How did his ears "test clear" at the vet?

BAER testing was $55 per dog when I had my litter done last fall. The neurologist told me he could tell the difference between normal hearing, stone deaf and some hearing.

His ears were physically clear (no obstructions or physical anomalies) I haven't had him BAER tested yet. It's a 2 hour drive.....

nancy

• 2 weeks later...
Nancy,

We had a unilaterally deaf pup (Baer confirmed) for a while; he would look in the wrong direction when he was looking for the source of a sound until he learned to compensate.

Mark

Mark, did you succeed in training this dog? How did he do? What helped the most and least? I'm trying to put together a plan for him, but don't have much to go on.

Thanks,

Nancy

Nancy,

We were puppy raising this dog for someone. The puppy was not trained up but instead is now the best friend of a young boy.

Mark

Well, I've decided to pull on my hip-waders and go for all I can get. We started our first sessions introducing signs today and it went really well. (I've figured out STOP, FLANK, WALK-UP, HERE, and THAT'LL DO, but I'm missing the sign for a correction growl - any help will be appreciated)

Nancy