BC Boards

NEED SOME OPINIONS PLEASE

This may sound a bit of an odd thing, but now badger is 13 and a very fit 13, i was wandering, wuld it be adviseable to cut down on his exercise. i only ask this because the other day Badger was at work with me and a little girl was playing with him all day, he followed her like a little lamb, it was lovly to see them together, she threw his ball and they just had a great time for 7 hours. of course being a BC he just kept going :rolleyes: but when he got home he was soooo tired he could hardly drag himself to bed, i worry he may push himself too far, i would so appreciate an opinion as i dont want to over fuss him because of his age, thanks all.

If he is healthy, the better shape he is in the longer he will live. I know a 15 year old BC who still does some light farm chores. Since he is 13, if he hasn't already, he needs to go to his vet for a senior wellness check. That would include complete bloodwork, an ECG and full body radiographs.

As our dogs aged sometimes they would over do it and be sore for a day or two. - Trying to keep up with the younger ones.

We spend a lot of time at a lake swimming, boating, hiking,

I would have my dogs take rests - otherwise they would literally collapse. It's good to exercise old dogs and let them have their fun, just keep a watch out.

I let my old gal of 16 swim all day at the lake a few weeks ago, she's in great shape, but it was too much all at once. That evening I carried her up the steps to her bed, the following day she was a little stiff, but ready to go again at the lake!

Nothing wrong with keeping a eye out for our old guys and have them take a break.

heck, I'm gettin old and need a break!

David

I strongly believe in the saying "you have to be smarter than the dog". My boys, like most other peoples, would work themselves to death. I had a cattle dog that would always "leap before he looked" and would get kicked in the head every time. Knocked out usually. He would come to, and rush right back in. We spent more time trying to keep him safe than we did letting him work. Like children you have to set limits. You know your dog best. Set some limits and make him take a break. Good for you for keeping him happy and healthy into his senior years!

Missy is 13 and battling cancer (the vet thinks she might make it through the summer, but not much further). She gets a daily walk along with Annie, and ventures out into the yard when we are playing ball with Annie; she generally sends her own signal when she has had enough. The vet said that exercise should continue, as the stronger she is, the better her quality of life for the time she has left.

Thanks so much for your opinions, its helped me to know more what to do with him. My BC before Badger lived till he was 17 but he always knew his limits and would take himself of for a long rest, but badger is the opposite. I think i will have to watch him more carefully and take him to rest somewhere, it was a bit upseting to see him struggle to his bed, but next morning there he was, stuffed toy in his mouth ready to play :rolleyes: Daviid how amazing that your 16 year old still swims like that. Once again thanks all.