BC Boards

Can anyone else converse with their dog?

:D I cant understand what either of you are saying but thats pretty cool :D

there's a saying: "Of course it's okay to talk to your dog. Just talk sense". You must be talkin sense cause she's listening lol.

lol :rolleyes: I have no idea what I was saying either but she didnt seem to be bothered by it lol. She usually stops doing whatever is so funny when she see's the camera so I was happy I got her to do it lol

I meow back to my cats, but my dogs are pretty quiet unless they are barking at something very specific. Instead of woofing, you can start doing, 'woof, speak' and then Riven will woof and pretty soon you could fade out the woof and just use speak. :rolleyes:

I meow back to my cats, but my dogs are pretty quiet unless they are barking at something very specific. Instead of woofing, you can start doing, 'woof, speak' and then Riven will woof and pretty soon you could fade out the woof and just use speak. :rolleyes:

She knows speak as well, but she doesnt do it nearly as enthusiastically.

Your barking is very convincing. I wouldn't have known it wasn't another dog if you hadn't said so.

Solo will bark if I ask him "WHAT?" really loudly. And I can often make him roo by saying, "Roo roo!"

Solo also likes rolling around on the floor and making a combination of Chewbacca and gorilla noises while he does it. He makes more noises and rolls around with more vigor if you say "grrrrr, roo, grrrrr" while he's doing it.

I caw back at ravens, so I'm certainly not going to fault anyone for trying to speak dog.

I can with my dog, English-Bark, but only with "yes or no" questions. When Buddy wants something, I say, "Is it Lily?" (the neighbor's dog) or "Is it Paul?" (the treat-giving neighbor) or "Is it a kitty?" Buddy will give a single, loud, enthusiastic ARF! only when I've asked him about whatever it is that's exciting him. He won't say "yes" for Lily" if he's trying to get a ktity. :rolleyes: And his "no" is an obvious disregard for my words. LOL

Mary

LOL, no, I can't do that!

I do howl with Kessie. In the car, when the windows are closed and we're out of the village. I wait until she howls along with the music, and then join in. Sometimes I get it right and we have a sing-song, which is nice :D. Sometimes I'm so hopelessly out of tune that she gets confused and changes to yapping for a while :rolleyes:.

I also find myself using the various sounds that dogs make when they're content, to tell them all's well and we can all stretch out and have a nap, etc. It's not actually necessary as they sense one's mood anyway, but it feels right. For them, having a lazy time is a communal activity. I like that! I learned it from Timmy (an expert if there ever was one!).

I talk to Sophie and Taz and they both talk back. I can bark at Sophie and she'll bark back when she's in the mood--usually when she is excited about something and trying to let me know. She'll come up to me and bark and if I try to bark back in the same pitch, she'll often bark again. This will go on for a four or five rounds before she realizes I'm not takng her alert seriously enough and she walks away in disgust as I erupt in laughter. I am terrible on my dog's ego. With Taz, I don't exactly bark, we more do a half roo/half growly moan thing. Again, I just try to match what he does. Our conversations last much longer than my conversations with Sophie, with differences in tone and length of vocalization, and if I do a variation on his offering, he will match what I say, so the conversations do evolve quite a bit. He will do it for ages with me. Always ends when I start giggling uncontrollably, kinda the way your conversation witrh Riven ended :rolleyes:

If I try to mimic Ouzo's vocalizations, he gets pissed off for making fun of him, and starts rolling and covering his eyes and ears with his paws :D Or comes very close to me, looks at me with head tilts, then gives me a strong kiss while pushing me with his nose in the mouth: "Stoooooop iittttttttt" :rolleyes:

Always ends when I start giggling uncontrollably, kinda the way your conversation witrh Riven ended

I cant help it!! It wouldnt be so funny but she gets SO excited and just very happy that Im talking to her. Although I must of said something wrong. She's traded me in for dad at the moment lol

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Too cute Donna. :D I talk to my cat...we argue. He always has to hvae to last word so it goes on and on and on. I've never had another animal that 'talks back' to me when I'm scolding it. :rolleyes: