BC Boards

Update on Ruben

Some of you might be wondering, so I thought I'd post an update.

Ruben is doing better. He doesn't seem as scared of everything anymore. He's starting to learn how to use the stairs better and he is coming near us on his own. He enjoys being near us. He lays at my feet when we're watching TV. I'm still not pushing him though and he comes to me on his own, when he wants to. I also have him set up with his own crate and he seems pretty happy about that.

I do now see another problem emerging though...he seems to have a dominance or food agression issue going on. Now that he is settled in he's testing us and I don't like it. I have been feeding him from my hand either directly or throwing it on the floor. It seems that when I can't get it in his mouth fast enough, he growls and shows me his teeth. I feel like he's trying to dominate me or he's telling me if I don't give him all the food he's gonna bite me. I don't know quite how to handle this situation. He's not backed in a corner and I am doing nothing that threatens him. If he was afraid of me, he'd have tons of room to get away from me.

When he did it last night, I decided I needed to do soemthing about the problem. I am not going to let a dog tell me what to do. So, I started feeding him...everything was good for a bit. Then he did his growling thing. I simply told him no and then I stopped feeding him and put the food away. About a half hour later I decided to try to finish feeding him. I gave him more from my hands...everything was good for awhile and then he did it again. I did the same thing again, I told him no and then I put the food away.

I am not sure if this is the right approach. I don't want to yell at him or discipline him, I just want him to know that behaviour like that is not acceptable and he will only get food when he isn't growling at me. We have a vet appointment tonight so I will talk to her about it, but if anyone here has suggestions, I'm always ready to listen. If you think I've handled this situation wrong I'd like to hear that too...I don't want to do things wrong!

Oh, and I think he's melting my husband's heart...I really don't think I can keep 3 dogs!

I think your idea is a good one as long as he won't bite you for it - removing the item he wants when he demands it should help reinforce that growling doesn't get him anything, which is exactly what you want. Good for you for not yelling or otherwise escalating the situation!

I haven't gotten the vibe that he's actually going to bite me yet, I really think at this point he might just be testing me to see if he can be the boss. I always approach him with caution though and make sure my movements are calculated. I am trying not to push the limits to a point where he will bite me.

Nope, he hasn't tested me on anything else yet that I can tell, however I haven't tried to do too much with him that would leave it open to be challenged. Right now I think his food is the only thing he has. Our play times are ball or frisbee, nothing confrontational like tug or wrestling. He's not allowed on the furniture, but he's never tried to get on it either. When we go in and out, he always waits for me to go first (and I didn't teach him that, he just does it). I am sure more things will turn up as time goes by, but I am just trying to deal with one thing at a time. I do feel we're making progress though.

My only concern for safety is with my stepdaughter, but she's old enough (11) to understand his issues and do whatever it is I tell her to do when it comes to the dog. Right now, her instructions are to not bother with him at all. He gets excited when he sees her, like he wants to play, but he's not at that point yet that i will let him. My stepdaughter is very mature and has learned a lot about dogs with our other 2. She often takes our other dogs out by herself for walks and stuff and she is quite good at training too, I trust that she would do the right thing. I don't trust him yet so I'd rather just avoid any possibility of anything happening.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things.

One thing to do while you hand feed him is to quietly praise him and be sure to keep your expression soft and non challenging. Be sure your expression is not unsure or timid, but relaxed and confident. You can make eye contact with him but be sure not to stare and be willing to let your eyes leave his now and then. Remember to BREATHE! :rolleyes: Other than I might not say anything when I stopped feeding him when he growls (not say "no", but just put the food up and walk away), your reaction and method in dealing with this is right on.

I always approach him with caution though and make sure my movements are calculated.
Make sure your approach isn't TOO calculated or cautious or else he will feel your uncertainly, and not knowing why you may be uncertain, react in kind.

Those of us who have dealt with these kinds of dogs need to put on our acting masks - acting confident and in charge even when we feel we're not. :cool:

He's one lucky pup that you're willing to do this work with him.

When he did it last night, I decided I needed to do soemthing about the problem. I am not going to let a dog tell me what to do. So, I started feeding him...everything was good for a bit. Then he did his growling thing. I simply told him no and then I stopped feeding him and put the food away. About a half hour later I decided to try to finish feeding him. I gave him more from my hands...everything was good for awhile and then he did it again. I did the same thing again, I told him no and then I put the food away.

So...how would you feel if someone was doling out small portions of food to you at dinnertime? Maybe, I'm just addicted to food, (or hopelessly out of date in dog training), but I hate the idea of hand feeding. We have 7 BCs who get their food (they each have their own bowls in their own spots) twice a day. I can and have taken food, bones etc. away from them (when I accidently gave one the wrong food etc.), but don't make a habit of it. None has ever so much as growled when I've taken their food, but I'm thinking they'd get pretty tired of being fed a few kibbles at a time.

Barb S

I LOVE The idea of handfeeding and do it ALL the time!!! Especially with dogs like this. I would of handled it exactly the same except like Deb Mickey suggested I would not say anything just walk away and put up the food , depending on the dog I might even put him away in his crate also for a time out during this time so he cant freely reinforce himself.. he may decide that growling gets him the freedom from having to interact with you. I had a little girl recently like this, her owners were working with a trainer and doing exactly this and it was not working, she kept going after them and they kept walking away from her!!! Part of the problem was that they were new trainers and created a lot of conflict and confusion for the poor dog. I soon realized after having her for a short time that this was exactly what she wanted(to be left alone..) so if she growled at me during a session I would put up the food , tie her leash around my waist and go about doing things around the house ignoring her. Initially she was not impressed and tried to lay down, and bulk ect. thanks to my nice hardwood floors and extra weight;) we went anyways. The minute she would relax and not be so agitated I would again praise and feed. She soon realized that I wasnt going to just let her be and started to actually enjoy working

You may find with a dog like this that it is easier to hand feed when you are out and about and not just sitting down in front of him.

Try using it for recalls outside, sits, downs, come to side , or just a random YES feed for doing nothing at all except being relaxed and good ect ect..

Sounds like you are on the right path, remember this may be a lifetime of modification and management.

Cheers

Cindy

I had him to the vet today and she seems to think that I have been doing things right. She also didn't think I need to go to a behaviourist with him. She said I can if I want to but she seems to think I have a good handle on the situation and what I am doing is the right thing so far. She said to give her an update next week on his progress and if he's still improving then we'll just keep going as we have been.

I have to give credit for my methods to you wonderful people on this board. You've given me a lot of good advice!

She is on board with the hand feeding, she said that the dogs needs to understand and respect humans and she feels a lot of his problem is he doesn't, mainly because he spent most of his life on his own. She also said making him work for his food all the time is a great idea. She really thinks the "nothing in life is free" philosophy os a good idea in this case. She also suggested getting him accustomed to a gentle leader and making him wear it when we are interacting with him. Just because if he does try to snap or bite, it will give me more control to redirect his head. That sounded like a good idea to me too, more for our safety than anything.

Thanks again for all the help and good advice. I will keep you posted as he progresses!